Hello forum
So a while ago my lovely gibson ES-339 had a bit of an accident with a lynoleum floor, and due to the way it was weighted the headstock ended up taking the brunt of the fall and cracked at the neck joint (which I hear is fairly common). I got the headstock glued, but apparently the glue job was done improperly, and over the last few years the humidity changes and faulty repair job have made it impossible to set up the guitar. It has no visible damage (aside from the glued headstock), but is not in any shape to be sold for market value, as it needs either a new headstock or a new neck to be able to hold proper intonation. I'm wondering how much I can realistically expect to sell it for, so as to put the proceeds to some new gear (with the hardshell gibson case).
Thanks!
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Check the "completed auctions" on ebay, you'll see lots of broken-headed Gibosons there.

But if the guitar is as messed up as you describe (and not in any way playable) why not just list it with a super-low starting price and free shipping and take what you can get?
It's almost certainly going to be more lucrative to pay to get it fixed properly and then sell it. Selling an 'as-is' guitar with a failed headstock repair is going to net you basically nothing. You'll get whatever the electronics and individual parts are worth stripped and probably not much more. Probably $500 or something. The worst part is that the market is a lot smaller than for repaired guitars, so you might get hosed if you really want a shiny new something next week and have to sell. Nothing's cheaper than a broken guitar from a desperate seller.

With a decent fix you're looking at twice that, for sure. I'd at least take it in to a luthier to see how bad it is. You might get $700 out of a $250 fix.

If you decide not to do that and take your lumps...PM me.
I took it to my tech whose very very good, and he told me it needs a new headstock and preferably a new neck, and the gibson custom shop has quoted me a 1700 price, which is almost as much as I paid for it.
The thing is is the guitar is playable (action is fine) the intonation is just very bad and cannot be properly adjusted. I could be a scum bag and sell it as is, but there's no way I'm going to do that.
Roc8995, PM sent.
all the best.
Quote by tehREALcaptain
I took it to my tech whose very very good, and he told me it needs a new headstock and preferably a new neck, and the gibson custom shop has quoted me a 1700 price, which is almost as much as I paid for it.
The thing is is the guitar is playable (action is fine) the intonation is just very bad and cannot be properly adjusted. I could be a scum bag and sell it as is, but there's no way I'm going to do that.
Roc8995, PM sent.

Ouch! Well, whacked intonation isn't really playable...not sure how much you think you can get for it, if it were mine I'd just take off the neck and sell for parts...
[QUOTEOuch! Well, whacked intonation isn't really playable...not sure how much you think you can get for it, if it were mine I'd just take off the neck and sell for parts...

Yeah, "how much I think I can get for it", is kind of the question I was asking. Its a set-neck and I dont have the expertise to remove the neck. You think its a better idea to sell it for parts then as a fixer upper?
all the best.
Man that's heartbreaking, I feel your pain.
Have you tried warmoth or mighty mite for an aftermarket replacement neck? Sure it's not original fare, but at least it'll net you a playable guitar.
no i have not, but im definitely going to check it out.
all the best.
Quote by Roc8995
Nothing's cheaper than a broken guitar from a desperate seller

+1

Really, nothing's cheaper than a broken anything from a desperate seller.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Roc8995
It's almost certainly going to be more lucrative to pay to get it fixed properly and then sell it. Selling an 'as-is' guitar with a failed headstock repair is going to net you basically nothing. You'll get whatever the electronics and individual parts are worth stripped and probably not much more. Probably $500 or something. The worst part is that the market is a lot smaller than for repaired guitars, so you might get hosed if you really want a shiny new something next week and have to sell. Nothing's cheaper than a broken guitar from a desperate seller.

With a decent fix you're looking at twice that, for sure. I'd at least take it in to a luthier to see how bad it is. You might get $700 out of a $250 fix.

If you decide not to do that and take your lumps...PM me.

And me...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin