Regardless of what kind of strings i put on my guitar (aside from elixir, which i don't like the sound of) the wound ones seem to lose their brilliance and the plains start turning dark over frequently used frets within a week or less. I wash my hands before playing but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
how sweaty do your hands get? do you wipe down your strings after playing?

also, do you live on the coast? the salt in the air can **** up your strings pretty quickly.

yes i wipe them down, no i don't live on the coast. my hands get pretty sweat when i'm playing hard, sweaty enough i've seen spots of moisture on my fret board.
Try using some GHS Fast Fret. I think you'll find your strings last a little longer than a week.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
how sweaty do your hands get? do you wipe down your strings after playing?

also, do you live on the coast? the salt in the air can **** up your strings pretty quickly.

That wouldn't be it. I live in Portland, Maine (our main export is lobster, if you want an estimate to how close to the shore), and my strings last me a good month, maybe two (no I don't use coated). It would be more likely one of the first two
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Keep trying different kinds til you find ones that work for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Maineguitarist
That wouldn't be it. I live in Portland, Maine (our main export is lobster, if you want an estimate to how close to the shore), and my strings last me a good month, maybe two (no I don't use coated). It would be more likely one of the first two

depends on where you store the guitar. if i leave any of my electrics out of the case, the strings get screwed pretty quickly - otherwise, they're fine. and i live across the road from the beach.
The Fast Fret is a good idea, as I've used it for years to good effect. In your case, a rag dampened with rubbing alcohol wiped across both sides of the strings before the fast fret should help too.
Wipe your strings down after you play and keep the guitar in a case. Easy as Sunday morning.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by R45VT
DR coated. I change mine once a year.

Aurora's another brand of coated strings I like a lot.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Aurora's another brand of coated strings I like a lot.

Never heard of them. I will have to check them out.
Quote by R45VT
Never heard of them. I will have to check them out.

Available in tacky colors too!

Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I really want some gray colored strings.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by NakedInTheRain
awesome idea - buy ROYGBV colours and then string your guitar up like a rainbow.
The spectrum mnemonic acronym is actually, "ROY G. BIV", (red orange, yellow, green, blue, INDIGO, violet). No big deal though, you just have to buy a 7 string....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 24, 2013,
You could probably market that to the hippie acoustic crowd.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
You could probably market that to the hippie acoustic crowd.
Those were the days, when men were men, but wore their hair like women, women liked it, and sex was free and easy. But best of all, for the most part, sex wasn't potentially lethal.

Well sure, there was always the occasional armed father to deal with...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 24, 2013,
Quote by antisun
Regardless of what kind of strings i put on my guitar (aside from elixir, which i don't like the sound of) the wound ones seem to lose their brilliance and the plains start turning dark over frequently used frets within a week or less. I wash my hands before playing but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Do you wipe your strings down after playing? Washing your hands helps, but you need to wipe the strings down too.
this is prolly gonna sound kind of odd, but i put turtle wax on my strings to keep the moisture off, it works fairly well
GHS Fast Fret. I started using it recently. I used to change my strings literally every two weeks. It made a huge difference. Just use it after you finish playing. I just keep it in my pedalboard road case and wipe down the strings after every gig.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
I don't use chemicals, but I do wipe the strings down thoroughly with white fleece, or white T shirt material. Don't be shy, wipe the strings and fretboard vigorously, until the rag stays white, then put the guitar in its case of gig bag.