NEED ADVICE ON WHAT PARTS TO UPGRADE MY EPIPHONE LP SPECIAL II:

Budget? I'm not trying to pay top dollar for everything, but in certain areas I will if recommended. (if it is needed and worth it)

Genres? - Classic/Hard Rock, Power Metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Anthrax, etc), Grunge. I like the twin guitar style of Maiden, along with their creativity when it comes to harmony. They still have the cutting edge though that considers them metal which is what I love about them the most. Led Zeppelin, pure riffing and rocking, and belting out vocals. I like grunge too

New or Used? - New (on musiciansfriend)

Home or Gig? - Home for a while.. riding solo for now. on a Fender Mustang 1 V.2 Amp

Closest City? - not needed, online shopping all items

Current Gear? - Epiphone Les Paul Special II (Black): havent purchased the mustang amp yet but i am soon.

SUMMARY: wanted to buy all the stuff together. i bought this used, it never stays in tune and needs to sustain notes longer. i dont want to invest in 100 pickups ea (EMGs for example) on this guitar. this is going to be my #2 guitar. i dont know if it needs new bridge either but give me some advice, any new part on the entire guitar would be a good reccomendation as long as you provide a good reason

TYVM! - Zach
Last edited by zach.vidal.98 at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by zach.vidal.98

I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (Ebony) off of somebody for $70 about a month ago. I used to own a Epiphone Vintage SG G400 with a hard shell case. I bought it in July 2011 and I loved it the moment I opened it up. A few months before that, I had a few books of tabs (each book was a full album) downloaded onto my laptop. I was starting to notice intervals and patterns and I went and bought a mediocre acoustic of a friend for $20. I started playing on that and then bought the SG. When i got the SG (bought with Fender Mustang 1), I started playing almost every day, and a few months later I was playing every single day. I was at my highest point around that time, learning something new all the time. I wasn't really good because I can't solo like a champ yet but I can get a little creative with it, but I need to memorize the scales fully.) I was going into 11th grade following that summer. I sold the guitar amp out of desperate impulse in October 2011. This led me to not playing as much. I had that guitar up until the beginning of the next summer (Summer of 2012), selling it to a friend for more than the original price. I regret selling it because that's when I stopped playing. I spent the money in a stupid way too. I finally managed to get some money up and convince him to sell me it back later in 2012 (late October.) I was playing it for about a week, and then it got stolen out of a "friend's house." Here I am in 2013, picking it all up again.

I want to upgrade this Les Paul for sure. Mainly, my music influences classic rock, hard rock, blues rock, thrash metal, new wave of british heavy metal, heavy metal that followed up on the new wave british metal scene in the 80s (the big 4: metallica, megadeth, anthrax, slayerand grunge. My top 5 list of bands include Iron Maiden, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, and Black Sabbath. I love Maiden the most. They are the perfect description of what I like in music. What I'm looking for is a guitar that will produce that similar sound but not exactly that. You know, the solos sound like their singing, it's different than solos in todays metal. Thats the point Im trying to get at. I like older metal for it's understandable lyrics with a voice that gives you an image in your head of a dark deep place of inspiration (sounds weird but does somebody feel me there?). I have a hazy image in my head of what I want my sound and style to be like, but shaping and perfecting it is along the roads of getting there. I just want this Epiphone Les Paul to be upgraded somewhat (not too much, because I do plan on buying a good guitar.) I personally think it needs new machine heads (tuners), maybe a new bridge, definitely new strings, and possibly pickups. I know pickups are where the sound comes from but if the pickups on this aren't really that terrible and would work good with a Fender Mustang 1 V.2, I can wait until I get a new guitar next school year sometime, possibly XMAS, and maybe knew knobs just for cosmetic and looks. I'm just trying to get the most out of it without spending top price nor bottom price. I do plan on keeping this, but as a second guitar just to have. If anybody could help me out with full customization opinions, that would be awesome! I'm familiar with how pickups work, but I'm not familiar with which sound is in which set of pickups. I'm not familiar with any of the other physical aspects of the guitar either, which is something I need to learn. I would appreciate it more than anything if I got some honest opinions from experience or just pure guitar knowledge from all of you! Thank you

Well I'm pretty sure that dave murray uses stacked humbuckers in a guitar routed for single coils. What I'm about to tell you will save you alot of time though. MOST of your tone comes from your amp, after that comes the pickups, then all of that other crap like tonewoods and whatnot. I've been on a hunt for a maiden-tone for a while too. Personally I bought a JCM900 high-gain master volume MKIII, but there's other options too. The genre you describe is power metal friend, I'm glad to see someone with similar tastes.

As far as upgrading the guitar goes, what do you want to improve about it specifically? Tuning stability? Playability? Appearance?

Also, I think you'll notice the most tone difference out of a different amp, start a thread with the following info for best results, preferably in this form, most of us are too lazy to read paragraphs.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Mar 25, 2013,
You'll get more/better responses if you shorten your OP, or at least give a quick summary at the end.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
sorry about the long paragraphs, i edited it. im new to these forums, but not the website. maiden is awesome too, i think their music and their story is so inspiring. they went through tons of band changes to live up to expectations and their fan base is huge!! up the irons \m/(><\m/
I think you are heading in the wrong direction here. All the things you are hoping will happen at the end will not be achieved simply by switching some parts on your guitar. A change in pickups will do the most damage but you won't even notice it much if you are plugged into a (soon to be acquired) amp.

Get the amp first, play, see what you like and don't like. I don't see the point in changing the bridge and things like tuners and pickups and whatever else when the real sound is coming out of the amp.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Just dont bother.

Save up and buy a better amp and guitar in the long run.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ +1

i guess you could always send it to those guys who'll take the maple top off and reglue it using the proper hide glue. that's definitely* a sensible upgrade.

* obviously that's a joke.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?