Page 1 of 3
Just for discussion what was your first guitar? Then where did you go from there? And what do you play now

My first was a bc rich warlock I got from a pawn shop cause I was 8 and couldn't see that it was shiny poop

Then I picked up a fender strat

Now I still play fender strats primarily
Affinity squier to Jimmie Vaughan tex mex strat (which died an unfortunate death) to an MIJ hardtail jackson dinky.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I started with a crappy ibanez SG it was about 7 years old and sounded terrible, my parents bought it for me from my mom's colluge daughter too see if I was gonna continue playing guitar. After 2 years of playing my parents promised they would partly pay for a decent guitar, and I got a 900euro Fender tele MIJ, and I'm loving it...
Quote by Kevin Saale
Affinity squier to Jimmie Vaughan tex mex strat (which died an unfortunate death) to an MIJ hardtail jackson dinky.

Squier Standard Stratocaster to MIJ Jackson 1997 Kelly KE-3

Pretty similar Mr.Saale
My first guitar (besides my old man's Ovation Balladeer) was a cherry Epiphone G-400. Sweet axe.

Now I play weird guitars
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Addonexus408
Squier Standard Stratocaster to MIJ Jackson 1997 Kelly KE-3

Pretty similar Mr.Saale

You missed the awesomeness that is the Jimmie Vaughan strat. Wouldn't have ever touched the dinky if I hadn't lost the JV, but I would've missed out. I'd heard good things about MIJ jacksons, but this guitar is one to impress.
This thread again? Oh well, I may as well update my list going back 18 years.

Some cheap acoustic.
Encore acoustic.
Squier Standard Strat.
Rockster Superstrat.
MiM Tele.
Epiphone SG.
Fender Stratacoustic.
MiM Tele.
Fender acoustic.
Epiphone LP Standard.
Gibson LP Studio Faded.
Fender MIA Strat.
Fender MIA Tele.
Gibson LP Traditional.
Fender AVRI 56 Strat.

I currently have the LP Traditional, the AVRI, The MIM Tele, and the two Fender acoustics. In regards to electric guitars I've definitely traded up over the years.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Addonexus408
Have yet to try one of those, but damn that olympic white JV strat looks mighty fine. A moment of silence for your fallen strat

Thank you. Yeah, I had a white one on loan until the black one I ordered came in. They were both excellent examples. I paid 600 new for the black JV I got. Great guitar.
Started with a cheap classical guitar
Got a Cort electric guitar starter pack
Johnson classical guitar
Maxwell electric guitar
My guitar teacher reconed I needed a better classical at the level I was playing at, so he sold me his Takamine EAN60C
The Cort and the Maxwell packed up so bought a PRS SE Singlecut which is now my varsity guitar
Bought myself an Ibanez Prestige SZ4020FM the other week to use at home
My first electric guitar was a cort strat - nice enough for a beginner s-s-h.

Then i bought a cheap blue moon dreadnought acoustic - horrible

Next i got given a bc rich kkv i hate it never really played it sits in its case.

After that a LTD deluxe h 1001 2nd hand - someone had nicked the emgs and put shitty pickups in it so i upgraded them to a seymour duncan jd & jazz

got fed up with a floyd rose and sold it

currently rocking a fireman frmtr100!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Got an epi les paul special II but gave up after a few months. About 2 years later I started again with said Epi, after a year I got my BC Rich, a few years later my acoustic, and 2 years ago my v100 which last year I put duncans in. My dad gave me an old burns he was given in the seventies a few years back but Im still yet to work out how to change the strings because of the tremolo that I can't find any info on
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I had a piece of shit strat copy and horrible acoustic, which I've both sold. Then I got an epiphone sg custom, and a squier cv tele. After I got bored with the sg, I sold it and bought a squier vm jazzmaster and squier vm pbass.
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's odd how much I disliked broccoli as a child yet now it's my favorite vegetable.

i used to make music. now i'm lazy. here's my soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/oleh-ustimenko
Westfield Les Paul (I hated this guitar, it was shit)

\/

Fender Pawn Shop Mustang - I don't think I'll be buying another guitar for a long, long time ;D
Squier Stratocaster from a starter pack, then I got a Epiphone 1967 re-issue Flying V.

