I just picked up a really sweet AC30 but I would also like to have a nice tube practice amp I can pick up and carry without a big hassle. I have been really interested in the Fender Excelsior because of its 15" speaker and also I do dig the 6v6 sound. My wife has bugged me to get a bass guitar because she seems interested in learning. Can it do dual duty as a bass amp also? See where I am going with this? I was thinking of picking up a Squier Vintage Jazz Bass and one of these. might as well get the wife involved if she is willing and worse case scenario is I end up with a nice practice amp and a jazz bass. Anyone have this amp or play one extensively?
Well, playing a bass into a guitar amp may not be a great idea as guitar amps typically can't handle the low frequencies of a bass. However, it's totally fine to play a guitar through a bass amp, so maybe you could invest in some sort of bass amp, or as an alternative, a multifx pedal that has both bass and guitar amp simulation and run it through some speakers or headphones.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Last edited by EncoreBlade at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by radarlover
I have been really interested in the Fender Excelsior because of its 15" speaker and also I do dig the 6v6 sound. My wife has bugged me to get a bass guitar because she seems interested in learning. Can it do dual duty as a bass amp also?

Since it has a 15" speaker you should be able to get away with it. You probably won't get a lot of clean headroom for bass with 13 watts though.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
cool, thanks guys. I am running out of creative ways to get more gear but I guess if the speaker blows that gives me a good reason to upgrade that when it does go. I don't see my wife ever playing very loud anyway so I might just do it. thanks again for the replies!