I've got this DeArmond starfire which is pretty nice. It's got these goldtone humbucking pickups. They have adjustable pole pieces.

My only gripe is that the bridge pickup is a tad too bright, and the neck pickup too bassy/lacking definition. So to switch between them I really need to adjust the amp settings. Is it possible to correct this disparity with the pickup height or is it going to be all down to the tone/volume controls?
Last edited by hessodreamy at Mar 25, 2013,
Yeah changing the pickup height might work. Try lowering the bridge pickup, so that it's farther from the strings. It might decrease the output and thus the volume a bit though. Just try it and see if it works, and if not just change it back to normal.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
When you say the bridge pickup is too bright, the only thing I'm thinking is; Use your tone control. I had had the same issue on one of my les pauls, and i constantly keep the bride tone control on about 8/10.

Dunno what to do with the neck pup tho.
I've currently got the pickups pretty low. And I usually have the bridge tone on about 7 or 8. Any lower and it just gets muddy.
Adjust your tone some more, or heighten the pickup and lower the tone even more? It might just give you the tone you're after. Try it
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
Putting the pickups closer to the strings will tend to make them a little brighter, and give them more output, but I've found they lose clarity somehow. Putting them into the body sounds warmer, and clearer, but loses high-end and output. So raising the neck, and dropping the body further may be the way to go. For stuff like this, just get experimenting. It doesn't cost any money to raise and lower pickups, and turn the volume and tone controls up and down. Small adjustments either way can yield unexpected, and beautiful results.
If you're finding that you still can't get the ticket, you may have to look into a new set of pickups that would better suit your sound.
Pull the pole pieces up on the neck pickup (anti-clockwise turns, it's just a screw) 1-2mm, and do the opposite to the bridge pickup (clockwise turns) to move the pole pieces down. Then you need to compensate the height a little bit, you may need to raise the bridge a little bit and/or lower the neck pickup.
You could try different pot values.

Most guitars with humbuckers come with 500k pots from the factory, but using 300k or 250k pots will help take the high end off a little bit.

I would try a 300k or 250k volume pot with a no-load tone control. Maybe a treble-bleed modification too.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
I would try a 300k or 250k volume pot

What, keep the neck pickup with 500k pots to keep it bright, and use 250k pot on the bridge to know a bit of top off?
I don't know a lot about this kind of stuff, but maybe adjust your amp?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by hessodreamy
What, keep the neck pickup with 500k pots to keep it bright, and use 250k pot on the bridge to know a bit of top off?

That would work assuming he is using a guitar with 2 volumes (like a Les Paul or something).

You can mix and match as much as you want. There really is no standard for pot values. Just use what works best for you.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.