Hi,

I'm looking for help into getting a distortion sound for the kind of Mesa boogie, JCM style Punk but in a pedal. When the band rehearses we never seem to get the same amps or even the same typle. 1 time Marshall Valve the next its an unbranded solid state.

So Basically I need a good versatile pedal that can do A day to remember, Paramore, Taking back sunday style distorion. highish gain but Punk tone.

I am currently using an MXR Overdrive to try and boost the right amps but its not quite hitting the spot.

Any ideas?
Thanks a million.
Matt.
If you're constantly using different amps, just get a Line 6 POD HD500 and run it into the return of whatever you're using. Using standalone FX into random amps will never work.

If a PA is available, even better for the POD.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A pedal can only do so much....

If you're using crappy SS amps, even with a few nice pedals, you will really struggle to get the tones that you're looking for.

What I recommend is a new amp.

I'm playing in a pop/punk/rock band now, and my Jet City JCA50H has a solid tone for this type of music. You could pick up the combo version for pretty cheap.

Fill this out:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I'll look into the POD thanks.

I cant really replace the amps. The space we rehearse in is a hired room in which they provide the equipment and I'm not a driver so lugging an amp and guitar isnt really what i wanna do.

So I'd be looking for a decentish pedal to just get a decent sound for rehearsals and buy a good amp for gigging down the line. At the moment however I'm being eaten up by the Rth guitar which sucks. I'm just too thin soudn wise.

Gear wise:
Hamer Guitar, w/SD style humbuckers.
MXR overdrive.
A digital Zoom multi effects pedal but this sucks more than no effects at all haha.
Im in the outer London Surrey area.

Thanks
Matt
Quote by Matt.hat.
Hamer Guitar, w/SD style humbuckers.

Seymour Duncan style Do you mean Duncan Designed?

I second the HD500 route, but when paired with a good amp, a Wampler Triple Wreck, SLOstortion or Plextortion would be a solid choice, but only when using a good clean platform.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
AMT R1 (Mesa DR in a box)
AMT B1/B drive (bogner in a box)
AMT M1/M drive (JCM800 in a box)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Boss Metal Zone MT2 always worked for me when I was in a pop-punk band. Maybe add a phase for some extra fun. Boss makes a good one, but I'm a big fan of the Electro-Harmonix Small Stone. Just dial in a good clean tone on whatever amp you're using and you should be set.
I'd rather have a dirty shirt and a guitar than a clean shirt and no music.

Turn my amp up to 11 six nickel-wound strings have saved me again.

music + food + beer= the good life
If you're paying for the space just request that the amps you want be there when you rehearse.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.