GuerillaGorilla
651 IQ
Hey, so recently I've realized that my distorted tone just isn't up to par. It sounds pretty muddy with a lot of "fizz" (if that makes sense), making it hard to hear faster riffs and chords involving more than just your basic power chords (i.e. 7th chords, even harmonies like root+third can be hard to hear). Right now my gear is:

Ibanez RG2EX1 w/ Seymour-Duncan SH-5 in the bridge and a Seymour-Duncan Jazz Model in the neck
Vox VT30
Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion for my distortion

How can I fix this? Is there a better pedal for distortion, or should I just be saving up money till I can afford one of the cheaper tube amps instead of using a modeling amp? Or is my guitar the problem? Or do I just not have my EQ set up properly (I've tried messing with the amp, pedal, even tried throwing in a Danelectro Fish 'n Chips EQ to no avail).

Thanks for any help you guys can give, I have no idea how to get more clarity from my tone at this point.
Kyleisthename
1,583 IQ
Ditch the pedal and get yourself a used 5150 and a noise gate.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
I would use the Vox amp sims over that pedal anyday
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
GuerillaGorilla
651 IQ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Thanks, it's been a while since I posted here. Budget is around $500, but I'm more just trying to plan ahead for the future. Genre is metal obviously, I'm okay with going used. I just do home recording for now. The city I'm in is Harrisonburg, VA. Current gear is in the original post.
Last edited by GuerillaGorilla at Mar 26, 2013,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
What type of Metal? That covers a huge aray of sounds
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
GuerillaGorilla
651 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
What type of Metal? That covers a huge aray of sounds

True, sorry. I'm aiming for a modern metal tone. So like Lamb of God or prog like Periphery.
Deadpool_25
1,596 IQ
Grab a 6505+ 1x12 and add a tubescreamer type pedal later. Done.

Didn't check your CL. Might be some good options on there too...someone less lazy than I am will post that though...I'm sick of typing now...
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Mar 26, 2013,
l3p4rd
ponx
259 IQ
Quote by Deadpool_25
Grab a 6505+ 1x12 and add a tubescreamer type pedal later. Done.

Didn't check your CL. Might be some good options on there too...someone less lazy than I am will post that though...I'm sick of typing now...

This.

There should just be a big sub heading on this forum that says "if you play modern tight metal on a budget, buy this amp"

I don't even play metal and I have one.

Sell that pedal, just use the vox's onboard for now probably.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Last edited by l3p4rd at Mar 26, 2013,
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Yeah, look on used.guitarcenter.com (best prices typically) for a used 5150 212, failing that grab a 6505+ 112, you should have enough cash left for some pedals like an OD, EQ, and noise suppressor, which are favorites with these amps, though you may not feel the need for them (I dig a speaker swap on my 112 and I think it sounds great without those things)
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
+1 to 6506+112

also the Vypyr 60

Here is something else interesting if you can sell off some stuff and increase your budget a bit. It is a Mesa DC3 for $650. I've never played one but I think it might be good for LOG and such.

http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/msg/3663428795.html

Also - this particular ad could be a scam and I have no idea where it is physically but it popped up on your local CL as well
http://winchester.craigslist.org/msg/3606549630.html
poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos
838 IQ
I'm in Staunton, about 30 minutes from the 'burg. I've been keeping an eye on CL for a while now and that Mesa is a rare find around here. CL usually just has starter crap people are trying to unload.
AndyGray
UG Addict
1,267 IQ
Quote by GuerillaGorilla
Hsaving up money till I can afford one of the cheaper tube amps

Yes. Buy a used Valveking & a tube screamer. You'll never regret it.
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.
6,559 IQ
Quote by AndyGray
Yes. Buy a used Valveking & a tube screamer. You'll never regret it.

Why get a Valveking when he has the option of the 6505+ 112?

The 6505 is better in every way when it comes to metal.
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I regretted buying mine

I love my VK100 though I bought it used. It has JJs in the preamp and Rubys in the power amp. Admittedly it might be modded I haven't opened it up yet
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
OurRequiem
1,804 IQ
well if you sold your amp and the pedal you'd have a couple extra 100 dollars to add onto your 500...i would'nt get a VK100 or a mesa recto, personal preference there. The 6505 isnt a bad choice but the speakers they come with are garbage. a tube vypr combo is'nt bad, infact i use a solid state vypr for practicing.

go get a used bugera 100 watt 333xl, 6262, or trirec off ebay you'll end up paying around 400 for a head then pick up a cab, what i'd do is just buy a shitty cheap 412 cab for the moment and then save up a little more and grab something loaded with v30's. Ive got my eyes on a carvin legacy cab right now, or a blue voodoo, have'nt decided. But the bugera will not disappoint, it'll blow your vox away, and it stands up to all the 1000+ dollar high gain amps. how do i know? i have one.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Reddaz
502 IQ
Blackstars are pretty reliable with a really good range of metal tones if you can find any second hand, although being a fairly new brand people are holding on to them. I wouldn't bother with a Mesa/Boogie, I've found them a disappointment without £5000 racks!

