Page 4 of 5
Quote by Freepower
I like the guitar playing but not your singer.

I figured if anything was going to put people off it, he would probably be the thing

That's cool though man, glad you liked the playing
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by rarescrew
This is so informative!!thankz for sharing..

That's not what this thread is for dammit!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Busy week ahead of me.. Went to Distortionfest yesterday, Black Sabbath next thursday, Pokey LaFarge on saturday and Scale The Summit on sunday.. Good times
baab
Quote by My Last Words
Busy week ahead of me.. Went to Distortionfest yesterday, Black Sabbath next thursday, Pokey LaFarge on saturday and Scale The Summit on sunday.. Good times

Ahhh, so jealous!

Well on the plus side I get to see Bill Bailey on Friday :3

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Zaph, I just gave your album a listen. That was some really impressive playing there. I've been reading your posts on here forever and I've always wondered how good you actually sounded. Damn, son. That's some tight playing. The singer sounds really good, too, but that guitar work steals the show all the way.
Scale the Summit was awesome, stellar performance. Even met up with Chris (letchford) and Tymon Kruidenier from Exivious/former Cynic, who happened to be there. Told them that their bands should totally do a tour together. Asked Tymon about the new Cynic coming up next year, but all he said was "it's different". Chris signed his book on tapping which I bought. I probably sounded like an idiot, telling them how much I loved their playing and how talented they were and whatnot.. Good times nonetheless.
baab
Quote by Geldin
Zaph, I just gave your album a listen. That was some really impressive playing there. I've been reading your posts on here forever and I've always wondered how good you actually sounded. Damn, son. That's some tight playing. The singer sounds really good, too, but that guitar work steals the show all the way.

Seriously though: thanks man, I know everyone here has pretty high standards when it comes to this kind of thing so this is really validating

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I like the guitar playing in that album too and seems the strongest feature of the music. I think the singer is alright and sings well (but maybe better suited for another style), what stands out as a bit of negative for me is the drum tone, the kick and snare sounds like some 90s disco in some parts I think mixing the bass stronger could help too (there's interesting lines in there), seems the bass of the regular guitar is overpowering it a bit. Anyway it's cool to hear your music and thanks for sharing.
Haven't been around here in a long time..
edit: Now I remember.. the threads here get reposted every name by different users under a different name, formulated differently.

Seriously, kudo's to Zaph and Steven Seagull and all of those 5000+ post-users, for lingering here since the dawn of eternity, helping everyone. *bows*
baab
Last edited by My Last Words at Feb 18, 2014,
Quote by My Last Words
Haven't been around here in a long time..
edit: Now I remember.. the threads here get reposted every name by different users under a different name, formulated differently.

Seriously, kudo's to Zaph and Steven Seagull and all of those 5000+ post-users, for lingering here since the dawn of eternity, helping everyone. *bows*

I can't remember when it all changed but originally there were no technique forums, there was a huge technique thread in the shred forum. Then for a while it was split in to one advanced technique forum and one basics forum, then the current state with just the one technique forum.

I have completely lost all track of time in terms of when any of these changes happened though Although I think you can probably still find the mammoth thread in the archives somewhere... no way in hell would I want to read it though

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
^ yeah, there was a beginner forum and then the technique thread in the shred forum, then the advanced techniques forum, then we merged beginner and advanced techniques because it was silly keeping the knowledgeable people segregated from the people that needed help.

Here's that giant thread for any who are curious, I dispense lots of bad advice.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353140
Quote by Freepower
^ yeah, there was a beginner forum and then the technique thread in the shred forum, then the advanced techniques forum, then we merged beginner and advanced techniques because it was silly keeping the knowledgeable people segregated from the people that needed help.

Here's that giant thread for any who are curious, I dispense lots of bad advice.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353140

Ahhh, those were the days

Also I've just realised, this month is your 10-year UG anniversary dude!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Congrats FP!

On a side note.. I'm seeing this band called "The Aristocrats" or something, tonight. I regret buying the ticekt though, from what I've heard they are pretty average.
baab
Last edited by My Last Words at Feb 28, 2014,
Is there a lick thread where you can upload your own licks and exercises on guitar pro? Or is that allowed on the tabs upload domain?
Tryna bring this baaaaack. This thread has been too quiet!
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I've been playing way too much Hearthstone and just moved back to Australia from Vancouver. I wish I could bring myself to play guitar as much as I used to
I still like to help on here though, makes me feel at least a little useful haha
I played MTG as a kid, but hearthstone seems to be the future of card games. Been playing about a year now. Managed to hit legend for the first time last season which was a big milestone for me. I must have spent like $700 on this game by now

That was a super cool cover haha. Been meaning to get around to a cover myself for a while. Been practicing Memory Palace from the new Btbam album lately. Just need to set aside a day to not be lazy and actually record it.
Last edited by vayne92 at May 20, 2015,
XD

I think I've spent less than that on MTG and Dota2 combined! What's legend mean functionally? Like top 2% of active players or such?

Yeah I'm usually working on like 10 covers at once. Some take years (Shawn Lane stuff for example!) and some are just a weeks work. I really like doing the condensed riff covers because I know from youtube analytics that people only really want to watch approx a minute of the really tasty stuff.
I used to play a lot of Dota 2. Have ~1500 games or so. Haven't played since 6.80 though, but I still watch the pro scene. I was 4.5k mmr which is all right I suppose. I spent about $1000 on dota 2

I used to try and do 1 cover a month, but if the inspiration doesn't strike it doesn't generally happen. Last song that inspired me before the new stuff from Btbam's album was Ocean by John Butler. That was a fun one to learn!

Legend was the top 0.25% last season. Once you get past rank 1 you get to Legend and then you're placed in a separate ladder system with only other players who are Legend. The difference between a top legend player and just an average one like myself is pretty massive. I could never compete with those top top players. It's always exciting matching up against professional players though, even if I generally lose
4.5 is pretty legit, I was at 4.1 when I was playing a lot, 4.5 is comfortably in the top 1% which is good by any reasonable measure.

Yeah the skill cliff is pretty intense once you're in with the serious dudes. I remember one year in a guitar masterclass I was one of the best amateur guitar players... and the worst professionals were easily twice as good as I was! Bit of a wake up call there - not to mention the instructors were out of this world!
You Dota kids...

My LoL has been greatly neglected this season, as has my MtG, D&D, foruming, and just about everything in general. Works been nothing but busy busy busy.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
You Dota kids...

My LoL has been greatly neglected this season, as has my MtG, D&D, foruming, and just about everything in general. Works been nothing but busy busy busy.

Very much the same here, only replace "work" with "final year of university"!

Finally got on the Hearthstone bandwagon now that it's available on Android, although I royally suck

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by vayne92
I've been playing way too much Hearthstone and just moved back to Australia from Vancouver. I wish I could bring myself to play guitar as much as I used to
I still like to help on here though, makes me feel at least a little useful haha

Yeah I find myself answering technique questions on here and r/guitar more than actually practicing guitar myself.

University is far more time consuming than I thought it was and I haven't really practiced seriously since 1st year (end of 3rd now). Zaphod you're doing a PhD right? How did you manage to balance everything?
Quote by Anon17
Yeah I find myself answering technique questions on here and r/guitar more than actually practicing guitar myself.

University is far more time consuming than I thought it was and I haven't really practiced seriously since 1st year (end of 3rd now). Zaphod you're doing a PhD right? How did you manage to balance everything?

Nah, final undergrad year as well. To be honest I've been pretty awful at balancing things this year; aside from seeing my partner (which is harder than it might sound since we're in a long distance relationship), going to lectures, and studying I haven't really managed to do that much. Kind of wish I was doing a PhD to be honest, my uni offers a fair amount of funded courses but I don't know that I have the will to do it straight after 4 years of undergrad study, and I need a decent job in the coming year since my partner and I are planning on moving in together.

Since exams finished I've managed to find some time to play properly though, along with catching up on actually seeing my friends and watching a whole tonne of TV that I've been missing! Just as well really since I've been roped in to filling in on guitar for a friend of mine near the end of the month!

Freepower: what exams have you been getting done? I didn't even know you were studying...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 7, 2015,
I don't envy you guys. I remember most of my last year and a half of uni, it was just a mess of stress and booze. And I didn't even have a particularly difficult major.

Ya'll need to join me for absinthe night, takes the edge off of finals and thesis's like nobodies business.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Finally got on the Hearthstone bandwagon now that it's available on Android, although I royally suck

I'd always be happy to mentor you if you like, but you're from the UK so you're probably on the EU server, whilst I'm on the Americas
Last edited by vayne92 at Jun 9, 2015,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Since exams finished I've managed to find some time to play properly though, along with catching up on actually seeing my friends and watching a whole tonne of TV that I've been missing!

