I've just had a quick look at how my future profession is doing in Germany, and as it turns out, Germany is close to officially recognizing optometry as a profession.

This pleases me greatly.

Since I've lived in Hamburg and made peace with it, the only other city I'd move to would be Berlin, maybe Cologne.

ALSO LEUTE, eine Frage an euch: If you've lived or live in Berlin or Cologne, what's it like?
Why is optometry not already recognized as a profession?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I lived in Berlin once. They gave me a wicked cool tattoo and a free train ride.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Quote by metal4eva_22
I lived in Berlin once. They gave me a wicked cool tattoo and a free train ride.

That was Auswitch not Berlin.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Why is optometry not already recognized as a profession?

Cuz of Ophthalmologists. In Germany you have opticians, so if you need glasses you go them and they'll do a basic eye exam, get your prescription and you buy the glasses there and then.

It didn't used to be like that.

In the past you'd go to an Ophthalmologist (the same dude who could theoretically remove your cataracts) and he'd do an eye exam and check if you need glasses. He'd give you your prescription and you'd take it to get it dispensed.

Now Germany has a huge lack of Ophthalmologists because it's simply difficult to become one and there's a big demand. If you are worried that you might be going blind you'd have to make an appointment with an Ophthalmologist and wait up to 4 months. In 4 months you could have irreversible eye damage. Hell, you could even have a stroke in a few weeks if you notice vision has gone bad on one of your eyes.
Ophthalmologists themselves don't mind this, because due to the huge demand over supply, they are averaging out about 9K per month.

However, if you go to an Optometrist around the corner he can check you up and refer you to the hospital eye clinic right away if necessary and identify the pathology. This is of course very scary for Ophthalmologists because they lose money and they have therefore spent years and years fighting AGAINST optometry in court. However, in the eyes of the public, it is very detrimental that people are at risk of going blind because there aren't enough professionals to control this.

So voila, Optoms are hier.
Hm I learned something new.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Don't do it. It's a trap.
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
So, an optometrist is basically more of a doctor than an optician is?

Anyway, it depends on what you like. Berlin is a big, diverse city whereas Cologne is rather small and charming.
Berlin is also leading Europe in the number of fetish clubs. Easter in Berlin and Folsom Europe Berlin are the biggest gay fetish festivals in Europe
Sounds perfect for you
The only person I know who posts on here and lives in Germany is Corey.
Quote by Trowzaa
The only person I know who posts on here and lives in Germany is Corey.
Hes american it doesnt count
Quote by LostLegion
Why do you always ask to move to places?

I like to keep my options open.

Quote by The_Casinator
So, an optometrist is basically more of a doctor than an optician is?

Anyway, it depends on what you like. Berlin is a big, diverse city whereas Cologne is rather small and charming.

Aye.
I once sexually assaulted a horse in Berlin.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Aye your a traitoring basterd moving away from Bonnie Alba.

Anyway The Skinny had a great article on moving to Berlin. Google it
Berlin is pretty damn awesome to live in. Big, full of culture, people are pretty friendly, weed dealers errywhere.

I've only been to Cologne once, and from what I've seen it's more expensive, but there's more money to be made there as well. The entire Ruhrgebiet has the highest population density of Germany, and there are LOTS of jobs of all kinds there, so it seems to me it'd be a pretty awesome place to work.

Berlin is kinda isolated, in that for hundreds of kilometers around it there is absolutely nothing, but in the city itself there's a lot going on.

For me, I'd say Berlin would be my preferred place to live (since I already lived and worked there), but if I couldn't find work or found a better job in Cologne, I'd definitely pick Cologne.
Quote by CoreysMonster
weed dealers errywhere.

And prostitutes.
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Berlin is pretty damn awesome to live in. Big, full of culture, people are pretty friendly, weed dealers errywhere.

I've only been to Cologne once, and from what I've seen it's more expensive, but there's more money to be made there as well. The entire Ruhrgebiet has the highest population density of Germany, and there are LOTS of jobs of all kinds there, so it seems to me it'd be a pretty awesome place to work.

Berlin is kinda isolated, in that for hundreds of kilometers around it there is absolutely nothing, but in the city itself there's a lot going on.

For me, I'd say Berlin would be my preferred place to live (since I already lived and worked there), but if I couldn't find work or found a better job in Cologne, I'd definitely pick Cologne.

Cheers Corey, that's the kind of opinion I wanted to read.

Thing is though, there seems to be quite a property bubble forming in Berlin. :/
You must take Manhattan first.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore