Page 1 of 2
Led Zep fan
770 IQ
Hey everyone! tell us what your favourite guitar or bass solo is (or drum solo -moby dick ) I think free bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd is epic, and sounds just as epic live, I should check it out on you tube ..... I also Like stairway to heaven solo, and stuff like that,
guitarist5477
1,000 IQ
Both solos in Cowboy Song by Thin Lizzy
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
MetalFriend
That Dude Over There
439 IQ
The Wall - Pink Floyd. Always preferred it way more than the solo in Comfortably Numb which many more people seem to be in love with.
It's not so much that the Schecter's neck is ''fat'', it's that the Ibanez neck is anorexic.

Quote by rid_the_disease
Stare at me while I suck on your face
ErnestoFidel
395 IQ
Marooned - simply kind of defines Gilmour for me. No technical bullshit, no sweep picking, no tapping, no shredding. Just a wonderful, tasty tone combined with the magic that comes out of Davids fingertips.
This is not a signature
Dynamight
2,766 IQ
I know plenty of amazing guitar solos, mainstream or underground, but I've never heard anything quite like EVH's Beat It solo.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
LightxGrenade
1,140 IQ
My favorite classic rock solo is the solo from Heartbreaker by Led Zep. Not because it's an amazing solo (good not great) or anything but because when I was 12 years old and I first heard it, I literally barged into my parents room BEGGING them to buy me a guitar and I replayed the song for them saying "I wanna do that!" as the solo played. That song and solo is literally the deciding factor for why I started playing guitar in the first place.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Mar 25, 2013,
jhymadesh
230 IQ
Nuno Bettencourts solo in Get the funk out. Its not only the amazing guitarwork but also the way the structure of the song changes due the other instruments. When the solo kicks in the drums and bass lay their accents on the first and third beat in stead of the standart two - four thing. There is no crescuendo it kicks right in your face with the changing accents and Nuno's powerfull double bends. The solo itself has some wonderfull, shredding, tapping, bending and more. It has everything a guitarsolo should have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqP76XWHQI0
Firehawk2410
508 IQ
Shock Me live extended solo by Ace Frehley. The Alive II version is insane, as well as most of the other live versions he played.
johnnycu
21 IQ
One of my favorite guitar solo is the 2 mins outro in Dear God ( A7X) . Pure awesomeness.
Peaceful Rocker
Banned
1,518 IQ
Quote by romencer17
really? free bird?

listen to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5I8k5WQlfI

Not to hate on Zappa, Freebird was a perfectly good answer. Some random Frank Zappa song nobody knows about isn't.

If you really think that's the greatest guitar solo ever, that's cool. Just don't expect anyone to agree with you. Songs have to be remotely popular when you're naming them for a nomination like this. Pretty sure any decent list of best guitar solos ever will have freebird in it. Pretty sure no list has this song, so lol @ your suggestion.

EDIT; I just read the thread title and apologize. It says your favorite, not "best" or whatever. My bad dude!
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Mar 27, 2013,
SKAKSD
25 IQ
Freebird. I used to listen to the live version on loop. Loved it.
If i had to pick a second though, I may need to say "One" by Metallica has a pretty epic solo. I like the solo from one cuz it's easy to follow, and the fast pace tapping is interesting. I'm currently learning it myself.

Freebird's solo includes 3 guitars. Need I say more?
Last edited by SKAKSD at Apr 15, 2013,
fretfreak15
10 IQ
I personaly think that comfortably numb has the best solo in rock history!

that kind of emotion is very hard to put in
a solo

free bird id also great but comf. numb is awsome!
Adam808
I Wanna Be Sedated
111 IQ
For me it's a tie between Hotel California by the Eagles and Heartbreaker by Led Zeppelin.
Play Loud! Play Fast! Play Raw!
JohnRick
10 IQ
Easily the one in "Since I've been loving you" by Led Zep.
Drums Come True - Online Drum tracking Service
Gantz92
108 IQ
Maggot brain-Funkadelic.
The last days of may (live version)-Blue oyster cult.
Stand inside your love-The smashing pumpkins.
Sandman3769
111 IQ
Comfortably Numb. I could listen to it over and over and never get tired of it.

Also, I know a lot of people on here think Slash is overrated, and maybe he is, but November Rain has a great solo.
Last edited by Sandman3769 at Apr 9, 2013,
Scythe5
41 IQ
Lights Out, on the UFO live album Strangers in the Night. Micheal Schenker was simply awesome on that song.
Andrew Tintle
16 IQ
This is a tough one. It's hard to pick just one, but I have to say that "Mr.Scary" by Dokken is pretty epic. Guitarist: George Lynch
HotDan!
333 IQ
For all of you that said it's tough...it is tough. While hard to say it's my favorite I've always had a great appreciation for the Jimmy Page solo on Stairway to Heaven but I can easily say the same for the Joe Walsh/Don Felder harmony solo from Hotel California. Boy, and there are others among my favorites as well.
Kaela1214
107 IQ
the solo by Mick ROnson in Moonage Daydream.

(David Bowie's Guitarist in teh early 70s)
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,517 IQ
Quote by Kaela1214
the solo by Mick ROnson in Moonage Daydream.

(David Bowie's Guitarist in teh early 70s)

awesome, I met him
bigblockelectra
572 IQ
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Not to hate on Zappa, Freebird was a perfectly good answer. Some random Frank Zappa song nobody knows about isn't.

If you like Zappa, Watermelon in Easter Hay is probably my favorite from him (album version--some of the live versions are a bit different).

Too many to list really, just to name a few that popped in:

Big Log - Robert Plant, stratocaster intro by Robbie Blunt
Comfortably Numb of course
You and Your Friend - Dire Straits, whole song is pretty much a guitar solo
Sun Goes Down - Thin Lizzy (Either John Sykes or Scott Gorham plays it)
Fates Warning - Iron Maiden intro solo (Not sure which one plays it..Murray? Very legato and smooth)
Whitesnake - Is This Love (John Sykes I believe is playing with the big wide vibrato)
For the Love of God - Steve Vai, just the melodic parts, not so much the sound effect, whammy bar crazyness.
HotDan!
333 IQ
Led Zep fan, 6-String Madman and others mentioned "Freebird" which is high on my list of favorites as well but it was never done live the way it was recorded on the Skynyrd album. The studio version was actually done with three different guitars. Allen Collins did the lead part on a Gibson Explorer while Gary Rossington played rhythm on his Les Paul then filled the slide part on his SG. Radio play was usually some butchered up cut version since it was so long. Too bad they didn't realize they were playing what some would come to call one of the greatest guitar solos in the history of rock!
Last edited by HotDan! at May 5, 2013,