Page 2 of 3
Quote by necrosis1193
Swords should be standard issue to police instead of guns.

Can you imagine how terrified most common criminals would be to see a 5'10" cop charging them with a 4' broadsword?

They'd probably laugh and pull the trigger on their guns. You don't bring a knife (or a sword) to a gunfight.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
They'd probably laugh and pull the trigger on their guns. You don't bring a knife (or a sword) to a gunfight.

Armed forces carry knives.

Not for use as a main offence, but still.
ayy lmao
Quote by chookiecookie
Armed forces carry knives.

Not for use as a main offence, but still.

Those knives are for close combat. As in, close enough to punch a bitch. After all, why not use a knife to punch a hole in said bitch?
Quote by Hydra150
Yes, but we can't swing them around in public.

Well that just takes the fun out of it.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

I think it's proven that within 10 feet knifes are more deadly than guns. The guy with the knife can close before they get a chance to aim the gun if they don't hesitate. I forgot where I heard this, so don't take it as reliable information.
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Those knives are for close combat. As in, close enough to punch a bitch. After all, why not use a knife to punch a hole in said bitch?

That's some strong reasoning. Punching holes in bitches with knives seems quite compelling.

Quote by StreetLight3989
I think it's proven that within 10 feet knifes are faster than guns. The guy with the knife can close before they get a chance to aim the gun if they don't hesitate. I forgot where I heard this, so don't take it as reliable information.

It's actually 21 feet, I believe.

Knives also invoke more fear than a gun would.
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by Skynyrd890
Well that just takes the fun out of it.

Precisely
Damn pencil pushers
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
^Exactly

If you own a sword that isn't like a family heirloom or something, you're a massive dork.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StreetLight3989
I think it's proven that within 10 feet knifes are more deadly than guns. The guy with the knife can close before they get a chance to aim the gun if they don't hesitate. I forgot where I heard this, so don't take it as reliable information.

Me and a friend actually tried that... Around 28 or 29 feet was where one of us could draw and fire, before the other person with the knife could stab. Also saw a video during a concealed carry class where 21 feet was the distance for them.

Quote by Hydra150
Precisely
Damn pencil pushers

You guys need a sword flash mob. Make the public see that "hey, swords aren't so bad afterall!"
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by StreetLight3989

I can confirm this. I've played Metal Gear Solid 3.
Last edited by Shawn1379 at Apr 12, 2014,
Quote by StewieSwan

If you own a sword that isn't like a family heirloom or something, you're a massive dork.

I was going to say 'how do families acquire heirlooms in the first place, then?', but then I saw the post above yours. I don't want to be seen as an apologist for that kind of behaviour.
Quote by Shawn1379

I can confirm this. I've played Metal Gear Solid 3.

Have you played rising?
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by Hydra150
Have you played rising?

I have. Beat it about 3 days ago. I thought it was pretty fun, despite not keeping up with everything since I hadn't played not one metal gear before this one.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by StewieSwan
^Exactly

Oh, you mean as much of a dork as the guy who owns weird musical instruments?

I'd just like to collect swords, I like them.
It was pretty fun.
Doesn't really compare with Metal Gear Solid games though, you should try those out. The second is my favourite, but you might as well play them in order.
Quote by VillainousLatin
Oh, you mean as much of a dork as the guy who owns weird musical instruments?

I'd just like to collect swords, I like them.

Yeah, lemme highlight the main difference, dork. You can actually use musical instruments for more than awkward profile pictures on furaffinity.
Quote by Hydra150

Have you played rising?

No because I literally have no money whatsoever.

I've heard good things though, but the earliest I'll be able to get it will probably be about 2 months from now. Hopefully it'll at least drop in price before then.
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah, lemme highlight the main difference, dork. You can actually use musical instruments for more than awkward profile pictures on furaffinity.

You don't use your instruments for anything more than personal satisfaction. Just like I would get from collecting swords.
The only kind of sword I would want to own as a display piece would be an antique one, from a time when swords were actually a relevant part of life. I would feel an unfathomable amount of shame if I decorated my wall with some kitschy piece of overpriced crap made by some goddamn nerd with a blacksmithing degree or whatever.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
I've always had a thing for Japanese swords and old Claymores.

