So guys, I want to start mixing my guitar and electronic music. I have a computer with Ableton and it has an i7 processor.

For a keyboard I'm thinking: http://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_midistart_3_usb.htm

I'm stuck with what interface to go for with my guitar though:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_2i2.htm <<<makes sense since its got Ableton right?

or

http://www.thomann.de/gb/m_audio_mobilepre_mkii.htm

Anyone offer any advice? I plan to do the music at home and take the tracks elsewhere to get mixed since my room isn't treated.
Step up to the 2i4 if you plan on recording DI guitars. The 2i2 doesn't have a pad which is needed for some guitars. Don't waste money on the MobilePre, they're pieces of shit. The DI in for guitars is muddy & unclear.

Also, don't waste money on that midi keyboard. Look for something like the M-Audio Axiom series or the Akai MPK series. You'll want all the extra drum pads, faders & knobs since half of electronic music is how you mess with the synth settings as you're playing.

I know I just pretty much tripled the cost of everything but it'll be a lot more worth it in the long run.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I have a 2i2 and if you're planning on recording your guitars straight through that interface you'll need the 2i4.

The instrument setting on the 2i2 is way too hot and clips very easily, also provides fairly muddy sound
Quote by lockwolf
Step up to the 2i4 if you plan on recording DI guitars. The 2i2 doesn't have a pad which is needed for some guitars. Don't waste money on the MobilePre, they're pieces of shit. The DI in for guitars is muddy & unclear.

Also, don't waste money on that midi keyboard. Look for something like the M-Audio Axiom series or the Akai MPK series. You'll want all the extra drum pads, faders & knobs since half of electronic music is how you mess with the synth settings as you're playing.

I know I just pretty much tripled the cost of everything but it'll be a lot more worth it in the long run.

I have no problem paying more if it'll get me what I want, due to illness I've done nothing but work the past month and haven't spent much - I've decided to invest the money in this.

So I've clocked the 2i4 - DI guitars is definitely what I want, so that's good to go?

Here's my new selections:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_2i4.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_axiom_49_advanced_bundle.htm (extra 7 quid gets you the case so may as well)

Thoughts? The object is to make a combo of guitar+ electronic music, recent inspirations include Matt Lange, Andrew Bayer and as usual John Frusciante. Flea's Helen Burns is also something I'd be interested in emulating.
The Axiom is a good bit of kit, I have the same one (albeit with less keys.) I'd say that's a good choice of products there.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
The Axiom is a good bit of kit, I have the same one (albeit with less keys.) I'd say that's a good choice of products there.

I was debating whether I needed the keys, but I was thinking about learning piano/for once I have the money for it so I'm thinking why not.

Just need to be sure that box will sort the guitar out - I have a fender strat, single coil w Seymour Duncan x3 pickups.

Also when it comes to mixing - it's not worth consider in an untreated room is it? My ideal was to do all the recording and parts at home (minus any vocals) and then do the rest at a nearby studio including the mixing.
You CAN monitor in a untreated room, but there are things you need to worry about, like bass being trapped in the corners. If you're worried about it just get a good pair of headphones instead, like some Audio Technica M-50's and Sennheiser HD series.

But a mix of both is always a good idea. If you're looking on the budget the Behringer Truth series are good entry monitors.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by ChemicalFire
You CAN monitor in a untreated room, but there are things you need to worry about, like bass being trapped in the corners. If you're worried about it just get a good pair of headphones instead, like some Audio Technica M-50's and Sennheiser HD series.

But a mix of both is always a good idea. If you're looking on the budget the Behringer Truth series are good entry monitors.

I may buy things in x2s e.g. the DI box and keyboard, then headphones and monitors second since I've got some Sony earphones that would suffice the now.

Sounds crazy but I'm almost worry to buy this stuff incase it doesn't end up the way I want it to lol
Well the 2i4 is pretty much THE interface for beginners, good price, good feature set and the same pre-amps as their far more expensive products and I know at least one other reg here has the axiom and he likes his too.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well the 2i4 is pretty much THE interface for beginners, good price, good feature set and the same pre-amps as their far more expensive products and I know at least one other reg here has the axiom and he likes his too.

Bought both products, it's officially on.

Time to do my research on the sounds in my head and how to get them lol
Gonna steal this thread since I'm in kind of a hurry.

How does the M-Audio Fast Track C400 hold up against the 2i4? I can get it used at a low price but I don't want to buy something that's not right for me.

Any experiences? All I really need to record (for now) are miced amps and a midi keyboard.
Hold up against?

It doesn't.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Hold up against?

It doesn't.

Is it really that bad? They're the same price and I'm getting the C400 a lot cheaper so I figured it was worth considering. What am I losing out on?

Would you pick a Saffire 6 over the c400 too?

I don't really care about amp simulation or anything, I just want to get my vocals, my mic'd amps and my midi keyboard into my DAW.
The saffire 6 is the 2i4 which a different design and USB 2 support. The 2i4 is the Saffire's replacement.

If you want to mic things than you'll definitely want one of the Focusrite's. A/D conversion blows the fastcrap *ahem* fasttrack out of the water.

They're really not great. If you have no choice they're fine, but not compared the the saffire/2i4

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
The saffire 6 is the 2i4 which a different design and USB 2 support. The 2i4 is the Saffire's replacement.

If you want to mic things than you'll definitely want one of the Focusrite's. A/D conversion blows the fastcrap *ahem* fasttrack out of the water.

They're really not great. If you have no choice they're fine, but not compared the the saffire/2i4

Well this is turning into a difficult decision. Thing is they guy's also selling some great speakers and mics at great prices, but he'll only get rid of it as a package.

I'll think about it, appreciate the advice!
Actually, the C400 is a step in the right direction for the M-Audio line. Its miles better than the other stuff though, because of its price New, I'd go Focusrite over M-Audio. Though, if you could get the C400 for less than a 2i4, go for it.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp