Long ago my Randall rg200's transformer died so I got a new amp and I as thinking I have a full board of parts on it and I'm thinking to myself I could probably build some pedals with that so I was wondering if there was anything I should be aware of like potential elecrocution hazzard ect. Ect. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Edit:
Almost forgot its a hybrid amp not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Mar 24, 2013,
Components are so cheap, why bother? Do you really want to put the effort into desoldering parts from a pcb instead of paying a few cents for components?

As far as hazards, check the filter caps to make sure they aren't storing a charge. If they are, discharge them. Thats really all you'll need to worry about besides basic electrical safety.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
12 pots and a buttload of caps , I want to use the capacitors in the power section to make a big muff on meth it would be a fun project. How would I go about discharging the filter caps?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/5215-official-procedure-drain-filter-caps.html

I just made a quick scan of that, but it seems correct. Basically any method of shorting the positive end of the cap to ground will discharge it.

Like I said though, check the voltage first, if its a couple volts or less the cap is discharged.
Quote by Kevin Saale
http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/5215-official-procedure-drain-filter-caps.html

I just made a quick scan of that, but it seems correct. Basically any method of shorting the positive end of the cap to ground will discharge it.

Like I said though, check the voltage first, if its a couple volts or less the cap is discharged.
If the amp is intact, the PSU caps should discharge themselves, through the output transformer to ground. The only way for them NOT to discharge themselves, is if they are disconnected from the B+ supply. Anyway, an easy way to do this is to work with the amp plugged into a power strip. Kill the power with the power strip's switch, which leaves the common and ground wires still connected, but no available hot wire. Then, simply turn the amp on, and it should bleed itself out.

But as you say, check the voltage, or short out the positive cap leads to be certain.

Although electrolytic can style caps sometimes have their leads into the inside of the chassis, and they're not real convenient to get to.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 24, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
If the amp is intact, the PSU caps should discharge themselves, through the output transformer to ground. The only way for them NOT to discharge themselves, is if they are disconnected from the B+ supply. Anyway, an easy way to do this is to work with the amp plugged into a power strip. Kill the power with the power strip's switch, which leaves the common and ground wires still connected, but no available hot wire. Then, simply turn the amp on, and it should bleed itself out.

But as you say, check the voltage, or short out the positive cap leads to be certain.

Although electrolytic can style caps sometimes have their leads into the inside of the chassis, and they're not real convenient to get to.

O, no doubt, but better safe than sorry, especially considering filter caps are about the only thing in the amp that has the potential to kill you when its off.
Quote by Kevin Saale
O, no doubt, but better safe than sorry, especially considering filter caps are about the only thing in the amp that has the potential to kill you when its off.
Yeah, that 300+ volts of pure DC will certainly confuse the shit out of your pacemaker if given half a chance...
Quote by Captaincranky
Yeah, that 300+ volts of pure DC will certainly confuse the shit out of your pacemaker if given half a chance...

Yep. Get bit once and you'll have some respect.
The amp has no transformer and can not be turned on. I removed the the transformer from the amp to lighten it a cab. Don't know if this makes a difference.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Maybe, still follow basic electrical safety. Check the voltage on the caps and if its a few volts or less then you're good to go, chop that biotch up.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Well I'd hate to see an amp hacked up just because the power tranny went. Can you find a new one and replace it? Seems like that'd be much more rewarding.
I'm a little confused, as I'm not really sure which, or how many parts, a tube has in common with the average all transistor / IC stomp box, but maybe I missed something....
Quote by Captaincranky
I'm a little confused, as I'm not really sure which, or how many parts, a tube has in common with the average all transistor / IC stomp box, but maybe I missed something....

Apart from a vast number of resistors, capacitors and diodes, nothing at all really.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
Apart from a vast number of resistors, capacitors and diodes, nothing at all really.
With all due respect, pretty much every electronic component on the planet shares, "a vast number of resistors, capacitors, and diodes".

