I heard about this interface recommended over the Focusrite Scarlet 2i4.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-Audiobox-22VSL-USB-2-0-Recording-System-107058380-i2092431.gc

I'm curious if any of you think it will be the same quality or better than the Focusrite. The one thing I remember some of you saying to get the Focusrite is because of a "pad" feauture to lower the input gain (or volume?) to record loud sounds and high gain stuff.

What do you all think?

This is the Focusrite.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i4-USB-Audio-Interface-108264573-i2658350.gc#customer-reviews
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Last edited by BlueAltitudes at Mar 28, 2013,
Who the **** recommended the Presonus Audiobox over the 2i4? They're terrible! Though the VSL series is better than the past Audioboxes, its still lacking a Pad switch. If you plan on doing DI Guitars or DI Bass, you're going to run into issues. Also, the 2i4 is going to have much better preamps.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Who the **** recommended the Presonus Audiobox over the 2i4? They're terrible! Though the VSL series is better than the past Audioboxes, its still lacking a Pad switch. If you plan on doing DI Guitars or DI Bass, you're going to run into issues. Also, the 2i4 is going to have much better preamps.

I will be doing distorted tones as well as clean so I guess the Focusrite it is! I had another recommendation by a friend today as well so I'll be going to get that this week.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
I have the Presonus VSL44 and have yet to have any problems with it, and I use DI guitars and Bass all the time, so you won't run into issues there. I was considering the focusrite, but the Presonus was available locally, as well I like the 4 inputs over the two, and I don't think Focusrite had anything between 2 and 8 inputs.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Quote by BeeScreamer
I have the Presonus VSL44 and have yet to have any problems with it, and I use DI guitars and Bass all the time, so you won't run into issues there. I was considering the focusrite, but the Presonus was available locally, as well I like the 4 inputs over the two, and I don't think Focusrite had anything between 2 and 8 inputs.

Hmm, well I have a friend that uses both Presonus and Focusrite so I'm going to compare your Presonus model with the Focusrite 2i4 and see what he says. Really the only thing I'm looking for is about 2-4 inputs, a way to record sound clean/distorted, and above average quality.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Quote by BeeScreamer
I have the Presonus VSL44 and have yet to have any problems with it

Thing is, not having problems with it is not the same as it being as good as the 2i4...

The A/D conversion in the 2i4 is the same stuff they have in their $2000 models.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Thing is, not having problems with it is not the same as it being as good as the 2i4...

The A/D conversion in the 2i4 is the same stuff they have in their $2000 models.

Your totally right, not having problems is not the same thing as "being as good as..." which is why I never said that, check my post again. I never said Presonus was better or worse. And as to not having any problems with it, that was in response to Lockwolf saying there could be problems with it while doing DI guitars and bass, which I never had.

And the Presonus preamps in the VSL series are the same as their $2000 dollar studiolive mixers, so both have high end parts in them.

Like the last part of my other post, you really can't go wrong with either of them. If you were worried about the quality being the best you can get, you wouldn't be looking at low end interfaces.
Quote by BeeScreamer

The Scarlett2i4 has 4 inputs, although only 2 of said inputs are XLR. They make other Scarlett models that have as many as 16 inputs.

Also, the fact that you're holding up an inferior product simply because you own it and have had no issues...well, that's just silly.

Quote by BlueAltitudes
Hmm, well I have a friend that uses both Presonus and Focusrite so I'm going to compare your Presonus model with the Focusrite 2i4 and see what he says. Really the only thing I'm looking for is about 2-4 inputs, a way to record sound clean/distorted, and above average quality.

Then buy a Scarlett. You can get one with 4 XLR inputs (which allows you to plug in either a guitar cable or a mic), if you wish.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The Scarlett2i4 has 4 inputs, although only 2 of said inputs are XLR. They make other Scarlett models that have as many as 16 inputs.

By 4 inputs I meant 4 XLR, that ones on me. But the Scarlett2i4 is only 2 in but 4 out.

Also, the fact that you're holding up an inferior product simply because you own it and have had no issues...well, that's just silly.

Your calling it inferior because you have owned both, or because you read somewhere on the internet that it was inferior, which must make it true?

Have you ever heard of Ola Englund? Look him up on youtube, he has an awesome soung recorded through the 1818 VSL. Here is a link on how to mic a Guitar amp, and at the end you can hear the full mix, and it does not sound "inferior" to me Miking a Guitar Amp for Metal - The Ola way

Then buy a Scarlett. You can get one with 4 XLR inputs (which allows you to plug in either a guitar cable or a mic), if you wish.

The scarlett line does not have any interfaces with 4 inputs, again which is why I went with the presonus. Otherwise I might have gone with a focusrite.
Interesting debate going on. Just to add to this thread one more time, have any of you had any experience with the Apogee Duet?

Edit:

I read more and researched various information regarding interfaces and the Duet/ Focusrite products, and it seems like Focusrite is the leading product right now. The only issues seem to be the purpose of me using them and how mobile I am. Inputs don't really matter much right now because I only have two mics and I would mostly be using the interface at home and occasionally elsewhere.

I just want to record ideas and possibly make some demos songs in the future and have them be good quality. Maybe have an occasional jam with somebody or something as well. I have to say it would be nice to have a mobile interface like the Duet for times I do travel with it.

So, this thread has now become more about Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and the Apogee Duet. What do you guys think?
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Last edited by BlueAltitudes at Mar 28, 2013,
Quote by BeeScreamer
By 4 inputs I meant 4 XLR, that ones on me. But the Scarlett2i4 is only 2 in but 4 out.

You are correct. However, the preamps are better quality.

Your calling it inferior because you have owned both, or because you read somewhere on the internet that it was inferior, which must make it true?

Have you ever heard of Ola Englund? Look him up on youtube, he has an awesome soung recorded through the 1818 VSL. Here is a link on how to mic a Guitar amp, and at the end you can hear the full mix, and it does not sound "inferior" to me Miking a Guitar Amp for Metal - The Ola way

And this is what we like to call "an appeal to authority". Just because Ola did it, it doesn't mean a thing.

The scarlett line does not have any interfaces with 4 inputs, again which is why I went with the presonus. Otherwise I might have gone with a focusrite.

Ok, I did some checking, and you are correct. However, it honestly shouldn't matter. The preamps in it are better quality anyway.

I'm honestly wondering, in what situation would you need an audio interface with 4 inputs, where you wouldn't spend $260 on something like this? I mean, for $260, 16 live inputs.
So, I know I posted earlier in this thread that I was going to get the Focusrite sometime this week but I had a change of plans. I'm most likely going to have a used Mesa Boogie Traditional 4x12 cab in my hands sometime this week instead. That's okay though because it gives me some time to think and research more on audio interfaces. And I have. This will be a future purchase maybe in a few months time or maybe sooner it just depends on some variables.

So, let's discuss the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and the Apogee Duet 2!
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Well the Apogee Duet 2 is great, it's better than the focusrite for sure, but it should be at that price.

But it is Mac only, just so you're aware.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Mar 28, 2013,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well the Apogee Duet 2 is great, it's better than the focusrite for sure.

But it is Mac only, just so you're aware.

Yeah, I have a Mac though! I guess I should have mentioned that earlier, my bad.

So, I guess if you had the choice you would go for the Apogee Duet 2? Do you think the Duet is worth buying over the Focusrite despite doubling in price?
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
In my opinion, probably not. I'm assuming you're just starting out considering this is a "What interface should I buy" thread. There are so many other things that would be worth investing the extra $200-$250 for the Duet into. Sure, there are going to be differences in sound but unless you've got a good set of monitors (not KRKs) and a well treated room, you probably won't hear the difference.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
In my opinion, probably not. I'm assuming you're just starting out considering this is a "What interface should I buy" thread. There are so many other things that would be worth investing the extra $200-$250 for the Duet into. Sure, there are going to be differences in sound but unless you've got a good set of monitors (not KRKs) and a well treated room, you probably won't hear the difference.

Well, I'm not a complete noob because I am a music major and I've been around DAWs, some interfaces and have used various resources and been to some studios like Sonic Ranch. But yeah, that's true I probably won't notice the differences because I don't have a sound treated room and I don't have a good set of monitors or a good set up in general yet. I kinda got ahead of myself there.

I suppose I'll be going for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 then. Thanks for the help and perspectives guys!
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Quote by lockwolf

For $250, he could buy one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044FU6T2/?me=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Because no one tells me what to replace it with. If you read the description of it, that one was pretty much chosen at random.

Quote by DisarmGoliath