I'd been looking for an amp with great versatility and I found one in the Dual Rec Tremoverb. However, I wasn't quite satisfied yet so I kept looking. I picked up an EVH 5150 50w head and a pair of 1x12 cabs.

This amp is amazing. The clean channel is Fendery, the rhythm channel is pure sex, and the lead channel is beast. There is way more gain on tap than is needed, especially on the lead channel. For now I'm keeping it dialed pretty well back on both channels.

All channels clean up quite well with the guitar's volume knob. Tone-wise, I don't think this amp is lacking anything really. It can go from jazzy cleans, to chugga-chugga with no problem at all. It can also do a sweet just-broken up bluesy tone, Texas blues, and classic rock with ease. Again, I don't think there's any genre it couldn't pull off at least well, and could do most VERY well IMO. The clean channel also takes distortions and ODs very well. However, there's not much need for that since the other two channels have such good sounding gain, but to each their own.

It has quite a few features I really like. The pedal is simple and solid; it switches channels more seamlessly than I've ever seen on any amp. There's a headphone jack (haven't needed that yet), and a preamp out which could come in handy for a wet/dry rig I guess...may try that with the Tremoverb at some point. The EVH is also controllable via MIDI and at first I didn't realize just how awesome that would be.

You see the pedals in the pic, but the only things connected to the EVH right now are the M13 and the M5. I swear Line 6 gets a crap reputation in large part because of the Spider amps, but these units are incredible. The more I use them, the more I love them. Super easy to use and the effects are excellent. Even the distortions, the weakest of the M-effects, are actually quite good. For example, the Screamer does a damn good job tightening the rhythm and lead channels up well just like you'd expect it to. And because of the M13's design, I can have multiple screamers with different settings ready to go if I want. And that's just the tiniest tip of the iceberg.

The one drawback of the EVH is the very noticeable volume jump when you switch between the clean and rhythm channels. If you've read about it before, I promise it's not been exaggerated. However, with my M13/M5 setup I completely eliminated this problem.

The M13 is my "master" controller. When I select a scene (preset) on the M13, it changes to the appropriate amp channel and also engages a preset on the M5. Whenever I select a scene that uses the clean channel, the M5 comes on with a 6-band EQ set to +6.3 db across the board. When I select a rhythm or lead channel preset, the M5 switches to something else (or off depending on what I want).

The setup (4CM btw) pretty much allows me to have any pedal configuration I want, with the limitation being I can only use 5 pedals at one time (4 on the M13, and 1 on the M5). That's not much of a limitation though...rarely would I ever need more than that at once. If I do though, I have a couple other pedals I could toss in the mix if I needed. Also, I can set each scene so that I can choose how many pedals are in front of the amp and how many in the loop. There's also a gate on the M13 that is set per scene and I find it pretty effective. The same gate exists in the M5.

I wanted versatility and simplicity. Well, the rig is easy to use...much easier than the HD500 was. More importantly the versatility is OFF THE F***ING CHARTS!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. I got my NAD thread up before Zucky who received his amp before me. He's a damn slacker.
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Mar 26, 2013,
Cool man HNAD.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

What the shitting ****. I was literally thinking about this exact setup for my next rig today while eating lunch.

Good choice man.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
How good a clean sound are you getting at drummer levels? I've always found that 50W is pushing the friendship when it comes to cleans if your drummer is bigger than a spider monkey.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys.

Eppi, pull the trigger!

Cath, I'm not gigging (which makes that gear stockpile more than a little overkill) so I can't answer that very well, but I'll crank it up a bit to find out how loud it can get and stay clean.

EDIT: Just checked. It gets plenty loud clean on its own, but with the EQ in the loop it gets VERY loud. Still no drummer though so...
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Mar 26, 2013,
Quote by Ippon
Congrats!

Just curious, why not the 100W?

Thanks. Size, price, headphone jack, suitability for playing solo at home...And it's definitely capable of gig volumes.
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Very nice! Enjoy!

Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Sweet! I love the set-up.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
In case anyone is curious about the connections (which were probably the most complicated part of the whole rig lol):

Guitar > M13 input
M13 FX send > EVH input
EVH FX send > M13 FX return
M13 output > M5 input
M5 output > EVH FX return (so M5 is always last in FX loop)

M13 MIDI out > M-Audio 2x2 input A
M-Audio output A > EVH MIDI in
M-Audio output B > M5 MIDI in

Since the M5 is last in the loop, it's set as a reverb unless I'm using the clean channel of the amp, in which case it's the 6-band EQ and the M13 has the reverb.
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Most amps sound really loud until you put them next to a drummer. Drums are friggin loud.

HNAD all the same.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

HNGD!

Quote by Cathbard
Most amps sound really loud until you put them next to a drummer. Drums are friggin loud.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard

HNAD all the same.

