I have already posted this on sevenstring, but the more opinions the better!

All right ..for some time , I have been searching for a good guitar to suit my tastes , and found out the schecter hellraiser c-7 and c-8..but i have some questions regarding them that haven't been answered (just for your information , i want to say that i play more aggressive genres , such as metal , doom metal , gothic metal and so on, as well as clean atmospheric stuff)
Schecter Hellraiser c-7 :
1) The Pickups - EMG 707TW - I know that the distortion is great, but how about the clean stuff ? since you can coil tap them , i guess you can get a great clean tone , but i am curious about how the humbucker cleans sound like ? Are they muddy or are they clean , dark and thick (i prefer the thick tone over the crisp one) ?
2) The scale , which is 26.5 '' : Is it strong and long enough for a 7 string to sustain thick strings and to create a good sound?
3) How is the sustain on this set neck , and is set neck the bis for a 7 string ?
4) Since it doesn't have locking nuts like the one with the FR , does it stay in tune well?
5) How heavy is it and how is the mahogany wood ? is it great for heavy stuff and thick clean sounds ?
6) The biggest problem of all , the TonePros TOM bridge...I have never tried one , as my current guitar has a tremolo bridge...it doesn't look very comfortable ...it seems like it is going to hurt your hand , and being so small, i think you can't palm mute properly ... so the question is: How is this TOM and is it worth it ?

Schecter Hellraiser c-8 :
I was looking to buy the c-7 for over a year , and then this one popped up because of the Hipshot custom 8 bridge. Because I don't really like the TOM , i started looking around and saw this one...it looks big , strong , comfortable and beautiful! So the 1st question is 1) How good is this Hipshot and is it better than the TOM?
2) Pickups - EMG 808 - So on this ones , you can no longer coil tap, making it less versatile tone wise...so i wonder how the clean tones are? because of the tw on the c-7 you had a guaranteed great clean, how are they on this one? Is it easy to get a clean tone?
3) Distortion mode? How does it sound like ? Heard some songs on youtube and in most of them the pickups sounded really muddy, but in some cases they sounded great and beautiful ... so i guess this is where the amp comes in, to make them sound good or bad , or these people just can't manage to get a proper tone..or it is just the pickups that sound very muddy..
4) Already asked if the scale is long and strong enough for the 7 string , but considering this is an 8 string , i have even more doubts ...it is still the 26.5 '' one ..so is this scale good for an 8 string ?
5) Sustain? How is it with the Hipshot?
6) Does it stay in tune well ?
7) Is it an overkill? Since you can almost do the same things on the 7 string by tuning it lower , why buy an 8 string ? ( i know most people buy 8 strings to tap chords and create experimental stuff like Tosin Abasi , but i won't be doing that..i am not that skilled anyway)

Conclusion :
The main thing that stopped me for a while from buying the c-7 was the TOM bridge , which i am not sure if i liked or not, and the thing that stopped me from buying the 8 string was the fact that it had many negative reviews and votes comparing to the c-7 and a short scale for an 8 string...
After all of this , what do you suggest ? Which one do you recommend and why?

Thank you!
Last edited by SpeedosZ at Mar 31, 2013,
The number of strings should be your biggest concern here, not the bridge or pickups.

After you figure out whether you want a 7 or 8 string, you look at all of the available options. Schecter isn't the only manufacturer worth considering.
You're comparing these guitars like they're near exact. They are two completely different beasts. 7 and 8 strings are going to play so much differently. This should be your main concern. Do you need the extra 8th string? Think of that first.
Well i think that the more the better, as in if i have another string it will push me even more to train.
Quote by SpeedosZ
Well i think that the more the better, as in if i have another string it will push me even more to train.

Maybe if you're Tosin Abasi. Most people seem to have plenty on their plate with just 7 strings. Obviously you have to get what works for you, but more isn't better. If that's how you really feel, then you should get a 9 string guitar(unless there are 10 strings on the market somewhere, then you should get that).
if you have another 7 string, get the 8. if you only have 6 strings get the 7. that's my advice. and tuning a 7 string down like an 8 is not really the same thing. i've tried it.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
unless there are 10 strings on the market somewhere, then you should get that).

I have seen custom guitars going up into the mid-teens for number of strings. And I think Agile, BC Rich and a few others make 10+ string gutiars. Godin definitely makes an 11.

(Not all are suited for metal, though.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 31, 2013,
I do not have any 7 string guitars ...my current guitar is a cheap chinese 6 string crap , which i do not even even know what model it is (I am saying crap because it has grounding problems , pickups are broken(have to put my tone knob to minimum cause otherwise the treble soars through the roof ; and many more..).

Regarding "the more strings the better" , yes i like more , but my limit would be 8 ( even more than that would be an overkill for me)

As i said up there , i wanted to buy the c-7, but then because of the TOM bridge which i do not really liked , i set up my mind on the c-8; but then found that the 8 has that 26.5" scale which i have heard many people complain about..

Don't get me wrong , i know i shouldn't compare 7 to 8, but in this case i do not know what to do ... the only thing that stops me from buying the c-7 is the bridge and the thing that stops me from buying the c-8 is the scale( and tbh , i am leaning towards the c-8 at the moment, considering that for the scale issue you can change strings and kind of solve the problem ; but unfortunately for the bridge issue you can not change it from TOM to HIPSHOT without severely screwing with the guitar)
-Was also thinking about the Blackjack SLS C-8 because of the 28"-
OK, why don't we reset the thread.

Why don't you give us the info usually found in a "help me find a new axe" thread? Like budget, location, etc.

Especially why you want a 7+ string guitar in the first place.

