If they don't could I just use a 1/4 to 1/8 plug? Would that sound fine? What if the amp only has one input? Could I combine it without messing with my guitar signal?
Quote by zack7521
If they don't could I just use a 1/4 to 1/8 plug?

you could get a 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TS converter to do the job

Quote by zack7521
Would that sound fine?

prob not. guitar amps are not designed for full range signal reproduction. there is no real sub and no tweeters, so freq response will be horrendous.

you will hear something that sounds like music, and it might be loud enough for your purposes. i wouldn't expect anything more than that.

Quote by zack7521
What if the amp only has one input? Could I combine it without messing with my guitar signal?

this presents it's own problems. for example, if you are running your amp with distortion then the music will also be distorted, so that is another complication.

you could use a mixer or Y cable to mix the signals. but this is also not ideal.

if you don't care what kinda sound you get from running guitar and music through your amp, then you may like this setup.

if you want a pretty good sound then i'd recommend using a separate stereo or computer speakers (or something) to separately amplify the music.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 25, 2013,
What are you trying to do? I'd say that most practice amps and SS amps in general have an aux in. Tube amps in general don't seem to have aux ins, besides some of the more specialized and high end tube amps.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'm using a practice amp with an aux in, but I'm getting a tube amp and am not sure if it will. I'm need it to use a metronome for practicing, and playing along to a song or backing track on my iPod.

Could I add the backing track in between the amp and cab?

I guess I'll have to plug it into a separate stereo or something.
That will be a better option. Guitar speakers are not good for playing music through. The cheapo speakers in modeling amps are actually better because they usually have better range.
Quote by zack7521
I'm using a practice amp with an aux in, but I'm getting a tube amp and am not sure if it will. I'm need it to use a metronome for practicing, and playing along to a song or backing track on my iPod.

Could I add the backing track in between the amp and cab?

I guess I'll have to plug it into a separate stereo or something.

Cant you use the old amp to practice with the metronome/aux input and the tube amp for just playing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I was thinking of selling it, but yeah, I guess so. Thanks for the advice.
Quote by zack7521
I was thinking of selling it, but yeah, I guess so. Thanks for the advice.

What amp is it? Practice amps are generally a pain to sell and not worth much. Probably worth it to just keep it around for backup/practice/an amp to leave at a buddies place, etc.
I'd definitely hang on to it. It'll be useful in the future.
Quote by gumbilicious

prob not. guitar amps are designed for full range signal reproduction. there is no real sub and no tweeters, so freq response will be horrendous.

What makes you say that?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
What makes you say that?

I'd bet a million bucks he meant aren't designed for full range production.
few quick thoughts.

if you have a smartphone, there are free apps for metronomes. so your phone could do it. they are convenient.

i have studio monitors i plug my ipod into for when i practice with backing tracks/etc. they can get pretty loud enough. certainly louder than you need to be practicing at (IMO) only downfall is i don't have anywhere to charge it where it is at.

also there are handheld tuners that have simple metronomes. i be you can find a korg one for $20. may sound stupid, but you can never have too many tuners around. i probably have a dozen, i bought like 10 when they were blowing out the musiciansfriend line of tuners for $2.

use old amp. the modeling amps are better suited for full range music than a typical guitar speaker. most of the speakers are significantly closer to full range than a typical guitar speaker.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I just play along with the hifi.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Reincaster
What makes you say that?

a bunch of stuff, but mainly because guitar amps only come with a 8" to 15" drivers with no tweeters or crossovers or anything that stuff like HiFi systems use to provide full range output.

edit: er, i just saw that i meant to say "guitar amps are not designed for full range signal reproduction."
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by gumbilicious
a bunch of stuff, but mainly because guitar amps only come with a 8" to 15" drivers with no tweeters or crossovers or anything that stuff like HiFi systems use to provide full range output.

He was asking why you thought they were designed for full range, which is what you said, which was probably a typo.
Quote by Cathbard
I just play along with the hifi.

Bingo!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by gumbilicious

edit: er, i just saw that i meant to say "guitar amps are not designed for full range signal reproduction."

I knew you were smarter than that,
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra