Sup UG,

Current amps:
Mesa Boogie 3 Channel Dual Rectifier
VOX ac15c1 w/mods

Current cabs:
Mesa oversized 4x12 slant w/v30s
Marshall 1960b 4x12 str8 w/v30s and g12t-75s in X

I'm in the midst of having a convertable 1x12 extension cab (open/close backed) made for my ac15c1. My speaker locker consists of:

1x alnico blue
1x greenback
6x v30s (OEM quad in Mesa)
2x g12t-75s
2x g12-65s

All manufactured UK.

I am working on my current album and was thinking about adding an additional amp to the repertoire for more flavors. Was thinking Orange Rockerverb 50/Thunderverb 50/OR50/HnK Tubemeister 36/varieties of Marshals, etc. Musical tastes consist of Coheed and Cambria, Circa Survive, Mastodon, Foo Fighters, Hoobastank, Billy Talent, STP, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction and Tool. Want something that is going to compliment my existing options and help me dig out the tones I know and love. I'm really into progressive/alternative/experimental rock and just need something to help round out my tonal options.

Budget is $1500-2000. I have all the usual suspects in my mic locker for micing cabs (57s, MD421, e906) other than a good ribbon. NOS Accutronics reverb tank, JJs el84s, Gold Lion 12ax7 preamp tubes for my ac15c1. EH el34s and Mesa stock 6l6s and 12ax7s for the rectifier. I'm happy with my current interface, preamp options and OB compressor (PF 2626, ISA428mkii, ART DMPAii w/matched NOS Telefunkens and ART PRO VLAii w/ matched NOS Mullards).

If anyone out there has the experience to point me in the right direction I would be much obliged. Was leaning largely towards the Thunderverb. My VOX can get me a whole lot in the clean department while my recto covers any face-melting gain I deem necessary. An Orange amp (TV50/RV50/OR50) might provide the middle ground and tonal shaping my other two amps fail to cover. Any thoughts?

-TDL
You clearly need a Cornford, especially since once they are gone they are gone and the value will skyrocket in the next few years. If you can get hold of a Cornford then you should buy one, it will fill the void inbetween your current amps beautifully.

A Roadhouse or Hellcat probably.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I'd think something Marshall-ish.

Splawn is a good rec. Something along the superlead/superbass path.

P.S. Tool <3
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Dear god man it's like you have a never ending budget.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
If you want an amp that will give you something very different, I would say get an Evans RE500. I recently got one from them as part of payment since I do web work for them. The clean sound of that amplifier is seriously unlike anyother. Its absolutely incredible. Its mainly a jazz amp which makes it great for recording uber clean stuff.

I am actually saving up for a kemper amp, to use with my evans for gigs.
Last edited by nyandres at Mar 25, 2013,
Splawn Quickrod or Nitro-Will give you mid gain and a different flavor of high gain.
Orange Rockerverb 50-A mixture of crunchy tones and clean sounds.
Orange OR100-Maybe a bit less modern than the Rockerverb, and different power/wattage selection.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Bah. This is BS. We (myself included) need to quit recommending this amp. That way I can still feel part of the few that are hip to its pwnness! :P
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
Thanks for all the amazing replies! Went with a Road King II today. Picked it up for a sliver over $2k. Damn near minty fresh. I looked into the Budda line, Marshall jvm410h, H'n'K and didn't see all the features that grabbed me. Budda seemed closer in nature to my VOX. The Marshall definitely has its own character but the cleans were too glassy for me. Yeah it kicks ass at producing countless rock/blues tones from the 60s to the present but those tones don't reach out and "grab" me like more modern day tones. Coupled with my modded ac15c1, I figure the RKII, w/it's Lone Star style cleans and channel 1 and 2's tweed/british modes, along with the brutality of channels 3 and 4, will help me cover a lot of ground. The ability to select tube configuration per channel is just sick. Having programmable reverb per channel doesn't hurt either. I'm super stoked. So it seems I'll be slinging off my two rectos and moving on down the road...

-TDL
Niiiiice! Congrats. I wouldn't have recommended any of the rectifiers since you already had one but if you love it, you love it.

Guitars

Amps
Haha, I didn't recommend a rectifier for the reason that he has one. Congratulations on the purchase though. Those are nice.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Not sure I would have gone with a road king if I already had a dual rectifier. Would have gone with a mark v for mesa. Or something marshally like a splawn. Then again, it's not like you could ever go wrong with a RK Enjoy!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Well, after some research I figured I would just "upgrade" my rectifiers. I've got two so I can now sling them both off since I'll replace them with the RKII. That leaves me room for a 3rd amp still if necessary. I'll see what the RKII can do first and see if I feel deficient in any way. The tonal variation this head provides seems like it could keep me busy for awhile. Good times!

-TDL