SInce then i know have:
The Epiphone V
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez STM-1
Squier Telecaster Custom
Schecter Omen-8
Fender Stratacoustic.

For a short while i had a Kramer Imperial which was the heaviest guitar i've ever owned or played.

Aiming to grab a PRS now
Guitars
Sterling by MusicMan JP100D
Ibanez STM1
Epiphone 1967 Flying V (Ltd Edition)
Schecter Omen-8 (2012)
Amps
Randall Diavlo/RD100
Harley Benton 2x12 (V30s)
Marshall JCM2000/DSL401
Links
Soundcloud
Facebook
YouTube 1
YouTube 2
some crapy new acoustic for $30 lol. (kinda didn't make me want to play guitar anymore)
Then an Ibanez RG120 was what i call my real first guitar.
Then an ESP EC-1000
Then a Dougles 7 string from RondoMusic which is making me write a whole lot of 7 string songs and invest in to a new 7 string.
I bought a Rockwood LX90L from a friend for £30, it was okay for my first guitar, but it's pretty awful. I now have an Ibanez GRG170DX that my parents bought me for my birthday last year :') I'll probably sell it soon and maybe buy a Jackson or an ESP/LTD.
Got a Westfield strat copy (black+black PG). Then:
G4M Les Paul copy (black)
Vintage ES-335 copy (red)
Dean Z '79 (white)
Maverick X-1 (black)
LTD F-400 FM (trans. black)
Epiphone Goth Explorer (satin black)
Shecter Omen 7 Extreme (trans. red)
Modded up cheapo ESP F copy (satin black/matt black mash-up, looks pretty shite anyway)
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Technically my first guitar was a blue First Act strat-style guitar with 2 single coils. It barely made it through one lesson without going horribly out of tune. Didn't last a week. My cousin still has in somewhere.

My first "real" guitar (meaning one that was actually playable) was a candy apple green Squire Affinity fat strat. I played on that for a couple years.

At one point, I bought an old '96 Ibanez JEM555bk from my then-guitar teacher. It was around that time that I took my old Squire apart to mess with it and my mom accidentally threw it out so I just played the JEM555 until the body got cracked around the bridge and wouldn't stay in tune. I traded the old JEM body to a guy I met at Jemfest one year and he sent me a green RG470FM body - you can see the rebuild pictures on my profile.

While I was having problems with my JEM (around 2005), I bought a red Fender American strat (pics on my profile) that I still have to this day. It's my favorite guitar and the best guitar I own.

While looking in a pawn shop, I found a new Jackson DK2 Firestorm for $400 and I couldn't pass it up so I bought that around 2006.

A few months later I scored a candy apple green Ibanez Talman TC420 off eBay for $300.

And that's where I'm at now.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Kevin Saale
You missed the awesomeness that is the Jimmie Vaughan strat. Wouldn't have ever touched the dinky if I hadn't lost the JV, but I would've missed out. I'd heard good things about MIJ jacksons, but this guitar is one to impress.

MIJ Jackson's and Charvel's are awesome! Hard guitars to beat for the price, especially when you can find them for like $400 like I did.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Started when I was 13 with a:

Encore classical guitar,
Encore Strat which came with a Kustom amp,
Ibanez TCM 50,
Fender Custom FMT HH Special,
Jackson RR5,
Ibanez Jem 77FP,
Marshall JTM 30
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Electrics:
Johnson Strat trans red (Still have)
Epiphone G-310 black (Sold to a neighbor kid)
Dean ML Knight (Still have)
ESP/LTD EC-1000 deluxe Trans amber (still have)

Acoustics:
Washburn D-10M (technically my dad's but he doesn't play it)
Esteban cutaway (technically my friend's but loaned to me for indefinite period of time)
Gear:

Dean ML Knight= Blocked FR, 10-63 Dunlop. EMG 85(b)/81(n), custom battery

ESP/LTD EC-1000 AB= Duncan JB&59, 9-50 DR's

Line 6 Pod HD500

Washburn D-10M

Wanted Gear:

