I've recently devised a rather exotic guitar shape or two and made the bodies from wood, however the more I look at them the more I doubt the wooden version will hold up to any abuse do I was thinking of making a mold of the bodies, then getting some form of pourable 2 part acrylic/plastic that would be strong enough to hold up to the tension of being a guitar and maybe hold up to a less supportive shape. I suppose I could also add in some form of mesh netting or metal wire inside the mold to support the guitar shape if need be.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
According to wikipedia, what you need is Poly-methyl-methacrylate + MEKP as a polymerisation catalyst. **** knows where you get that stuff from. Plus you'd need to be able to heat it up to 105 °C.

To be honest, I'm not even sure it would be that much stronger. Oak wood appears to have a much higher Young's modulus than Acrylic, plus the difference in UTS between wood and Acrylic is not massive. I don't think it's really worth doing to be honest, unless you just want a see-through guitar?

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/young-modulus-d_417.html
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
http://www.crystalclearepoxy.com/shop/uv-poxy-clear-for-casting/
This looks like it just has the chemical hardener with it and it only has to set at 77F. Also you have to remember that what I have is oak ply, I don't really think it has a grain pattern. But I would assume that if I were to use this acrylic stuff with some steel mesh in it would hold up better but I'm not sure.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by Viban
http://www.crystalclearepoxy.com/shop/uv-poxy-clear-for-casting/
This looks like it just has the chemical hardener with it and it only has to set at 77F. Also you have to remember that what I have is oak ply, I don't really think it has a grain pattern. But I would assume that if I were to use this acrylic stuff with some steel mesh in it would hold up better but I'm not sure.

I really don't think the steel mesh would make a massive amount of difference, depending on how thick it is obviously. Plus you have to make a 2-part mould, make sure everything is properly drafted so you can get it out... I just don't think it's really going to offer that much of an advantage over just making it out of wood to be honest.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
I really don't think the steel mesh would make a massive amount of difference, depending on how thick it is obviously. Plus you have to make a 2-part mould, make sure everything is properly drafted so you can get it out... I just don't think it's really going to offer that much of an advantage over just making it out of wood to be honest.

Well I planned on doing a dental algenate mold, then I plan on cutting it off of the form with some form of knife then just seal up the cracks, but I plan on going through and figuring out the bracing, maybe some rebar through the weak areas just to give it a spine.
You should know by now, I like being difficult
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
They are strong enough for use in construction. Acrylic casting resin is a pourable
compound and hence is used for casting of parts and making molds.
Last edited by SolomonF at Mar 27, 2013,