Page 1 of 2
Alright, so basically I am in need of a decent amp for small to medium gigs. The other guitarist in my band has a Fender Frontman 212r, and it sounds pretty good to me (although I'm no gear snob). I've been looking at getting a 212r but I've also seen a Marshall mg 250 dfx for $200 on local classifieds. Are there any other suggestions (and as much as I'd love a tube half stack, it's really not in my budget right now)
what kind of music?

I would try a Peavey classic 30/50 combo, all tube and pretty cheap used.

Please don't get a MG or Frontman if your giging you will seriously regret it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I do mainly rock, some shoegazing/new wave, and indie. Possibly some old punk. Definitely no hardcore stuff.

Also, what is wrong with them? I've read some negative things about the marshall especially but nobody explained what it was...
Really, what I'm looking for is loudness, with decent sound. I'm not too bother with having a tube or not.
Quote by paisley-adams
I do mainly rock, some shoegazing/new wave, and indie. Possibly some old punk. Definitely no hardcore stuff.

Also, what is wrong with them? I've read some negative things about the marshall especially but nobody explained what it was...

The MG line is not a good sounding amp at all. And for your budget you can do so much better. And it is nothing more than a bedroom practice amp in a bigger form

The same goes for the Fender

A peavey classic 30 or 50 would be really nice for what you want. They also take pedals very well.

You can also look at the Peavey ultra 1x12 or 2x12 combo. These are <$400 on www.guitarcenter.com/used They are the the precursor to the Peavey JSX/XXX/3120 and really good and versitile
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay, thanks... however, reading some reviews for the Peaveys they seem more blues oriented. Do they get grittier at higher volumes? I'm looking for something that can keep the cleans while louder.
Where are you at? Maybe we can find a good used one for you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by paisley-adams
Okay, thanks... however, reading some reviews for the Peaveys they seem more blues oriented. Do they get grittier at higher volumes? I'm looking for something that can keep the cleans while louder.

Either the Peavey ultra combo or the classic 50 if you want loud and clean. The classic 30 is great, but gets dirty quicker.

The ultra can do cleans-modern metal gain wise. The classic 50 can get to hard-rock type of gain.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well then let me restate the question... what is the best amp for gigging under 350 that will give me the most bang for the buck? (keeping in mind I'm playing indie rock, new wave, rock, alt rock)
Thank you
Paisley - Do you need to be very loud and stay clean? PV might be good as they have tube amps since the last time i used one, but i really RECOMMEND STAY WITH TUBE AMP FOR SURE. They support your pedals MUCH BETTER than solid state. PV's do CLEAN extremely well but i have doubts about them being fat and real on rock. Although, a small SUPER VALUE for tube overdrive and clean sound is the old VOX 40 watt valvetronix. They can get very loud for their size, and have a great sound. Their problem is, you really have to take time to learn how to use the controls. They're extremely versatile, and very authentic for the money. HOWEVER, my top recommendation would be a good quality small all tube amp, with no frills, paired with 1 or 2x12's in a sealed cabinet, and use good pedals with it. You could use a small FENDER combo ALL TUBE amp, and add to it a sealed 2x12's. You can unplug the combo speakers if there's no extension speaker out, but best case would be have the combo spkrs AND sealed cab in operation. with decent pedals, even a small tube amp will give you alot of sound. AND, a few don't know that Jimmy Page used a small tube amp pushed just a little to do solo on "Whole Lotta Love". That's old though. But still, point is made. If you mic (I hope), you can really kick, with a small tube amp CRANKED. Pedals will perform BETTER than you might immagine. I sure hope it works out for you. One more thing. If you already have a decent amp, but the sound is NOT AUTHENTIC. You may want to check out Tonelab ST or the like. VERY REAL TUBE DRIVE sound great live OR IN THE STUDIO. Easy to use. Rick
Last edited by RickNPHX at Mar 25, 2013,
Either of the Peavey amps are a great value, But I would take the Ultra over the classic 50

There is a 1x12 Peavey Ultra combo for $269 at www.guitarcenter.com/used It is hard to beat that much amp for that little of a price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RickNPHX
Paisley - What are you playing? How loud do you need to be clean, how overdriven do you want to be when you play loud? Do you use pedals? You can probably get a versatile tube amp used for cheap right now if you buy privately. Tube will support pedals WAY BETTER THAN solid state. Same with small cab. The really expensive tube amps are either modern ones designed to be played cranked for tube overdrive, or vintage amps that are probably clearner than you'd want anyway. Fenders support pedals really well, but also sound good and fat clean if supported with good speakers. DEFINITELY STAY AWAY FROM SOLID STATE. IF YOU ARE PLAYING ALOT OF HARD ROCK OR METAL BUT YOU ALSO WANT SOUND GOOD PLAYING CLEAN, I recommend Fender or other solidly built tube amp. Peavy can be great in the right circumstances - low volume country, and being well mic'd and a good sound for rock is not important. Also, you may have a friend willing to help you build a cab with a couple of decent used celestion 12's or may find a used 2 12 cab. Reason i say celestion, is they are designed to sound good distorted without blowing. But there are other speakers that are probably even better for Rock I'm not sure. Hope that helps. Rick

