Recorded this song almost a month ago but decided to post it on here meow. Its one of the songs for my spring album I'm working on Myself;Yourself. Starts off a bit light but I think I climax'd this song p well by the end.
Give me thoughts and opinions and I'll critic back

https://soundcloud.com/joshua1207/welcome-apathy
The part at 0:39 where the piano plays a couple eighth note twice (like, when it plays the same note two times in succession) could be improved if you instead changed the second eight note to two sixteenth notes, and had the first of the two be a step lower in the scale you're using; it'd make it a little more interesting.

I love when all the sounds add in at 1:18, though I think it could benefit from a cymbal crash or something else resolving tensions and making the transition stronger.

I think if you doubled the guitar melody an octave lower, you could give it a much stronger sound. Also, at 2:31, consider having a second guitar harmonize with it.

Also, around the 2:50 mark, you could give yourself a much fuller sound if you added in some higher notes on another instrument.

Overall, I think this is a really interesting piece, and I like it; I have no idea where you get your ideas from for all this... it's definitely unique. I won't go into detail, but I love Conformity.
Quote by herby190
The part at 0:39 where the piano plays a couple eighth note twice (like, when it plays the same note two times in succession) could be improved if you instead changed the second eight note to two sixteenth notes, and had the first of the two be a step lower in the scale you're using; it'd make it a little more interesting.

I love when all the sounds add in at 1:18, though I think it could benefit from a cymbal crash or something else resolving tensions and making the transition stronger.

I think if you doubled the guitar melody an octave lower, you could give it a much stronger sound. Also, at 2:31, consider having a second guitar harmonize with it.

Also, around the 2:50 mark, you could give yourself a much fuller sound if you added in some higher notes on another instrument.

Overall, I think this is a really interesting piece, and I like it; I have no idea where you get your ideas from for all this... it's definitely unique. I won't go into detail, but I love Conformity.

I wouldn't have minded detail about why you love Conformity, I'm always open for praise/criticism for my songs

But thanks for the words! Idea for this song was actually my friend wanted to do a rap song so i messed around in fl studio and i was gonna use the intro of this song as a beat for that but that rap song never happened so then I spent a couple hours writing the rest of the song (everything after 0:28) and then did a couple guitar takes over it and kept the one that sounded best.
Also thank you for the compliment on being unique. I always like to experiment with my songs, although I thought this was one of my more mainstream-formatted songs, at least in terms of song structure. Its nice to know that I still get a unique sound even when doing that
I don't worry too much about structuring; if structuring is the only thing making a track unique, you can hardly consider it unique to begin with. Then again, most of what I write is based off of post-rock, which has no conventional structuring other than build up/build down to tease them/build up/climax/something pretty.

Also, I have to ask; is the title an EITS reference, or is that just coincidence?
That is true, but the structure of a song is always a fun thing to toy around with. Very often we see the same structures repeated. I often like to go with a variation of post-rock structure in the fact that I keep things free-flowing and not coming back to previous verses, etc. although usually not done on purpose, its just usually how my songs come out. This one did have a structure though.

I am a fan of EITS, but the title is just a coincidence to any reference. I'm not really sure what thing of EITS it'd reference (Welcome, Ghosts maybe?). My song titles usually come from what I either think the song feels like, sometimes words/phrases just pop into my head while listening to it or a certain emotion is evoked from it. Sometimes they're silly, sometimes they're not, but that's usually how I go about naming songs.
Very original. I liked how crazy it sounded. I really wanted to hear cat meows in the chorus.

If you are going to go for vst instruments, maybe choose synthetic drums like an 808 rather than fake real drums.

Piano midi chords too quick and velocitys need to vary. Any fast repitition via midi sounds very fake Id like to hear the melody on a glockenspiel plugin. You really need vocals otherwise this sounds like cartoon or game music.

Guitar out of tune throughout. The guitar made everything less inspiring and original for me.

You have a blank canvas there. Maybe a brass section and timpani. Keep up your free thinking.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Mar 29, 2013,
Whoa, kinda surprised me right away. That bass and drum part in the beginning works very well. Then when the piano comes in, it has a real sense of being full. You did a good job with the climax. I love the way everything is layered, you mixed it very well. Your work is very original, please keep it up!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1594179
Here's an instrumental I did, feel free to give feedback if you like.
Thanks for the review man,

Song from the get-go kind of reminds me of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know" purely because of the slightly natural/woody timbre of all the instruments you're using - this is also down to the dynamics of the drums which are very "solid" sounding but I assume that you were going for that. Either way it's cool.

Sounds very soundtrackey at 1:20 where I think you've nailed this kind of alternative/indie sound. The tracks builds well from here on in especially with the quieter break before the end. All I could say is that the ending is quite abrupt - it feels like it should be a fade out kind of track.

Enjoyed listening to it, gonna have a listen to more of your stuff for sure.