I feel ready to pull the trigger on my next purchase, but I just can't figure out what to go for.

I think I'm sorted for a dual humbucker guitar, so am looking at a different configuration.

I have a tele which I've never really bonded with. Just too bright and spiky for me I guess. Likewise the jaguar I tried the other day. And likewise many other teles I've played. I don't really like strats. I'm not sold on any of the humbucker teles like the 72 custom - the wide range humbucker doesn't do it for me.

I don't generally like p90s - they seem to sound a bit bland and sterile usually, maybe because p90s don't generally feature in the music I listen to (basically jangly indie rocky stuff).

I've been interested in the Eastwood reissues of the Harmony Stratotone. Gold foil single coils that sound a bit crunchy and nasty. I like that it's a bit unusual, but then I think that I'm going for novelty value and it might not cover much ground.

Given that I seem to be rubbishing the majority of major guitar models - any suggestions?
Budget?

I'm gonna bite the bullet and say an Ibanez Fireman, they have noiseless sc's, and from what I've heard they're pretty sweet.
Ibanez TSA30 < Boss OS-2 < Custom Frankenstein Strat w/ scalloped board and Epi LP pickup
Budget would be useful information, true. I was thinking about paying up to £500 GBP (about $760 USD), so used would be better.
Reissue wide ranges are just humbuckers under covers, not even close to what the originals are. And if you're looking for jangly your average everyday bucker isn't gonna do it.
Teles aren't best known for humbucker sounds unless you go for the Telebration mahogany one. Or maybe the Mexican made Cabronita. That has some serious punch to it.

Reverend do a really cool selection of guitars and incredibly well made I recommend you check them. There are a couple of places you can get them in England.

Gibson SG Special or the SG JR are £500 pounds with decent humbuckers.

Or maybe look at the PRS SE range?
You might try looking at Reverend:
http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

The Double Agent has a HB in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.

The Rick Vito sig has a HB-sized, dual magnet singlecoil in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.

The Flatroc, Club King RT, Sensei RT and Tricky Gomez all feature RevTron mini-HBs, modeled after old FillerTron pickups. Fairly jangly- perfect for old style rockabilly, modern psychobilly, and some forms of indie.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've heard good things about Reverend, but there's not many about in the UK, unfortunately. But I dig their vintage styling, their interesting mix of different pickup types, and their belief that a filtertron will work in any guitar.
Well, you DID present an interesting challenge with your initial post- its only fair to challenge you back!

Reverends aren't common anywhere, they're a pretty small builder.

I personally got my own Reverend this January...and I had to order it from an out-of-state retailer, even though I live in a major metropolitan area in the USA. Part of that is because it was a limited edition guitar, but even so, there are only a couple of shops selling them within 100 miles of me. The place closest to me only has 5 in stock.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, you DID present an interesting challenge with your initial post- its only fair to challenge you back!

Reverends aren't common anywhere, they're a pretty small builder.

I personally got my own Reverend this January...and I had to order it from an out-of-state retailer, even though I live in a major metropolitan area in the USA. Part of that is because it was a limited edition guitar, but even so, there are only a couple of shops selling them within 100 miles of me. The place closest to me only has 5 in stock.

was it one of those gorgeous 15th anniversary flatrocs?
Yeeeeesssss.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yeeeeesssss.

You lucky bastard. I wanted that green flake one but didn't have the cash at the time, they were a deal and a half at that price too, like most reverends.
I was trying to get the blue metal flake, but #5 was sold in-store while my order was being processed online, and #9 was sold mere hours before I tried to buy it. The store that had #9 had also had red #4 as well as a flamed turquoise from earlier in the anniversary run...also both sold before I could pull the trigger on #9.

So all I could find were silvers & golds...I went with gold.

And I DO feel lucky- I wasn't going to buy a Flatroc of any kind...until I tried #5 in store. I should have just bought the thing right there, but I didn't want to make a pure impulse buy. I decided to think about it overnight. It was gone by close of sale that day.

I found #9 online, out of state, but balked again. Then I had an eventful following day, so I wasn't able to even consider buying it until @2AM of the next. I out in my order online, got confirmed, and went to bed.

...only to be met by a message in my inbox the next morning saying #9 had walked out of the door that morning before they checked their email. They were VERY cool about the process of getting me the gold, though- threw in the hardshell case for free.

Having seen Rev's metal flakes in person, I have to say they're simply incredible- damn near the best I've seen on a guitar- only a high-end Gibson SG I saw has had better- and they're using that finish on more of their guitars, now. The Sensei RT with Bigsby has the blue metal flake finish as an option, and I know there are others.

No metal flake reds or greens that I've noticed, though...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 25, 2013,