jmclane31
21 IQ
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get a new tuner and bouncing back and forth between the Korg Pitchblack Poly and the Daddario Tru Strobe. I'm upgrading from a cheap $10 Korg tuner and i was wondering if anyone had any input. The Daddario Tru Strobe is a cheap strobe, but a strobe nonetheless. Is the Korg Pitchblack Poly as accurate as the Daddario Tru Strobe?
tullbassist
33 IQ
personally, i love the TC Electronic polytune.
that can operate as either traditional needle style or strobe, with polyphonic mode available at all times.
off the top of my head, it's accurate at 0.5 cent. i wouldn't swap mine for any other
ikey_
4,739 IQ
got 40 bucks? try a GFS. going about 2 years strong.

check the display in this thread i made....big and bright. accurate, has half step adjustments, silent tning, etc. awesome.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1597301
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
higgycr
54 IQ
I have a regular korg pitchblack and its the best tuner i have ever had.

I think to be honest the difference between korg or the tc electronic tuner or any other "decent" tuner is so little it doesn't matter. All of them will do the job, its just personal taste.
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by ikey_
got 40 bucks? try a GFS. going about 2 years strong.

check the display in this thread i made....big and bright. accurate, has half step adjustments, silent tning, etc. awesome.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1597301

i like the pitchblack. $70 get a 15% from MF, gets you down to $60, and it would ship free.

from GFS you will have to pay for more shipping as well. that probably keeps it up to a $10 difference. $40+~$10 shipping

personally i went with the korg for that reason. $10 to get something better IMO and something i got to check out instead of ordering blindly. i like the full and half strobe modes, gets you right in tone. really bright and easy to see. it also has power out on it too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by higgycr
I have a regular korg pitchblack and its the best tuner i have ever had.

I think to be honest the difference between korg or the tc electronic tuner or any other "decent" tuner is so little it doesn't matter. All of them will do the job, its just personal taste.

My brother has a pitch black. I don't care for the display so I picked a Polytune. I love it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
ikey_
4,739 IQ
well if there is a $10 dollar difference...that narrows the field. for list price, i think the GFS is hard to beat
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead
488 IQ
GFS is good, so is Pitchblack. If you want the best, scrounge up the cash for a Turbotuner though.
Guitarbaddie
Back From The Dead
1,084 IQ
Quote by ikey_
well if there is a $10 dollar difference...that narrows the field. for list price, i think the GFS is hard to beat

I got mine for $40 after tax off their site, but the price has probably gone up due to popularity.
Squier Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
GFT-90
EncoreBlade
2,747 IQ
Yea the pitchblack is a great tuner. Another suggestion for on the go, quick tuning is to try out headstock tuner. I've got the Snark headstock tuner and it works pretty well. You can also let your bandmates use it before you start playing so that you're all in tune and won't sound like garbage due to untuned instruments.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Dr Sin
632 IQ
There's a new version of the Pitchblack that is Polyphonic like the TC Electronic. Personally I'd never choose a non-polyphonic tuner after owning the Polytune, the strum-all feature is just too useful! :P
Lhmcg
18 IQ
My vote is for the TC Electronic polytune. ! Great pedal.
rander7917
200 IQ
the boss tu 3 is what a lot of artists use. It great and it's built like a freaking tank
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
I have no comments on my TU-3 - which is a great thing. I don't ever think about it, it's just there, and it works. It's not polyphonic, but it does track really fast.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
rander7917
200 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
I have no comments on my TU-3 - which is a great thing. I don't ever think about it, it's just there, and it works. It's not polyphonic, but it does track really fast.

I've had mine for going on 8 years (it might be a tu 2 the label has rubbed off though I really don't know the difference )
And it works great. It's never messed up its never been wrong. It picks up quick and like I said it's built like a tank, it's been dropped and stomped many times. I know literally nothing about the ones you mentioned and I apologize but this thing is really what to get.

If I were you I would save up a little more and get this thing and never have to worry about it again
Slap-happy
994 IQ
I see an even split, pretty much, between TC Electronics Polytunes and TU-3s on the boards of pro players.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Guitarbaddie
Back From The Dead
1,084 IQ
Why bother with a TU-3 when you could just get a Turbo Tuner?
Squier Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
GFT-90
rander7917
200 IQ
Realistically what's the difference? Both tune and do it accurately. When looking at a tuner the biggest things to look at is:

Does it have a mic? (if you need one)

Does it have an output jack? (if you need one)

And how tough is it?

All tuners basically do the same thing. From the 5 dollar disposable ones to the expensive pedal ones. You hit a note and it tells you if that note is in tune.

Why bother with it? Like I said it's a tank. The tu 3 even has a built in bypass (I'm thinking of buying it because of that so I won't need a volume pedal just for that since I apparently have the tu 2 and didn't know it)
Guitarbaddie
Back From The Dead
1,084 IQ
Quote by rander7917
Realistically what's the difference? Both tune and do it accurately. When looking at a tuner the biggest things to look at is:

Does it have a mic? (if you need one)

Does it have an output jack? (if you need one)

And how tough is it?

All tuners basically do the same thing. From the 5 dollar disposable ones to the expensive pedal ones. You hit a note and it tells you if that note is in tune.

Why bother with it? Like I said it's a tank. The tu 3 even has a built in bypass (I'm thinking of buying it because of that so I won't need a volume pedal just for that since I apparently have the tu 2 and didn't know it)

Brightness of the display can be an issue. Also, the more accurate the tuner, the better.

I just go for the GFS tuner anyways, was 40 when I bought it, tough, bright, accurate. I should be good for a long time.
Squier Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
GFT-90
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser
1,498 IQ
Quote by rander7917

accuracy varies between tuner models. the pitchblack has an accuracy of 1 cent. the turbo tuner has an accuracy of 0.02 cents; that is to say, 20 times more accurate. say for example you used the pitchblack to tune a note to 440hz. realistically, your note is between 439 and 441. compared to the turbo tuner, your note would be between 439.98 and 440.02. now, that doesn't sound like much on an individual string, but when you add up tuning discrepancies between multiple strings in the form of chords, you will be able to hear the difference when your chord sounds a little sour.
ikey_
4,739 IQ
im probably gonna have to say that almost every well known tuner on the market (boss, korg, poly, even GFS arguably) is accurate enough for almost any person.

if any of these, the boss is the least accurate and more pros have used that than anything. easily the most used tuner pedal.

splitting hairs here....sound better by learning to play better. thats going to carry you further than 1/4 cent of a tuner. pressing to hard on a string will take you out of tune far more than that
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
kenshi1967
Guitar Abuser
35 IQ
I have the PeWaves JPT-10 tuner on my pedalboard that works excellent.
http://www.pewaves.com/products/Guitar%20Pedals/JPT-10
I also have a Snark tuner. works great for setting up guitars at home and
my acoustic.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
Bigbazz
122 IQ
I just bought a Tc electronics Polytune, best tuner I've ever used so really happy with it.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Clarkinator
976 IQ
I love my TC Electronic Polytune. The ability to strum all the strings and quickly see what is out of tune is great for gigging and tuning on the fly. There are a ton of used ones on ebay too if you want to save some bucks. Also, the mini might be nice if you've got a stocked pedal board.