Ok so I'm selling a prom dress for the owner because I have an account on there and they didn't want to make one to sell one thing. The dress is no longer available, but I cannot cancel the auction as it has bids on it, and has less than 12 hours remaining.

If someone wins and pays (I messaged the current highest bidder to try and avoid this, and will message the winner after the auction if it is a new person) things can get complicated. I don't want to risk a winning bidder with an attitude demanding the dress. (Let's just say it's ruined, due to a...how should I say...unstable family member of the owner)

Quick question as the auction ends in an hour...can I just freakin' bid myself out to win it and avoid complications with another winner and not worry about it? Or are there complications that I'm not seeing involved with this course of action?

Thanks in advance fellas
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
Pretty sure you can just end the auction, but yes you will lose your listing fees etc.

You shouldn't really be in this situation, if the person asked you to put this item on eBay and then goes and sells it elsewhere then you are the one who gets screwed.
Normally, yes, the auction could be cancelled. But I tried this morning and an auction having bids, or less than 12 hours remaining nullifies that. The auction WILL finish.
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
Make a new account and place bids until you win your own auction.

Either that or just give the winner a re-fund once the auction is over. I'm not terribly sure how eBay works really.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
Make a new account and place bids until you win your own auction.

Either that or just give the winner a re-fund once the auction is over. I'm not terribly sure how eBay works really.

You can just do this. Once I won a Zune and then the next day the seller told me that they made a mistake and listed it twice and that it was already sold. He gave me a refund and that was that.
I don't like to drink too much. I just hang out with people that do.
Creating a second account for yourself is a bit dodgy, but you can get a mate to put a ridiculously high bid on it so he wins. You'll have to pay the fees etc, but you'll both get some good feedback out of it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by A_New_Level
(Let's just say it's ruined, due to a...how should I say...unstable family member of the owner)

Is it a sticky situation because someone wanked on it?
Quote by Extra Ordinary

My thoughts exactly.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
you should be able to remove the cumstains with a bit of stain remover
Quote by Extra Ordinary

I kind of need to know now.

Like, seriously, what happened to the dress?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
If you have a friend who has en eBay account, get them to make a high bid. That way, you aren't technically breaking the rules (making multiple accounts is and will be in big trouble if the eBay police find out).

Can you not edit the description at all? Did your messages to the bidders get replies? If you can't do anything about it until the auction ends, just message the winning bidder and tell them that it isnt available anymore and will give them a refund if they have already paid. Its at your discretion whether the dress is sent to the highest bidder or not as long as you let them know and no exchange of money is made.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Just message whoever is bidding or has won and let them know unfortunately the dress is no longer available as it has been ruined or misplaced or whatever and that you will refund them. Especially if you mention that you wanted to cancel the auction but ebay wouldn't let you, it should be fine.
theres an option to say it sold privately... i'm fairly sure there is. or as leony03 says, get a friend to bid a ridiculous amount that it'll never get to and you're sound.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.