That certainly doesn't mean they necessarily share the relative quantities or values of parts needed.

For example, the huge electrolytic caps in the tube amp's PSU, would be of little to less than no value, in a stomp box delay. Tube sockets maybe? nope.

If we accept a blanket concept of transportability of parts, I should be able to strip a computer motherboard for parts to build a tube amp.

Good luck with that.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
With all due respect, pretty much every electronic component on the planet shares, "a vast number of resistors, capacitors, and diodes".

That certainly doesn't mean they necessarily share the relative quantities or values of parts needed.

For example, the huge electrolytic caps in the tube amp's PSU, would be of little to less than no value, in a stomp box delay. Tube sockets maybe? nope.

If we accept a blanket concept of transportability of parts, I should be able to strip a computer motherboard for parts to build a tube amp.

Good luck with that.

I didn't say you would be able to use all of the parts in an amp to make a stompbox and vice-versa. All I said was that there are bound to be some parts that you can transfer. You made it sound as if they had no parts in common at all. I think you're getting a bit cranky, captain.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
I didn't say you would be able to use all of the parts in an amp to make a stompbox and vice-versa. All I said was that there are bound to be some parts that you can transfer. You made it sound as if they had no parts in common at all. I think you're getting a bit cranky, captain.
Not really. I think nobody has looked at the bigger picture.

The few parts the amp and stomp box and amp might share, are insignificant in relationship the total parts that would be needed, to build even one effect.

To create pretty much any manufactured item, by buying it in parts, will result in a price tag upwards of several times the finished item's, walk out with and working price tag.

So, if this is a science project, I applaud out TS' ambition.

If TS is laboring under the impression that "world domination can be achieved through pedal effects built from used amps parts", then TS is delusional.

You could possibly get further by buying surplus parts in "grab bag" form, than recycling used ones. None of this takes into account, cases, PCBs, I/O jacks, off/ on switches, effect OP amps and DSPs, which have to be collected, shipped, and paid for.

So, save your pennies and buy some pedals by Berhinger. At 25 bucks a pop they have a fairly full selection of the most common effects.

If at this point, you're planning a rebuttal based on which rock star, uses which super duper nuclear overdrive, forget it. They can afford it, and they almost certainly don't build their stomp boxes out of defunct amps.
That was pretty much my point at the beginning.
Quote by Kevin Saale
That was pretty much my point at the beginning.
Then please accept my apologies for not picking up on that, or if you think I've belabored it a tad much....
Quote by Captaincranky
Then please accept my apologies for not picking up on that, or if you think I've belabored it a tad much....

The TS doesn't agree with us yet, so keep going

Quote by Captaincranky
Not really. I think nobody has looked at the bigger picture.

The few parts the amp and stomp box and amp might share, are insignificant in relationship the total parts that would be needed, to build even one effect.

To create pretty much any manufactured item, by buying it in parts, will result in a price tag upwards of several times the finished item's, walk out with and working price tag.

So, if this is a science project, I applaud out TS' ambition.

If TS is laboring under the impression that "world domination can be achieved through pedal effects built from used amps parts", then TS is delusional.

You could possibly get further by buying surplus parts in "grab bag" form, than recycling used ones. None of this takes into account, cases, PCBs, I/O jacks, off/ on switches, effect OP amps and DSPs, which have to be collected, shipped, and paid for.

So, save your pennies and buy some pedals by Berhinger. At 25 bucks a pop they have a fairly full selection of the most common effects.

If at this point, you're planning a rebuttal based on which rock star, uses which super duper nuclear overdrive, forget it. They can afford it, and they almost certainly don't build their stomp boxes out of defunct amps.

Well I never got the impression that TS was trying to make some kind of business making pedals out of old amps. If so then I agree it's probably not the best business model. Also, don't try to guess peoples' comebacks because they are almost always going to say something you don't expect. That's the whole point in having a debate
EH