Cold Steel makes awesome swords and I would buy one in a second if they weren't so damn expensive.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by StreetLight3989

That's an old FBI statistic. An average human male can close 21 feet (about 7 yards) distance in 2.5 seconds. By the time I just typed that, he'd be on you and you'd be dead.

Knives are devastating at close range. Anyone who thinks otherwise should do some study on knife wounds (specifically slashes) - a good slash from a sharp knife can open up like 3 inches wide and be as long as the the travel of the blade. It's nasty stuff.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
a good slash from a sharp knife can open up like 3 inches ...

I think you mean bad.
Quote by chookiecookie
That's some strong reasoning. Punching holes in bitches with knives seems quite compelling.

Meh, it's 1AM. Don't expect much logic right now.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Meh, it's 1AM. Don't expect much logic right now.

Oh, I was serious. That's some damn good logic.
ayy lmao
I think swords are pretty cool. Like having them hanging on the wall as a decoration. Also if you have em hanging around you could use them as a weapon in case your house gets broken into. It actually happened close to where I live. There was like a house invasion then someone grabbed a decorative sword to protect themselves and the thieves ran off and were later caught.

I also like knives, my boyfriend gave me this cool little fold up knife that looks like a mini butcher knife when I open it. I also have a Desert Storm knife in my room somewhere but I can't find it. Oh and I gave my sister this cool saw like looking knife.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by VillainousLatin
You don't use your instruments for anything more than personal satisfaction. Just like I would get from collecting swords.

Actually I use them in recordings and I play them in jam sessions with friends and I use them for guest lectures in the world music and music appreciation classes at my college. How are those swords working out for you?
They were actually quite useless for combat from about 800AD onwards until the end of plate armour around the 1700s

EDIT:
What you really want is one of these

Or if possible something similar to:
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Last edited by jambi_mantra at Mar 25, 2013,
I would love to get an antique Scottish Claymore, as I am Scottish myself. I used to love Samurai swords until I found out how goddamned weak they were (useless against plate armour, and samurai would take about 6 with them into battle, because they were so sharp they'd just break).

Swords are pretty badass though.
Quote by boreamor
I would love to get an antique Scottish Claymore, as I am Scottish myself.

traitor
Quote by Hydra150

traitor

Can't really help it when you're in primary school and your parents leave. Either way I'm in Uni.
You were born in Scotland, couldn't you have gone to uni for free up here?
Im actualy quite interested in swords, being an ex-blacksmith and also a history nerd it's the way that different types of swords throughout history have been made that interests me.

For example, the way that the Japanese katana or "samurai sword" is made using a traditional folding process that results in several layered steels with different carbon concentrations is fascinating, and I also find the wavy pattern on the blade that this technique results to be aestheticaly pleasing.

But what I also find fascinating is that, apparently purely by chance, the Saxons developed a very similar complex method of making swords to the Japanese, only they added twists to the folds in the metal, which create a much more complex pattern on the blade.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
*stuff*

On top of that, Viking-era inhabitants of northern Europe developed some really complex methods of making blades, very similar (if not the same) as the Saxons.

This was found just outside Uppsala, and is believed to be from about 900 AD.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Im actualy quite interested in swords, being an ex-blacksmith and also a history nerd it's the way that different types of swords throughout history have been made that interests me.

For example, the way that the Japanese katana or "samurai sword" is made using a traditional folding process that results in several layered steels with different carbon concentrations is fascinating, and I also find the wavy pattern on the blade that this technique results to be aestheticaly pleasing.

But what I also find fascinating is that, apparently purely by chance, the Saxons developed a very similar complex method of making swords to the Japanese, only they added twists to the folds in the metal, which create a much more complex pattern on the blade.

Didn't do 'em much good when Christopher Lee came riding into town. I heard he killed like 4000 of the poor bastards.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick