I am female and did girl stuff growing up
5 4%
I am female and did boy stuff growing up
5 4%
I am gay and did gay stuff growing up
15 11%
Voters: 137.
Page 1 of 3
When you were a child growing up, did you ever do things that were not typical of your gender? Did your parents try to steer you away from whatever it was that you were doing, or did they accept it? Do you think that this shaped how you turned out as an adult? Am I asking too many questions?

I had an easy-bake-oven when I was a kid, but I mostly stayed on the side of sports and action figures. I couldn't really do anything else considering I had two older brothers who would persecute me for doing anything out of the norm.

Poll incoming.
I use to dress up my barbie dolls. I'd go to the store and buy them nice outfits and bonnets.

edit: V HA FAG
Sail upon the open skies
I play the flute. Got endless shit for it in elementary school.
Check out my band Disturbed
Edit: LOL HOMO ^^

I was very sensitive. They would call me a girl for crying so much.

I turned out f-fine.
I liked to dance when I was really young. It felt weird because the only people I'd seen dancing at that time talkig ages (6-8 here) were girls so I just assumed only girls did it.
Well... I'll just leave it at I can count on one hand all of the male cousins I have, and I can count on one finger the amount of male cousins I spent time with hanging out growing up.

So.... yeah. I was raised pretty much being with my sister, my two female cousins, my aunt, mom, and grandma.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
What if I'm straight and did gay things growing up?
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
I am a man, and I did/do manly stuff.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
What if I'm straight and did gay things growing up?

You'll slowly turn into a gay later in life.
I don't like the poll choices so I picked the last one.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by chev311e
You'll slowly turn into a gay later in life.

Not my fault both fashion and boobies are awesome...

Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
Quote by whywefight

Edit: just kidding, I loved No Doubt as a kid.

Who didn't.

Gwen Stefani was hot.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
we have so many gender roles imposed on us and it's gross

one thing that bothers me is that it's more acceptable for girls to play around with gender norms because masculinity is considered superior whereas femininity is considered inferior, so it's a lot harder for boys to try anything more feminine because being effeminate is a bad thing

this also leads to a lot of boys having to repress their sexuality i think, which leads to all the dumb "no homo" bullshit and the standard of having to "be a man" and be all macho and it's all just dumb

that being said, i wish i could wear skirts and stockings and dresses and tights and lingerie because girls clothes are cute as hell
i had action figures...i played lots of videos games as a kid
me and my dad would build shit out of wood
when i was 10 i started going to work at my dads construction job my job was to measure and mark the drywall for the guys to cut it until i was old enough to cut it and instal myself
i worekd there for years eventually ill get a call to help em out or fill in for a guy who didnt show up
this job showed me to work throught pain i got a nail through my hand once didnt even cry
my father was very proud
at age 15 i worked at a butcher shop thye took me to the slaughter house every once in a while had to kill a few animals...
but i also baked and knitted and cooked and did othe rthings that are considered womens work no one gave ashit my mom liked it cause she didnt have to cook my dad liked it because i dont sacrifice flavour for health

edit once i did powderpuff for high school my mom asked if i was gay she still asks even thougth ive brought home girls...but oh well **** gender roles

i turne dout okay if not for the nightmares O.0
Last edited by supersac at Mar 25, 2013,
Even with having 7 sisters I was still a pretty manly kid.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I grew up playing with toy cars, watching cartoons, building shit with my LEGO and K'nex and climbing trees and shit. Hated dolls. Got an Action Man once, but I just didn't know what to do with it. Attempted playing with it several because I didn't have the heart to tell my parents they'd wasted their money, but it just wasn't for me.
Quote by supersac
i had action figures...i played lots of videos games as a kid
me and my dad would build shit out of wood
when i was 10 i started going to work at my dads construction job my job was to measure and mark the drywall for the guys to cut it until i was old enough to cut it and instal myself
i worekd there for years eventually ill get a call to help em out or fill in for a guy who didnt show up
this job showed me to work throught pain i got a nail through my hand once didnt even cry
my father was very proud
at age 15 i worked at a butcher shop thye took me to the slaughter house every once in a while had to kill a few animals...
but i also baked and knitted and cooked and did othe rthings that are considered womens work no one gave ashit my mom liked it cause she didnt have to cook my dad liked it because i dont sacrifice flavour for health

edit once i did powderpuff for high school my mom asked if i was gay she still asks even thougth ive brought home girls...but oh well **** gender roles

i turne dout okay if not for the nightmares O.0

Go back to school you illiterate heretic.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by aCloudConnected

one thing that bothers me is that it's more acceptable for girls to play around with gender norms because masculinity is considered superior whereas femininity is considered inferior, so it's a lot harder for boys to try anything more feminine because being effeminate is a bad thing

True dat. Girls will even get rewarded for such behavior and even steered towards masculine things by their parents.
I'm not even sure now that I think about it. I played with Lego and wore boys clothes. I got those awesome beast wars action figures to play with. No dolls or anything. My parents took me to home depot for weekend shop classes. I built birdhouses and other shit with my dad and two brother.

I guess the closest I got to things considered girly was learn to clean and cook from my mom.

I hate these gender roles. They suck.
I loved the Backstreet Boys. That was about it.

I turned out awesome.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by aCloudConnected
that being said, i wish i could wear skirts and stockings and dresses and tights and lingerie because girls clothes are cute as hell

I know, right? I grew up jelly as **** of chick threads.

But, honestly, I never had the bum the pull it off...

That being said, the scientist in me would like to point out that evolutionary biology is drowning in evidence which support gender roles as an evolutionary adaptation rather than strictly cultural.
Quote by ironman1478
Quote by ProfessorJim
Last edited by GNR_Duff_rules at Mar 25, 2013,
I had a lot of stuffed animals if that counts, although I think that's more generally childish than boyish or girlish.

I never liked actions figures, though, maybe because I had no imagination.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by AeroRocker
I loved the Backstreet Boys. That was about it.

I turned out awesome.

Lucky you turning out awesome. I have a mate who loves them, one of his favourite bands.

He's 20.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Go back to school you illiterate heretic.

its serious problem
i CAN type correctly and with grammar and punctuation
but **** that noise
For some reason, "I am gay and did gay stuff growing up" just sounds hilarious to me. What kind of gay stuff are we talking about?

I'm a straight guy that did a lot of art as a kid, and some people said it was girly. But most people just admired. And twiddled their diddles if ya know what I'm sayin.
the word "Gay" and "Gay" stuff are based on our american cultures, The Ancient greeks had homosexual sex regularly and considered nothing of it. These labels are pointless and Genders dont have bounds outside of culture.
Quote by hightension01
The Ancient greeks had homosexual sex regularly and considered nothing of it.

Is this actually true? I hear this factoid being thrown around a lot.

I remember reading that they valued male friendship above heterosexual romantic relationships (bros before hoes) but I'm not even sure how true that is.
I used to iron my hair. I was constantly confused for a girl. That still happens sometimes.
Quote by MDoggDX316
To quote Granddad, "I think ALL marriage should be illegal."

[quote="'-[NiL"]-'] I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
I liked dressing up and impersonating women's characters from the books I read as a kid, but otherwise I was pretty much a little dude. I played sports and only wore boys clothes cause that's all my folks bought me.

My 12 year old sister also played sports and wore my old clothes, but she did all the girly stuff as well. It is true and ****ed that because masculinity is seen as superior, girls doing "boy" stuff is alright and even encouraged - when my sis showed talent for soccer our dad was rapt - but boys doing "girl" stuff is somehow wrong. I had my dramatic flair beat out of me pretty quick, although it's resurfaced now I'm an adult.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
When I was a kid I played baseball. Now that I'm an adult I play bar league baseball.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Forgot to say - I also love to cook (especially to bake) to the point where any girl who moves in with me has to learn the kitchen is my domain.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Page 1 of 3