So this is my first tube amp. Had it for about 3 weeks, and I bought it used at GC.

I get a high pitched electronic hum. Here's a recording of it http://vocaroo.com/i/s0pzjT4Zp7zh

This just started a couple of hours ago btw

Is it my tubes that are bad? and is their any other way to diagnose this
BLANKBLANK
Last edited by Arfey McFeeshy at Mar 23, 2013,
If you just bought it form Guitar Center take it back.. They have a liberal return policy even for used stuff. They might offer to fix it for free.
There's no guitar center near me, I bought it online and I really don't want to wait another month to get another amp. This is actually my second purchase I don't wanna have to return this one.
BLANKBLANK
What type of amp is it?

Do you have a spare preamp tube?

Have you tried tapping on them with the shields removed to see if it is microphonic?
It's a peavey vypyr tube 60.

And I have no spare tubes, and I tapped on the two 6l6's but didn't hear anything. I didn't try tapping the preamp fuse though.
BLANKBLANK
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
It's a peavey vypyr tube 60.

And I have no spare tubes, and I tapped on the two 6l6's but didn't hear anything. I didn't try tapping the preamp fuse though.

Technically it's in the power amp- it's the phase inverter. You can try tapping on that with the shield off.

I forgot the amp was in the title. Damn IPhone.

You can order just 1 preamp tube for like 12 bucks. Get a JJ and test it out.
That does sound like crap.
If you don't want to return it then you really only have a few options.
Do a factory reset
Try the firmware update
Replace the 12AX7 phase inverter tube
Replace the 6L6 power tubes

If you are in the US you can go to tubedepot.com, dougstubes.com, or eurotubes.com

+1 to JJs

PS: I own a Vypyr 60