TV is like the easiest way to decide it's not fun to practice guitar and it's instead more fun to watch Community and noodle about unplugged at the same time

What subject did you do if you're finishing after 4 years? I'm on a 4 year course (so I'm going into my last year next year) but I'm doing maths so it's fairly standard to take the masters, most humanities students seem to do 3 years or 4 years with a year abroad in the middle though.
Quote by Tostitos
I don't envy you guys. I remember most of my last year and a half of uni, it was just a mess of stress and booze. And I didn't even have a particularly difficult major.

Ya'll need to join me for absinthe night, takes the edge off of finals and thesis's like nobodies business.

Haha, don't think I've ever drunk any real absinthe actually, I know I've had some cheap crap that just 'was green' and had a high alchohol content but I don't imagine it was anything like the real deal!

Yeah, this year's been pretty hard work, lot of stress going on, tbh without my partner to help me calm down when I've freaked out it would have been so much worse as well!

What did you major in, if you don't mind my asking?

Quote by vayne92
I'd always be happy to mentor you if you like, but you're from the UK so you're probably on the EU server, whilst I'm on the Americas

Much as I appreciate the offer, I'm really not in it to be massively competitive, I'm quite happy being awful really! I generally play late at night before I go to sleep, so getting in to the whole competitive thing... naaaahhhh!

Quote by Anon17
TV is like the easiest way to decide it's not fun to practice guitar and it's instead more fun to watch Community and noodle about unplugged at the same time

Eh, I don't tend to really sit and watch much actual TV, I have about 3-4 shows that I keep up with, just been marathoning stuff since exams and stuff ended because it's all been accumulating on my to-watch list!

Quote by Anon17
What subject did you do if you're finishing after 4 years? I'm on a 4 year course (so I'm going into my last year next year) but I'm doing maths so it's fairly standard to take the masters, most humanities students seem to do 3 years or 4 years with a year abroad in the middle though.

Computer science, but I also did a year in industry, very nice to have a year's real work experience under my belt as part of my degree! Maths is some pretty hard core stuff if you ask me, like... I get parts of it (CS covers a bit of abstract maths if you do it right), and I know a few mathematicians to talk with about stuff but I know there's a butt-tonne of it I just do not understand

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Freepower: what exams have you been getting done? I didn't even know you were studying...

I'm doing Computer Science at Trinity College Dublin, only first year so not too stressful yet, though the course is pretty challenging (and a lot of fun!).

This year I got a microcontroller to play the Mario theme, having to come up with a way to store the periods and durations of the notes in RISC assembly. Good times!

What subject did you do if you're finishing after 4 years?

All the computer science courses I was applying to in Dublin were 4 year undergrads, I would rather blitz it but I can't make em.

Dublin's a great place for IT though, I didn't manage to get any summer internships (who wants a first year screwing up their codebase?) but I'm hopeful for next year and the job prospects on graduation.

Now off for the punishing task of playing some Witcher 3.
Quote by Freepower
I'm doing Computer Science at Trinity College Dublin, only first year so not too stressful yet, though the course is pretty challenging (and a lot of fun!).

This year I got a microcontroller to play the Mario theme, having to come up with a way to store the periods and durations of the notes in RISC assembly. Good times!

Oh, that's awesome, always happy to see more people getting in to CS!

Sounds like what you're doing is more low-level than most of what I studied, but to be honest that kind of stuff close to the metal really isn't my speciality anyway, I did choose things that were more abstract on purpose

Quote by Freepower
Now off for the punishing task of playing some Witcher 3.

I am quite severely jealous of anyone who can actually play that game, I keep seeing lets plays on youtube and one of my housemates has it on PC but I don't have anything that is actually capable of running the damn thing!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 11, 2015,
Sounds like what you're doing is more low-level than most of what I studied, but to be honest that kind of stuff close to the metal really isn't my speciality anyway, I did choose things that were more abstract on purpose

Well, this first year we've kinda done the whole range from high to low, from doing data visualisation with Processing to building simple transistor logic circuits and everything in between.

I like how broad it is and it's really interesting and occasionally useful to know the "under the hood" stuff, but I would like to spend more time coding in high level languages. I'm trying to keep sharp over the summer doing the project euler stuff, have you any recommendations for resources to use?

I am quite severely jealous of anyone who can actually play that game, I keep seeing lets plays on youtube and one of my housemates has it on PC but I don't have anything that is actually capable of running the damn thing!

I'm running it with everything set to lowest and it's still gorgeous! I wish I had a PC that could push it but I've very little money nowadays.