Taylor 214ce

Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Baldwin 706 (essentially my dad's that I used)
Eko Acoustic (ditto)
Squier Standard Fat Stratocaster (HSS, Black)
Ibanez AEL-40SE (Electroacoustic, recently rewired by my dad)
Fender Highway One Telecaster (Midnight Wine Red)
Squier Precision Bass (Sunburst)
Washburn Rover (travel size acoustic)
Dean Edge 1 Bass (Red)
DIY Guitar Shop DKM01A (Jazzmaster/Jaguar style, black, made by my dad)

Listed by order of acquisition over the last 8/9 years. I still own all of it.
Bold indicates my favourite of each type, but to be fair that Washburn has travelled all over the world and probably holds the most sentimental value by now.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Last edited by mattyp90 at Mar 24, 2013,
Well, first of all, I had my Squier Strat and an old classical guitar that my dad gave me. Now I play a Fender MIM Tele and a Fender MIM Strat. Also I have an acoustic that my uncle gave me that has no name on the headstock, so I odn't know what it is
Quote by ibrahimasood
Started when I was 13 with a:

Encore classical guitar,
Encore Strat which came with a Kustom amp,
Ibanez TCM 50,
Fender Custom FMT HH Special,
Jackson RR5,
Ibanez Jem 77FP,
Marshall JTM 30

Holy shit dude. Talk about an upgrade!
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
I got a Washburn MG-44 when I was 14 or15. Had a carppy teacher and two jobs so I put it down. Picked it up almost two years ago and have been playing since. My fiancé got me a Art and Lutherie Burgandy cutaway electric acoustic. Looking to get a Les Paul to downtown.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
My first electric spoiled me... 1979 Washburn Falcon. Aesthetically, as a teenager, I wasn't keen on it but I got it cheap from a friend of the family. The problem is it plays better than almost any other guitar I pick up, and it's worth around 10x what I paid for it. Why is that a problem? It makes buying new guitars harder :P
My first guitar was an Alvarez acoustic cheapie. After i killed it, I moved to an Ovation Elite.

My first electrics- bought simultaneously- were a Dean Special Select EVO and a Time Capsule Cadillac (HHH).

Since then, I have purchased (approximately in order):

A Jon Kammerer Acoustic
A Jon Kammerer hollowbody (SSS)
A Jon Kammerer double-cut hollowbody (HH)
A Jon Kammerer double-cut semihollow (HH w/coil tap)
A Jon Kammerer double-cut solidbody with trem (HH w/coil tap)
A Tacoma RoadKing
A Fernandes Ravelle Elite (w/Sustainer)
A Reverend 15th Anniv. Flatroc (mini-HH w/Bigsby)
A Fret-King Super 60HB (HSS w/trem)
A Malden Bad Karma (HH w/individual coil tap)
A Rock Beach CB-III custom (HSS; in the works)
A Rock Beach RB-T custom (HP w/Bigsby; in the works)

With the exception of the Alvarez, I still have them all.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 24, 2013,
In chronological order:
DAION Mark XX
Kramer Striker 600 .. the FR II was utter shit.. always breaking strings
Gibson 1979 Les Paul w/ emg 85 & 81
Kramer Focus 1000 w/an EMG 81 and reversed head stock
cheap Kramer..(from memory:had a tremelo but wasnt a floating trem) The line below striker IMO
Gibson 1985 SG "studio special"
Jackson 2001 MII DK-2 w/'79 gibson T-Top and customized wiring(kill switch,volume bypass,muticap tone)
ESP LTD m107

Only guitars I have now is the SG, the DK-2 and i recently purchased the m107..
2 were lost to trades and 1 was sold

two in the list where stolen by supposed "friends".. the LP and the focus.. give anything to have the focus back.. I still remember filling out the form to have it ordered

--SG is semi-retired and beat all to hell. Needs new pots and switch. Probably will get a pickguard made to cover up some of the battle scars
--M107 plays great and stays in tune fair. Planing to rewire it soon with a custom wiring a drew up. also making a custom pick guard for it
--DK-2.. NEVER breaks a string EVER and stays in tune really well... sounds awesome once I changed the SD designed by POS out of the bridge
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Last edited by Mufassa at Mar 24, 2013,
I always laugh when I think of this. I started in 2000 or so with an Epiphone Slasher. Now I gig/record with a Musicman John Petrucci Koa BFR. What a journey...
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Stagg Flying V copy
Squier Strat
Ibanez GSA60
Washburn 12 String
Epiphone Futura Prophecy EX
Gibson V '68
Quote by peppersghost08
Squier Stratocaster from a starter pack, then I got a Epiphone 1967 re-issue Flying V.