So much of this is wrong
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think the Peavey Classic 30 would be up your alley, honestly. You'd probably prefer the headroom of the Classic 50, but it's going to be hard to find an amp that sounds good for what you want and that has the clean headroom for under $350. If you can play mic'd up, a Vox AC15 with an overdrive pedal would work.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
I think the Peavey Classic 30 would be up your alley, honestly. You'd probably prefer the headroom of the Classic 50, but it's going to be hard to find an amp that sounds good for what you want and that has the clean headroom for under $350. If you can play mic'd up, a Vox AC15 with an overdrive pedal would work.

+1
I sugested the ultra because it is versitile and the price is below what he wants to spend

I just checke again, and there are a few Classic 30 combos for $300ish and even a 2x12 Classic 50 for $350 (I'd snag that TS)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by paisley-adams
I've heard good things about vox amps... are they more for studio use though?

No, but they are out of your budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay. So my initial reaction from you guys is go Peavey, would that make it a good all around amp even if I wanted to go into the studio with it?
Quote by Robbgnarly
The MG line is not a good sounding amp at all. And for your budget you can do so much better. And it is nothing more than a bedroom practice amp in a bigger form

The same goes for the Fender

A peavey classic 30 or 50 would be really nice for what you want. They also take pedals very well.

You can also look at the Peavey ultra 1x12 or 2x12 combo. These are <$400 on www.guitarcenter.com/used They are the the precursor to the Peavey JSX/XXX/3120 and really good and versitile

Doesnt Wayne Static use Marshall MG's??
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by paisley-adams
Okay. So my initial reaction from you guys is go Peavey, would that make it a good all around amp even if I wanted to go into the studio with it?

Yeah, with your budget, Peavey is the best option really. Those Peavey amps are all made in the USA with very good parts and QC.

And yes either the Classic 30/50 or ultra is fine for recording
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ibanez_guru

Who is that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ibanez_guru

I think he has an MG endorsement, but I think he actually has different amps in MG shells.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
It would make sense if he did use MG's for everything tho.

because his sound is shite.......
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, with your budget, Peavey is the best option really. Those Peavey amps are all made in the USA with very good parts and QC.

And yes either the Classic 30/50 or ultra is fine for recording

I've used a SS 100 Watt PV for YEARS. They are very good amps, and versatile. But if doing rock, especially metal etc, (if a young person especially), the sound is like a recorded overdrive, very disorted and sizzly, rather than thick room overdrive. For that reason I suggested some small all tube like a fender - I'm sure there's better for rock. But I agree those newer PV's are very fine amps.
Also, I've only had one guitar amp ever, and it may or may not be a fender frontman 15r...

So, I've never played with tube amps. The one thing I'm worried about is the cost to maintain them. Forgive me, but I'm pretty new to the amps thing (I know my guitars though), if one of you could be kind enough to explain why everyone seems to adore tubes to solid state?
Quote by RickNPHX
I've used a SS 100 Watt PV for YEARS. They are very good amps, and versatile. But if doing rock, especially metal etc, (if a young person especially), the sound is like a recorded overdrive, very disorted and sizzly, rather than thick room overdrive. For that reason I suggested some small all tube like a fender - I'm sure there's better for rock. But I agree those newer PV's are very fine amps.

Read the posts, he is not playing metal, he is playing Indie/shoegaze and rock and those are all tube amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by paisley-adams
Also, I've only had one guitar amp ever, and it may or may not be a fender frontman 15r...

So, I've never played with tube amps. The one thing I'm worried about is the cost to maintain them. Forgive me, but I'm pretty new to the amps thing (I know my guitars though), if one of you could be kind enough to explain why everyone seems to adore tubes to solid state?

Tube amps are not as bad as people make them out to be. Tubes do fail and wear out over time, but I have had tube amps for years and most of them have tubes for 2yrs or more. and the old tubes were still functioning just fine. And I used to gig 3+ times aweek and do band practices also.

