nate_lazda
380 IQ
Have been really thinking about picking up an ovation, the only thing is my local music store doesn't carry them. Just wanted everyone's thoughts on these guitars and experiences with them, and if you would recommend it. Thanks
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
I don't like the way they sound, very bright. And I don't like the rounded back.
nate_lazda
380 IQ
yeah i wasnt a fan of the rounded back but they have a shallow body model and I'm wondering if that's better than the mid size?
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
I own a deep bowl Ovation Elite.

1: the deeper the bowl, the better the acoustic projection. The shallows are really only worth buying if you intend to play them plugged in, IMHO. Regardless of depth, though, all Ovations are very bright.

2: The slippery, curved back can be an issue for some, but if you use a strap, it shouldn't be an issue.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by nate_lazda
yeah i wasnt a fan of the rounded back but they have a shallow body model and I'm wondering if that's better than the mid size?
For the most part, they're not. The shallow bowl Ovations are made to be plugged in, and they need to be. They're very bright and lack bass, since they're designed to be "lead" instruments. Then there's also the ergonomic issue of being better able to "straddle" the thinner bowl, when playing standing.

If you decide on an Ovation for unplugged use, it needs to be at least a mid bowl, but better still, a deep bowl.

The tonality of Ovations is quite subjective, and of course everyone's, "results may vary", when deciding if they have, "your sound"..

But, as a general rule, the thinner the bowl, the brighter they are.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 24, 2013,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
A young lady who used to be in our church's music ensemble had a thinline Ovation- it sounded great plugged in and in that huge space...

Unplugged? Not so much.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 24, 2013,
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
...[ ]... Ovatin....[ ]...
Aw Danny....
stepchildusmc
413 IQ
I love Ovatins( i got your back danny) ! they have a very different and distinct sound.i have a shallow bowl( matches my conscience) a coupla mids and a few deep bowls. i can't stand the sound of the shallow unplugged which is usually how it's gonna spend most of its time. the mid-depth bowls sound very nice to my ears and the deep ones are excellent strummers. Ovatins( still got it danny, we Ovation brothers got stick together) are an excellent guitar if you like to play rock stuff. for playing 5FDP or A7X, nothings gonna beat 'em. they don't do very well with older rock stuff, i'm workin' on Zep's "over the hills and far away" right now and i can't get it to sound good with any of my O's. it's passable on my Adamas carbon fiber but i'm using my flatbacks for the older classic stuff.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by stepchildusmc
I....[ ]...we Ovation brothers got stick together) ...[ ]...
Aw Step, don't you really mean "Ovatin" here?
Quote by stepchildusmc
5FDP or A7X, nothings gonna beat 'em.
Just when I got the hang of "A7X", you gotta come up with "5FDP".....
Quote by stepchildusmc
they don't do very well with older rock stuff, i'm workin' on Zep's "over the hills and far away" right now and i can't get it to sound good with any of my O's. it's passable on my Adamas carbon fiber but i'm using my flatbacks for the older classic stuff.
A 12 string maybe.....
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
...Ovatin...

I briefly forgot how to type an "o"...it was due to head trauma from an overly friendly dog.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Edit: I simply cannot type today...and I'm even overwhelming my AutoCorrect!

alhaq369
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 24, 2013,
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
2,886 IQ
the medium bowl ovatins sound great unplugged, with lots of bass. my husband's 1778 tx elite t was a bit too boomy, but when he switched to DR rare phosphor bronze strings and the guitar sounded really sweet

the shallow body models often sound thin and boxy unplugged to my ears...
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
nate_lazda
380 IQ
yeah i would be doing most of my playing unplugged so that is definitely an issue if they dont resonate well unplugged. Maybe ill take a drive and check out the deep bowls.. thanks alot for the help guys
stepchildusmc
413 IQ
welcome nate. try out a 1778t or a 2078t great sounding gits. i love the Elite series. gettin' rid of one of my 1778t-rft's, i have 2 red one's... that's another cool thing about O's..you can customize them.
cranky, you know me and 12's. i really should pick up another one. maybe a cheaper Yammie. i dread the headache of re-stringing 'em.
stepchildusmc
413 IQ
just noticed !!!... Patti had the same english teacher as you Danny !! how'd i miss that the first time??? freakin' blind in one eye and can't see out the other... i tell ya.
IMtBike
158 IQ
There was a guy who used to go to my church who had an ovation (either medium or deep bowl - not sure which) that sounded fantastic plugged into the PA system. I tried one in a guitar store just unplugged, and it was kinda thin sounding. But if you plan to play it plugged in a lot, it would probably be fantastic. Otherwise, maybe not so much.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by stepchildusmc
just noticed !!!... Patti had the same english teacher as you Danny !! how'd i miss that the first time??? freakin' blind in one eye and can't see out the other... i tell ya.

Brain damage is contagious...via the Internet!

We're dooooooomed!

alhaq369
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by stepchildusmc
for you cranky...[ ].....this kinda music works best with my Ovations.
Yeah, that acoustic intro almost sounds like I think I remember the Adamas sounding.

Anyway good stuff, is that band comprised of soldiers? because I checked their tabs and there seems to be an overarching theme.

There was a thread in MT recently about "melodic death metal", I was skeptical about the "genre", but the song seems like it might qualify.

So, if you're going to pursue that direction in musicality, you don't need a 12 string. Just from a quick listen I'd say you need a cello, and (at least), a seven string guitar.

I checked the tabs, and everybody is claiming standard tuning in B minor. But, that sounds way too ballsy to be a six string,. and if it is, try it on a 7 string anyway.

The "Carnival of Souls" line is the title of a 60's horror movie. (If you didn't know that already). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_of_Souls
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 28, 2013,
jordanlodge
159 IQ
I OWN A ovation appluase AE128 there bout £150 but the sound is too quiet compared to a standard acoustic guitar and the pickup is a lower end one
stepchildusmc
413 IQ
simple drop D tuning. B, A Gm7(?) seems to me to sound better with the mid-depths vs th deep bowls.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by stepchildusmc
simple drop D tuning. B, A Gm7(?) seems to me to sound better with the mid-depths vs th deep bowls.
We posted this before the coffee kicked in this morning, maybe?
MyDogDoesTricks
14 IQ
I bought a used Ovation GC 057 with a medium bowl a couple of weeks ago. I own both a Yamaha FG 410 and a Yamaha FG 720S-12. I was wanting an acoustic-electric and had heard nice things about Ovations. The unplugged sound isn't as loud as either of my Yamahas. The Ovation is a laminate top while the Yamahas are solid top, so that may be part of the reason for that. The amplified tone is bright, which I like. The Ovation's neck is one of the most playable acoustic guitar necks in my opinion. I debated between the Ovation and the Yamaha APX 500II. I like Yamahas but I'm happy with this Ovation.