SInce then i know have:
The Epiphone V
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez STM-1
Squier Telecaster Custom
Schecter Omen-8
Fender Stratacoustic.

For a short while i had a Kramer Imperial which was the heaviest guitar i've ever owned or played.

Aiming to grab a PRS now

I'm curious, what was the Epiphone V like?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 24, 2013,
Quote by manikmunky
My first electric spoiled me... 1979 Washburn Falcon. Aesthetically, as a teenager, I wasn't keen on it but I got it cheap from a friend of the family. The problem is it plays better than almost any other guitar I pick up, and it's worth around 10x what I paid for it. Why is that a problem? It makes buying new guitars harder :P

i know the feeling man, i'll expand on my list a bit

1 bc rich warlock (sold to a pawn shop to help pay for my car)
2 95 fender floyd rose strat (the best guitar ive ever had, and still have)
3 gibson les paul silverburst (sold to a buddy who wanted to fix it up)
4 fender jaguar hh /
5 fender mustang / sold to pawn shop for various reasons
6 fender american strat/
7 gibson 335 /
8 gibson sg /sold because i didnt realy like them
9 97 mim fender strat hss /
10 93 mim fender strat sss /stolen about a month ago

then a few squires and cheap offbrands that wernt realy worth mentioning
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Stagg Flying V copy
Squier Strat
Ibanez GSA60
Washburn 12 String
Epiphone Futura Prophecy EX
Gibson V '68

I'm curious, what was the Epiphone V like?

one of my buddys had a stagg v that looked with it had car exhaust coming out of the bottom, he was so proud of it but it was such a peice of crap lol i never could break it to him
Started with an acoustic when I was 7 I think, got my first electric as a present when I was 10, an American Standard Stratocaster. It wasn't until much later that I realised how good this thing was.

Got a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR when I was 14, and an Ibanez RG2570Z Prestige two years ago. Got another Ibanez of the same model last month.

Still have all of them, only guitar I have ever sold was a cheap Ibanez GIO which I bought off someone very cheap while one of my others was being repaired.
My first was a "Lyon by Washburn" with H-S-H pickups. It was made of plywood. Eventually it started falling apart--the trem block started getting warped!

Next was an Ibanez RG170DX and I've been an Ibanez fan ever since. I also own an Epi Prophecy Futura. You can laugh if you want but I also got a newer Lyon off ebay to replace my original guitar...sentimental reasons I know, this one seems a bit better quality and hasn't started falling apart yet!
first guitar Red Univox Strat Copy with shitty boss 8 watt, sold both, upgraded to
Squier Pro-Tone with Fender Princeton Chorus,still have, then got an Ibanez RGT42DXBP sold, Line 6 Spider 2 Halfstack, sold, then got a Line 6 Spider Valve 212, still have, Applause Celebrity Acoustic, Sold, Blueridge BR-160B Acoustic, still have,
2 Ibanez SZ720's one in amber burst, one in transparent gray, (loved it so much had to have two lol), and most recently a 2012 ESP Eclipse in Mystic Black.
[1994]
Some old acoustic that I can barely remember

[1995]
Crappy chinese strat copy

[1998]
Some rockster thing
A couple of home made monstrosities

[1999]
BC Rich Iron Bird

[2005]
Jackson PS2
OLP Stingray

[2006]
Jackson RR3

[2012]
ESP Horizon FRII

I've had to work with some awful guitars in the past haha, at least the current rig makes up for it.
From Starter Pack to generic Fenders into MIJ obscurity.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Page 1 of 3