And like I said, Peaveys are built really good

www.guitarcenter.com/used has a 30 day return policy so if you have issues or don't like it you can return it no questions.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 25, 2013,
+1

Tube amps are a hell of lot easier to diagnose and work too Paisley, for you or an amp tech. Don't let that confuse your decision making. Also, I've owned a Fender Frontman 212, Peavey Valveking 112 and Peavey Vypry tube 60. Get a Peavey. Classic 30's are great amps. If you tell me where you live roughly I'll hunt your craigslist real quick.
TS, tube amps can be just as reliable as any solid state, they do require tube replacement, but as Robb said, it is usually at least a couple years in-between tube changes. Other than that, they are prone to the same problems any other amp is.

On the subject of the classic 50, it is a sweet amp, and will suit you well. An alternative could be the Laney VC series, namely the VC30, which is similar to the classic 30/50, though I am of the opinion that the clean channel is slightly better.

To the guy talking about his solid-state Peavey, it is clear you are out of the loop as far as amps go. I don't want to scare anyone off, so don't take this the wrong way, but be careful when posting on the forum on a subject on which you are ill-informed, you can give someone the wrong impression and they could end up throwing their money at a dead-end.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
FYI - paisley can get tonelab st for $199 on net. But do they still need amp for live performance? If they just need to get amp, or just improve amp, that would be a great way to do it. If so, any decent amp even a SS will sound GREAT with that. Still I think small tube amp cranked through decent cab or with pedals will be fat sounding. I'm would think the PV would be very synthetic sounding, but then, I'm old, and I'm unfamiliar with the new PV's.
Last edited by RickNPHX at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by RickNPHX
FYI - paisley can get tonelab st for $199 on net. But do they still need amp for live performance. If so, any decent amp even a SS will sound GREAT with that.

Just stop please.

He is asking about an amp and you sugest he buy a MFX pedal that you are not familiar with enough to know if it needs an amp or not?

Yes a MFX can sound good with a SS amp, but please keep on topic
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ever since I've gotten my tube amp running it's given me no fuss whatsoever. I've dropped it a couple times, forgotten to use the standby switch a few times and forgot to plug it in to my speakers for about 5 seconds. A tube amp is as reliable as you could need.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
No, I'm asking do they have an amp that they need improve sound of, and therefore is replacing, or are they without amp. My question needed to be more clear. Of course, the tonelab can be used through amp or in-line to recording stuff. Is the PV you are recommending to them a Tube amp? I strongly recommend a tube amp - preferably with a cab or cab added later. - R
I can't picture myself EVER going back to a solid state with the one exception of a VOX valvetronix of some kind. But Valvetronix are tricky to manage.
Last edited by RickNPHX at Mar 26, 2013,
Quote by RickNPHX
No, I'm asking do they have an amp that they need improve sound of, and therefore is replacing, or are they without amp. My question needed to be more clear. Of course, the tonelab can be used through amp or in-line to recording stuff. Is the PV you are recommending to them a Tube amp? I strongly recommend a tube amp - preferably with a cab or cab added later. - R

The Peavey classic 30/50 is tube.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Here is just some stuff I found in the Toronto area.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/3672738624.html Valveking (get a better speaker)
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/yrk/msd/3695599065.html Vox AD50VT
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/3697350551.html Line6 Flextone
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/msg/3678450313.html Vox Night Train
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/oak/msg/3698795252.html Kustom Defender

Traynor would be another great amp for you. Specifically a YCV50 or YCV40

like this one
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/3647040948.html

Oh well, just more stuff.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 14, 2013,
I'm not out of the loop on the amps ... I didn't recognize the music type (Indie/shoegaze and rock). I'm a little surprised it's not heavy overdrive/distortion etc. I pointed out PV is a very good amp. I just caution him not to go for SS. Tube is definitely the way to go. I'll have to imrove my com skills. Sorry 'bout that. - R
Hard to go past a Vyper tube for what you are playing. If you are in the US though, I'd probably try to find a big 'ol Fender tube amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by RickNPHX
I'm not out of the loop on the amps ... I didn't recognize the music type (Indie/shoegaze and rock). I'm a little surprised it's not heavy overdrive/distortion etc. I pointed out PV is a very good amp. I just caution him not to go for SS. Tube is definitely the way to go. I'll have to imrove my com skills. Sorry 'bout that. - R

I'm sorry it appeared that way when you referenced peaveys and said they weren't good for modern rock or metal, which is just not true given such models as the XXX, 5150, JSX, Ultra, and so forth. I understand communicating what you mean in a text post can be difficult sometimes though.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Okay, update: I picked up a decent 30 watt amp at a thrift store by luck, now I'm not in a rush to get an amp soon. I'm now looking at the vox ac30 212, any other suggestions?
Page 1 of 2