Hello everyone!

I'm just starting to play the guitar and my boyfriend is offering to spend $200 on one for my birthday. He currently has a Tim Armstrong (Hellcat) concert Fender and I've been playing on that. I tried out a few smaller sized instruments this weekend (parlor perhaps), and found a Hosco Wood Land Gypsy Jazz guitar that I fell in love with. It was consigned for $200 but we weren't able to find out much about the brand so we decided to hold off.

Right now I am pretty much settled on the Fender Folk CF-140S (new) which has great reviews for the price. All the gypsy jazz guitars run about $400 new. But I'm also still considering that Hosco Wood Land used guitar.

I fell in love with the sound of the gypsy jazz guitar but I don't only want to play gypsy jazz music, in fact I know nothing about it... I want to play whatever I want to play. Right now I'm learning things like Simple Man and Indie songs. Would it be silly to start with a gypsy jazz guitar... and does anyone know anything about the Hosco Wood Land? Or should I just stick with the Fender Folk and think about jazz guitars later.

Thanks for the help!
i've never heard of the Hosco so i can't offer much help. so given that, i would naturally go for the Fender. we here at UG are profoundly in love with the Yamaha fg700s as a phenomonal starter guitar. you get a good solid spruce top guitar with excellent sound for around $200.
which version of simple man? Shinedown makes an excellent cover of it, they have a lot of easier Rock songs along that vein.
I definitely want something with a smaller body, which is why I was looking at the "folk" sized Fender. The concert Fender my boyfriend has is not bad, but a full sized dreadnought would not be ideal.
Quote by bent birches
Right now I am pretty much settled on the Fender Folk CF-140S (new) which has great reviews for the price. All the gypsy jazz guitars run about $400 new. But I'm also still considering that Hosco Wood Land used guitar.
I thought true "Gypsy Jazz" guitars had a extra long bridge and a couple of other mods designed for a flamenco, percussive style. Is that the case here? (Google, "golpeador").

In layman's terms, "so you can bang on the top".
I honestly don't understand much about the differences between the two, but I know I loved the sound of the gypsy jazz guitar. I watched a few videos of Django playing and I definitely have a long way to go before I'm doing anything other than simple chords and strumming patterns, so I'm starting to think I should stick with the Fender Folk until I reach intermediate and then get a gypsy jazz in a year or two. I literally just started playing a few weeks ago.

But one final note is that I tend to focus on unique aspects of a hobby when I start something, for whatever reason I just get into things more when there is something different about my approach. Like with gardening I hyper focussed on unusual heirlooms, with painting I fell in love with staccato strokes and cold wax mediums. So there is a part of me that thinks that if I get a gypsy jazz guitar I might be more interested because it's not something other people are going to have/be doing. And I've heard that having an emotional connection to your first guitar is important so that you want to keep learning/playing more.

Bottom line is I could have ordered that Fender already and I keep thinking about the darn used Hosco Gypsy Jazz!
To hear the guys over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum tell it... .If you even attempt to play Gypsy Jazz on anything other than a vintage Maccaferri guitar... Gypsy commandos will sneak into your house at night and cut all your fingernails off...

It is a fairly advanced playing style.. Good luck.
Gypsy Jazz guitars tend not to lend themselves very well to other styles. The tone is percussive with a fast attack and a fast decay-no long, lingering harmonically-rich sustain here. For a strummer or fingerpicker I'd look elsewhere, frankly. The Gypsy Jazz style of guitar is too genre-specific although, in the right hands, it can produce nice sounds.

I would also steer clear of Fender acoustics-they just don't make very good acoustic guitars, and never have.
Yamaha make excellent acoustics from the basic, but very good, FG700S at around $200/£200, right up to the LL86 Custom at about $10,000.
For a smaller guitar try the Yamaha FS720S.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjTbZi9bWxk

(I have no affiliation with the makers of the video. It was the best demo I could find.)
Last edited by snakestretcher at Mar 26, 2013,
Can you put that $200 towards a jazz guitar and do monthly payments for the rest? A lot of shops offer 0% financing for 6 - 12 months. That way you get the guitar you most want now and you don't have to save $400.

In the folk $200 price range, I have not tried the Fender, but the specs seem decent. The Yamaha FS720 is a good guitar(yamahas seem pretty solid across the board) it sounds good too. I have also looked at the Cort Luce100 models they offer both a parlor size and a folk size and both sound decent.

Try out a bunch of guitars and have fun in your search and enjoy whatever guitar you end up with.
there aren't many halfway decent new guitars for $200. that being said, if you love that gypsy jazz guitar you found consigned for $200, does the brand really matter? what matters is build quality and tone, especially if you buy used, since you won't have a warranty. you can check the guitar carefully for cracks and other issues. while it's true that a gypsy jazz guitar may not be as versatile as other kinds of guitars, if you love the tone, i say why not get it and enjoy it?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I have a Hosco Woodland....anybody know anything about it? It has a model number (WM-650)...could it be a kit?
Get the Fender IMHO
Gypsy Jazz guitars don't work so well for other styles - no bass resonance