What would be a fair price for a 2002 ebony Epi Elite; I rate it a 8 out of 10, and rate the OEM case 7 out of 10. No case candy. Some tarnish on pickup covers. No scratches or rash, a few tiny dings but barely noticable. All stock, never set up or serviced by a pro.

On the plus side it is in good cosmetic shape and apparently stock. On the negative side, it is ebony so not flashy, and has no extras - just guitar and case. Not even the case keys.

Opinions appreciated. Thanks.
If you can get it for $500ish I would, any more and you can get a Gibson. The elite/elitist is a good guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Ippon
If it's the MIJ Elite series for the local Japanese market, with the open book headstock like below, the price has improved due to the strong Yen.

I paid ~$450 5 years ago.

Those are nice, but the elitist have a horrible headstock shape
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i am not disputing whether it is a nice guitar or not, they are.

but i don't see it going above a gibson. you can buy the painted original Les Paul Studios (non faded, non junior, non tribute) for $600 with a case in nice shape.

while some of you think that it may be worth more, its just what the buyer knows. and the odds are that the buyer would click on a '$600 Gibson Les Paul Studio' than a listing entitled '$600 Epiphone Les Paul Studio' they probably don't know a damn thing about them and probably think its silly that an epi is that expensive. just because they don't know.

i don't think CL is the best place to sell it. but shipping is expensive as hell for ebay (plus fees and paypal fees) or over forums (potential paypal fee there too).

good luck :cheersL
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Indeed it is the Tombstone style of headstock identical to the one on the left in the picture, right down to the truss rod cover. I see them going on eBay in the $700-$800 range but I also see a few sitting there with no bidders. My research tells me that are closer to a LP Standard than a LP Studio, in overall quality. By that I mean they have quality fit and finish (but poly instead of nitro), with US electronics and wiring.

Yes I know some would prefer a Gibson, even the low end Gibson, over an Epi. But it seems the discontinued Japan made Epi has a very solid reputation among informed buyers. Which means a smaller market for sure. My biggest concern is lack of all the extras that make it a complete package. Those are important to a collector or an "informed buyer". Less so to someone who is more interested in the logo on the headstock.

To be on the safe side I am thinking $550 if I am buying it, $750 if I am selling it, plus any shipping and fees added to those prices. Does that seem resonable?
750 plus shipping might be ambitious. These guitars were in vogue five years ago when Gibson thought anyone with less than 1500 to drop on a guitar was a dirty peasant. Now there's a lot more competition in that price range. There's an Ebony Elitist on ebay right now, I'd watch that auction closely. I'd list at 750 or 800 and take anything over 700 shipped. I thought the flametop Elitists were the more popular models, you might not get as much interest on an ebony one.

Incidentally I think the price of the Elitists is the one that's inflated based on reputation, as opposed to the Gibson Studio or Tribute models etc. The Elitists were decent guitars but I think all the internet hype circa 2007 is making people think that these are some hidden gem when that stopped being true a while ago.