If you're swinging more to a Periphery tone than an LoG one then a decent Macbook might be a wiser investment!
The Neighbor of the Beast
930 IQ
Are you using the distortion pedal with your amp on a clean setting?
GuerillaGorilla
651 IQ
Woah, surprised this thread is still active, I'll keep in mind those other amp options! And yeah 667, I'm using the pedal on a clean channel.

Something I realized, though, I live in an apartment so I don't think I could get the full benefit of these amps since I've heard you have to crank them pretty loud to get the proper tone. Then Reddaz's suggestion/joke got me thinking, would it be more cost-efficient just to go for a POD or modelling software or something similar? And would I still be able to use my existing pedalboard with that route?
Last edited by GuerillaGorilla at Mar 27, 2013,
The Neighbor of the Beast
930 IQ
Quote by GuerillaGorilla
Woah, surprised this thread is still active, I'll keep in mind those other amp options! And yeah 667, I'm using the pedal on a clean channel.

Something I realized, though, I live in an apartment so I don't think I could get the full benefit of these amps since I've heard you have to crank them pretty loud to get the proper tone. Then Reddaz's suggestion/joke got me thinking, would it be more cost-efficient just to go for a POD or modelling software or something like ? And would I still be able to use my existing pedalboard with that route?

If u have an iOS device grab the Peavey Ampkit dongle (they go for $15) and download the Peavey Amkit software. It's awesome. Also get the IK Multimedia iRig app too to eval, but IMO, Peavey's app is better.

That's all y need besides headphone or speakers. I use a mini PA.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B205D-Active-PA-Monitor-Speaker-106063415-i1504243.gc
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie
763 IQ
Check out a "Box of Metal" pedal by Zvex. That should get you going in the right direction.
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork
4,770 IQ
Pod HD500 isn't a bad choice for your situation. They sound incredibly good for the price, any modeling platforms past their price point and you start getting diminishing returns.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Bladed-Vaults
Broceidon king of Brocean
980 IQ
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-DIAMOND-ASSASSIN-22W-HEAD--451-108792078-i3040466.gc

^that.... and a used avatar 1x12 or 2x12. fits in your budget...

that amps a one trick pony but she murders small children. and at 22w your in perfect range for home recording... it sounds reallllly good at bedroom volume for a tube amp.

I owned one before i got into big huge stage heads. and I regret selling it. big time

if not sound like every other dude and get the 6505combo tried and true..... but same as all others
GuerillaGorilla
651 IQ
Hey, so sorry to bring this thread back up again, but after doing some more research on getting bedroom level tones I found my options pretty much boil down to a POD HD500 (or something similar) or a preamp.

I got a chance to try out a POD at a Guitar Center, and while I really liked the clean tones the POD HD was able to give, I wasn't a fan of the distortion, it sounded too muddy and fizzy (though that could've been due to the amp it was hooked up to, I'd love to get input from anyone with more experience with the POD HD).

I know nothing about preamps, but judging from the YouTube videos I've seen so far I really like what they can do, can anyone offer more insight into them? Like I really liked the tone I heard from the AMT Electronics SS20 and I've heard the Marshall JMP-1 is good (but discontinued).
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
The POD HD are really good, probably the best affordable modeling unit there is.

I have no experience with the AMT, but the JMP-1 is pretty awesome pre-amp, pretty much any marshal sound from the JMT to the JCM2000 and then some in it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
hatchet_job
337 IQ
Quote by 667
If u have an iOS device grab the Peavey Ampkit dongle (they go for $15) and download the Peavey Amkit software. It's awesome. Also get the IK Multimedia iRig app too to eval, but IMO, Peavey's app is better.

That's all y need besides headphone or speakers. I use a mini PA.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B205D-Active-PA-Monitor-Speaker-106063415-i1504243.gc

That is extremely interesting to me. I have Peavey Ampkit Link, it stopped working. But, I am going to pick up the NEW Peavey Ampkit Link HD. The thing I have been struggling with is the output. I HATE headphones, and I have used computer speakers, and the AUX input on my amps, anything I can try. Now I have my eye on the new iLoud 40 watt speaker made by the folks that produce iRig and Amplitube. You can use just about any app with these IOS guitar interfaces. But anyway, the iLoud is $300! http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/cat-view.php?C=speakers How do you like using the Behringer? How is the volume? How do you connect the Ampkit Ling? CD inputs to 1/8" adapter? Looks pretty promising.
Last edited by hatchet_job at Apr 7, 2013,