Oh yeah- those scales should do just fine for such guitars. There are 7+ string guitars out there that are high-quality and even shorter scale, like these Carvins:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/sevenstring.php
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 31, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
OK, why don't we reset the thread.

Why don't you give us the info usually found in a "help me find a new axe" thread? Like budget, location, etc.

Especially why you want a 7+ string guitar in the first place.

Oh yeah- those scales should do just fine for such guitars. There are 7+ string guitars out there that are high-quality and even shorter scale, like these Carvins:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/sevenstring.php

This.

It sounds like you want a 7 string, but are only looking at one 7 string available. Why is that? There are lots of 7 strings out there besides that one Schecter.
I was looking at the schecter because i had heard very good reviews about them as having a good quality and being not so expensive
Sorry for double post , internet lagged and i pressed submit reply like a mad man ( i changed the post before this one because it was the same)

After like 1 year of searching and finding new guitars( not joking) , i finally found these 2 that suited my tastes and looked AMAZING ( my heart beats faster every time i see the looks) . One problem besides the others up above is that in my country , the stores here no longer sell schecters , therefore i wasn't able to try one out...this is why i had so many questions regarding them and i was and am so confused about what i should do..
Of course i am open to more suggestions danny and w4rp1g , and i am more than glad to hear them and change my mind!
so here is some info :
-Budget 1000$ give or take
-Genres i like and wish to play : Doom metal , Gothic metal , metal , Progressive metal, Post metal, a bit of Neo-classical metal, recently some djent, Alternative metal, as well as clean and atmospheric stuff
-influences- Depressor , Isole, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, Pelican , Tool, A Perfect Circle, My Dying Bride, Novembers Doom, Riverside, a bit of Anathema, Yelp, Type 14 , Andy James, Jeff Loomis, Ola Englund , Keith Merrow, Vanja Gvozdanović
-7 string ideally (@ danny : i want a 7+ string guitar because i want more versatility . From playing my favorite songs which require a 7+ string guitar to composing and playing around songs which need lows and highs as well. Also, having a 7+ string guitar offers a lot more new techniques and sounds that you can get out of your instrument.)
-Solid , heavy guitar from which i can get a deep dark tone
-no FR , never had one and i am not ready for it
-Hipshot bridge ( looks like being the best one for everything -sustain, looks , etc- )
-Pickups - don't know what to choose between actives and passives ...think passives suit more the above( so i can get a beautiful dark and deep clean tone ; a high gain one that can sound brutal for rhythm and chugging , and smooth one for lead) ( seymour duncan ones seem to favor these tones)
-Appropriate scale length , 27.5"-30"
-Fat solid necks like these schecters have
-ideally neck-through!! that can create a looong sustain or a set neck(still prefer neckthrough)( no bolt on!)
- wood : mahogany? ( the more deeper dark tone the better)
-finger board : not sure here ...something the suits the above genres and looks good

Thank you for having patience with me and reading these huge blocks of text!
Last edited by SpeedosZ at Apr 4, 2013,
Don't let the TOM put you off. If all you need is 7 strings, then by all means get the 7 string. I used to hate the idea of a TOM and never liked it when playing my friend's guitar which had one. But once I bought my own guitar with one, it took me a few hours to get comfortable with it, and now it feels no different to any other bridge.

It won't take you long to get comfortable with the TOM, but if you want more than 7 strings, then get the 8 string.
Ok, i owned a C-7 hellraiser for about 6 months, picked it up for $450 near mint with a hardshell case. I would happily recommend it to anyone. The 707s have a great full sound to them. nice thick cleans if your amp is capable of it. I usually leave my cleans EQ's pretty evenly though, just bumping up the bass and treble (would be different for each amp obviously, just my general settings i use). I've only played TOM guitars with the few odd exceptions like my Alexi 200 i had (sold to pay rent). I had to retune maybe once every few days of playing, so the tuners are definitely steady. as far as distortion, sounded pretty spot on when i started playing Killswitch Engage and God Forbid style metal. As far as the coil taps, it's kinda meh. if you pick near the bridge with it engaged you can get some pretty bright, twangy tones, but for me was not all that useful. I should also note i used mine in a baritone tuning a lot, so downtuning the G to F# and i usually tuned the high E to something odd like a minor third to the B string, just for variety and experimentation. Nice string tension, even when playing with the 6 strings tuned down to drop C with .10's. So my recommendation, find a used C-7. save yourself the extra money and put the rest towards something nice you've been wanting.
I am not a fan of the Tune-O-Matic TOM Schecter bridge.
I have a five string Damien V Schecter Bass.
I love Schecter Korean made & USA setup guitars.
Good solid quality.

I bought a baritone guitar with tremolo bridge setup.
I was down to three baritone guitars I liked: Schecter, Yamaha and Halo

The Schecter Baritone hardtail with TOM was not what I wanted.
Halo has baritones with hardtail TOM and Floyd Rose tremolo systems.
I decided on the Halo Baritone with the Floyd Rose bridge, FRose tremolo,
and FRose locking nuts over the Schecter and Halo hardtails with TOM.
It was an easy decision. I feel the TOMs are a working bridge,
but are middle of the road quality/tone.
Last edited by Toppscore at Mar 31, 2013,
starting to rethink about what should i do...i am not that sure as i was before making this topic, and i am starting to consider new suggestions ...so please , if you may post some guitars that fit the info i gave you earlier , i would be happy
thank you very much for your answers , i now understand more about TOM and hipshot , and i no longer require opinions about them..please answer to what i need now : )
only real downside to a 26.5 scale over a 25.5 is that you have to stretch a bit farther. if your looking to do plenty of downtuning then sometimes a longer scale may help with the tension across the neck. on an 8 string, a 26.5 scale seems best since I doubt youll be doing a whole lot of super lower than F#.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1