Hey guys. I'm looking into making my gear all controlled by a single midi foot board rather than a couple of pedals to dance on. The problem is, I'm not sure how to run my ENGL E530 with MIDI.

What I want to do:

Compressed cleans
Dry Distortion

I can't really do this without dancing on a pedal board, but if I could run my E530 with MIDI somehow, this would be achievable. I don't have a rack compressor or a MIDI interface, at the moment, but I'm willing to spend about $700. What should/could I get?
What gear exactly do you have that you want to run with the amp? Go into more detail about how you want to run everything, then we can think about what would be the cheapest way to achieve what you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
When you say MIDI, do you just want to consolidate effect changes into single foot-presses? Or do you want to actually trigger effects changes in time with music? Because if it's the former, you could use a switch pedal to switch in the effects and the amp at the same time. I'm not entirely sure how the footswitch is wired up on your amp, but it would probably have to be a custom-built job. I'm sure you could easily get someone to wire one up for you for less than $700, though.

If it's the latter, well that's a different sort of proposition. You would probably need some kind of computer-based MIDI system to switch effects and amp settings in and out at certain points in the music. It can certainly be done, but it's not easy.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I bought a used made in the USA midi buddy foot controller for $50 to select one of 99 programs on my Marshall tube JMP-1 pre amp. It's kind of like having a 99 channel amp.

It will also select an effects program from my rack effects processor with the push of one footswitch.

Honestly I think you would be further ahead to just buy a midi pre-amp (or a new midi controlled amp) than to spend $700 just to change channels on the e530. How much is an Engl e570?

Last edited by BobDetroit at Mar 23, 2013,
Quote by BobDetroit
Honestly I think you would be further ahead to just buy a midi pre-amp (or a new midi controlled amp) than to spend $700 just to change channels on the e530. How much is an Engl e570?

An ENGL E570 is over $1000.

I don't have any gear at the moment, minus my preamp, power amp, and speakers.

I was looking at getting something like an Alesis 3630, an ENGL midi switcher, and a simple MIDI footswitch. All I need to do is switch from dry distortion to compressed cleans in one switch, rather than hitting 3 buttons as fast as I can.
Quote by The.new.guy
An ENGL E570 is over $1000.

I don't have any gear at the moment, minus my preamp, power amp, and speakers.

I was looking at getting something like an Alesis 3630, an ENGL midi switcher, and a simple MIDI footswitch. All I need to do is switch from dry distortion to compressed cleans in one switch, rather than hitting 3 buttons as fast as I can.

If that's all you want do, then a midi controller setup, IMHO, is way, way over the top.
There are much easier ways to accomplish this, but it will take some DIY-ing.

Here's my idea :A remote AB switch e.g., that switches your compressor into the input loop, and one single (doublepole) switch that controls both the AB and the E530.
Building your own AB switch and modding it to your needs is quite easy, and quite cheap. DIY kits are available around the net.
Good luck !