Understatement of the year right here.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Offworld92

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
You are certainly giving me GAS. As soon as I can sell a few more things I'll be picking up one of these guys. Hopefully withing the next month or so.

Also, you've got my ideal rig with the Silverburst LP coming out of a 5150iii.

Not sure if I missed it in your post but how does it play at low volumes? I'm in an apartment but I don't know how much I'd want to use a headphone jack.

One more thing, for getting white. Not that black looks bad or anything.
Thanks all!

You might be right Cath. I dunno. I've been to bar gigs where it was just a little Fender combo, drums, and bass and the guitar was fine in the mix. That's blues though. Might be different with heavier stuff where drummers tend to be more aggressive. If I ever find myself having issues I'd run both amps or maybe even grab another EVH head.

Zilat, it does really well at low volumes. One of the reasons I got it was a YouTube video. Look up "5150 Apartment" and you should find it.

Quote by Offworld92

Yessss!!
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Very nice bro! Haven't explored the midi link with my rig yet but I'm glad you explained it...I've got more tinkering to do! I agree the 5153 and M13 combo is a great rig.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by RStrat
Nice amp.

What model is that guitar on the left?

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst. 2011 I think...whatever the year is before they started making them with coil tapping. It's nice. I keep it tuned to drop-D. The pickup selector switch needs replaced though...sometimes it acts a bit wonky.

Quote by dkunick
Very nice bro! Haven't explored the midi link with my rig yet but I'm glad you explained it...I've got more tinkering to do! I agree the 5153 and M13 combo is a great rig.

Thanks. The MIDI control is very cool. I almost want to do a video because it's so powerful...but that'd be work...and playing some stuff in public...neither of those is appealing.
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Quote by Deadpool_25
Thanks all!

You might be right Cath. I dunno. I've been to bar gigs where it was just a little Fender combo, drums, and bass and the guitar was fine in the mix. That's blues though. Might be different with heavier stuff where drummers tend to be more aggressive. If I ever find myself having issues I'd run both amps or maybe even grab another EVH head.
It only matters for cleans with a loud drummer. I'm currently having problems getting a good clean sound with a 60W halfstack atm because the drummer is so loud. Distorted sounds are fine but for cleans I'm seriously considering running my 100W JCM900 as well for the cleans. PITA because there's only about two songs in the set that need good cleans - but hey, what are ya gonna do?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It only matters for cleans with a loud drummer. I'm currently having problems getting a good clean sound with a 60W halfstack atm because the drummer is so loud. Distorted sounds are fine but for cleans I'm seriously considering running my 100W JCM900 as well for the cleans. PITA because there's only about two songs in the set that need good cleans - but hey, what are ya gonna do?

What you need is a new amp.
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Like I said, it's just two songs that are an issue, otherwise my sound is great. I'm just gonna have to drag along a second amp I think. I was probably gonna use the JCM900 as a feedback boost anyway. I'll just have to adjust how I do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 26, 2013,
Couldn't just put an EQ or EP Booster in loop or something? It'd be a shame if you strained your back. Lift with your legs, Cath. Lift with your legs.
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

The problem is a simple matter of volume. I have to have the volume on the clean channel up too high on the 60W'er to get good cleans. The drummer is quite loud.
I use a trolley, man. I didn't start gigging yesterday.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Trolley??? Wtflazy!

Seriously though...

What you need is a new amp. I suggest either the Marshall MG series or a Line 6 Spider. That'll definitely solve any issues. You know...play...hate tone...quit.
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

A 100W version of my Abbey would be sweet though. They never come up for sale. I have a search for one permanently running on ebay that should email me when one pops up. Almost three years and still not a single hit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Wow, that sucks. Hope you find one sooner rather than later....though I guess it's already "later" for you.

Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

I'm running KT66's in my Abbey atm but a pair of 6L6's just arrived in the post. They may help but if they don't I'll just run a second amp. My rig is out at the farm where we rehearse atm so I'll have to wait until Friday to give them a try.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Waiting sucks. I have no patience at all.
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

I saw an Abbey on Gumtree a while back, pretty sure. No idea about wattage or model of anything. Just remember recognising the name.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by jmaguire
I saw an Abbey on Gumtree a while back, pretty sure. No idea about wattage or model of anything. Just remember recognising the name.
Worth owning. Hand built down in Seaford. He even wound his own transformers. The Harmonic 2 like mine is a 3 channel beast. Channel 3 is Mesa Mark-like, the other two sorta AC30-like but with bigger glass.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Worth owning. Hand built down in Seaford. He even wound his own transformers. The Harmonic 2 like mine is a 3 channel beast. Channel 3 is Mesa Mark-like, the other two sorta AC30-like but with bigger glass.

Sweet. I might see if I can dig it up again.
[404]Signature not found