basically, i can usually transcribe most songs that I want to play but this one has me absolutely stumped. i cannot, for the life of me, figure out even one chord that is being played. this is one of my favorite songs but this cover is just beautiful and I'd love to be able to play it like she does in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FmUdrYZaS0

Any help what so ever is appreciated. Even if it's just tuning/if a capo is used/one chord/etc

the actual version of the song goes
intro: b5, c#5, E5
verse: b5, g#5, b5, c#5
but that doesn't seem to fit here.
now, i transcribed that little melody over the intro and between verses, and it seems as if she's a little flat/sharp possibly. maybe that's why I can't figure it out?
Last edited by RAAAGE at Mar 23, 2013,
OK, for the first couple of melody lines, she isn't anywhere near on key, it takes her a few seconds to gain confidence and sync up her voice with the guitar. It just sounds like she's got a case of nerves when she starts. No biggie.

I've never heard the original, but I think calling every chord a "5", doesn't help to determine the actual progression.

If I exchange your chords out for standard major / minors, we get: B, C#m, E, then: B, G#m, B, C#m and the key is most likely C# minor.

I'm hearing her play in A minor, open position (?) Both the notes B & F seem to be natural, so that's why I'm guessing the key to be Am /C. She's using an Am7 in place of or in addition to a C major. (Am7 = C major / A in the bass, in this case the open A-5 string).

BTW, you do know the melody line is being played on a second guitar. I think it's a prerecord or somebody's hiding in the corner. A reasonable facsimile could be played while strumming at the same time, but I'm not sure if she can.

I hope that helps, or at least isn't totally wrong...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 24, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
OK, for the first couple of melody lines, she isn't anywhere near on key, it takes her a few seconds to gain confidence and sync up her voice with the guitar. It just sounds like she's got a case of nerves when she starts. No biggie.

I've never heard the original, but I think calling every chord a "5", doesn't help to determine the actual progression.

If I exchange your chords out for standard major / minors, we get: B, C#m, E, then: B, G#m, B, C#m and the key is most likely C# minor.

I'm hearing her play in A minor, open position (?) Both the notes B & F seem to be natural, so that's why I'm guessing the key to be Am /C. She's using an Am7 in place of or in addition to a C major. (Am7 = C major / A in the bass, in this case the open A-5 string).

BTW, you do know the melody line is being played on a second guitar. I think it's a prerecord or somebody's hiding in the corner. A reasonable facsimile could be played while strumming at the same time, but I'm not sure if she can.

I hope that helps, or at least isn't totally wrong...

So what you're saying is she's changed the key from c#m to am? So it's G?something, Am7 and Cmaj7(closest I've gotten)? The Am7 sounds pretty spot on.

And yeah, I'm aware. What I meant was, I transcribed that little bit and he guitar sems to be somewhat sharp. For example, the first three notes are B, C, B. play those with it, it sounds off; play the notes with the slightest bend and it sounds perfect.
Quote by RAAAGE
So what you're saying is she's changed the key from c#m to am? So it's G?something, Am7 and Cmaj7(closest I've gotten)? The Am7 sounds pretty spot on.
Yes, the key is changed to Am from C#m.

Quote by RAAAGE
And yeah, I'm aware. What I meant was, I transcribed that little bit and he guitar sems to be somewhat sharp. For example, the first three notes are B, C, B. play those with it, it sounds off; play the notes with the slightest bend and it sounds perfect.
Yeah, the 2nd guitar's tuning is a bit off.

However, I'm coming up with the intro melody as (on e-1), E, G, E, C.....B, C, B...G, (G-3 0-) Hammer on A & C (Am chord in strings 3 & 2 ) and pull them up to the 5th fret, giving you a C & E. There's also a big Fmaj7 chord lurking around from time to time.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 24, 2013,