Page 1 of 6
To be honest, I'm completely baffled at what's going on in the world of video gaming. A few of the more recent examples that I've come across:

- Developers spit out the same "Call Of Duty" every year, but it still sells like hot cakes. "Black Ops II" was the best selling game of 2012 despite bucketfuls of negative and "eh" reviews.

- EA has been actively promoting games with an online or multiplayer component even if the game was supposed to only have a single player aspect. "Spec Ops: The Line" was the most recent example for me (but with 2K Games). The developers loathed the multiplayer because they didn't even want it. I think "Diablo III" had something similar where you could only play single player with an internet connection.

- With "Medal Of Honor" indefinitely out of the rotation, Battlefield has now become a yearly game, further alienating players who wanted something different from "Call Of Duty." That's disregarding that the franchise, starting with "Battlefield 3," went from 'Battlefield = PC, Bad Company = console' to 'Just stick everything on both.'

- People are already stating how the PS4 will be "years ahead" of PC gaming.

I know the common themes seem to be "Call Of Duty," "EA," and "first-person shooters," but this is just the recent stuff for me. I also just got done with the first two "Mass Effect" games and am in love, but I still remember when the third game came out. The reviews for the game's ending were the worst (the worst) I've ever heard.

I'll still play the third "Mass Effect," but share your pain, be you PC gamers or console enthusiasts. All opinions are welcome!
Heisenberg might have been here

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
Quote by jhalterman
Developers spit out the same "Call Of Duty" every year, but it still sells like hot cakes.
If people like it, developers will make it.

I don't see how it's their fault.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you

aha

when games that weren't Madden suddenly became cool for the general public (ie, not nerds), like Halo and COD, the market for games grew exponentially centered around a demographic who enjoyed games like this, thereby increasing demand for these games

everything leads back to my original post
Appealing to the lowest common denominator + Forever playing it safe with AAA titles

How long's it been since a guy invented pokemon? Nowadays it's everybody in a circle eating each other's turds by taking turns releasing clones of each other's games.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jetfuel495
not gonna read all that but the problem was when videogaming became a thing for everybody and not just nerds

just my opinion

That's a dead on analysis, it just sucks that most people who primarily play the CoDs, Halos, and Maddens rarely branch out into games with any depth
cba to read but yeah, making the same shit over and over again is what sells, so devs will do it, don't make CoD the villain, because Nintendo have been doing it with mario and zelda for much longer
Quote by Ichikurosaki
, don't make CoD the villain, because Nintendo have been doing it with mario and zelda for much longer

Zelda retell the same story each time, with similar elements every time, but there is usually innovations in the gameplay and notable stylistic changes between games, unlike with CoD games. Mario games are guilty too though.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by behind_you

It's not their fault. The public just needs to grow some taste

What is sucky is the fact that games are getting cut up more often, so you buy 70% of the game on disk and then have to buy another 30$ of DLC to get the rest. That's just greed.
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
This isn't a direct response to the OP, just my general thoughts and ramblings.

I think there are just as many original IPs and innovative sequels as ever. The popular stuff just gets more press so it seems like it's corrupting and destroying the industry. I think it's blown out of proportion.

Seriously. If you think the gaming industry is dying and that games are going downhill and getting stale, you're not looking hard enough or you have very specific taste. Tons of great IPs and innovative sequels have come out in the last few years especially if we're including indie games (and I don't see why we wouldn't be).

If we're talking about specific franchises, however, I'd possibly agree there (depending on the franchise), but I think the video game industry in general is fine. The degenerating franchises and over-saturation of certain genres are just par for the course, the same as music and movies and the like.

That's how I feel, anyway.

I could see a few arguments against my points, though, so I'm not exactly claiming what I'm saying is gospel or anything like that. For example, you could say that the overwhelming popularity and mass revenue currently surrounding FPS games like COD could be seen as a reward for rehashing tired concepts and failing to branch out, causing developers to be inspired to do the same and hurt the industry. Those developers probably never really cared about their games in the first place though, so fuck 'em.
Last edited by Shawn1379 at Mar 26, 2013,
You vote with your money. If more people stopped buying games like COD then developers would be forced to rethink their strategy and change the game in order to appease the gamers out there. Unfortunately every kid buys the latest COD no matter how shit it is, and because of this they will continue to release a new 'improved' version every year. Not your fault OP, but hey what can you do.

Having said that, i'm sure there a plenty of great games out there not in the 'mainstream' or whatever, just like music.
Sexism. Oh lawdy, the sexism.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by jetfuel495
not gonna read all that but the problem was when videogaming became a thing for everybody and not just nerds

just my opinion

This. I remember World of Warcraft for example. the Orginial and The burning crusade were a real challenge, only the best of gamers/teams/guilds could actually complete it all.
After that everything got easy because it became so mainstream and so many noobs start playing it, and I just didn't bother with it anymore.

Same is happening with League of Legends.

I am guilty too, I played CoD 4 while I'm terrible at it, all the CoD's after that became easier (multiplayer + singleplayer)
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Appealing to the lowest common denominator + Forever playing it safe with AAA titles

How long's it been since a guy invented pokemon? Nowadays it's everybody in a circle eating each other's turds by taking turns releasing clones of each other's games.

Nowadays? It's been like that forev. Even, and especially during the arcade era.

Whaddupp Giana sisters
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Cianyx
Nowadays? It's been like that forev. Even, and especially during the arcade era.

This.

There were games like Bram Stoker's Dracula and Astayanax being a poor man's Castlevania a couple decades ago, but no one was saying, "oh, man, have you seen all these Castlevania clones? The industry is dying!," or if people were saying that they were obviously wrong.

Hell, even Zelda 2 seemingly borrowed elements from Castlevania (I'm not entirely sure if it was actually a direct result of Castlevania or just a coincidence, though), so there were already franchises changing core elements and jumping on what seemed popular at the time even way back in the day. It's nothing new.
It's the same in every industry, once something starts to sell, become 'cool' and pick up a market the industry will keep churning them out. The people that buy CoD every year are the same people going to see every new Transformers film. There's nothing we can do about it, just ignore the big stuff and find the quality stuff, there's still plenty of it.
well some games are still good and fresh if you ask me and some prety old games are still in action like starcraf or Red Alert 2(i still play from time to time, especially starcraft is still active on battlenet).New games: I hate the CoD franchise too i played 1st and 2nd witch was ww2 and was cool then they were reapeatitive and some gamers are just action junkies and FIFA franchise WTF! is this shit every year the same and you ask people how can you play this every year and they always answer like" the graphics is awsome".You have some cool fresh games nowdays i mean BioShock its preety cool and the 3rd its going to be really awsome if you ask me with original story as always(alright the second wasnt really original, just a sequel) and Assassin creed franchise its kind of cool they always introduce something new in each one and new FarCry 3 is fkin great epic game with nice acting and just about everything
Last edited by Animal_Farm at Mar 26, 2013,
I am personally feeling discontent with game reviewers, most of them gave Dead Space 3 and the latest DMC game high ratings while I believe these games didn't deserve it, even remotely.
Prime examples of what is going wrong these days are Aliens: Colonial Marines, and FIFA 13.

Basically, as technology advances it becomes more complex to make a game at the forefront of that technology, and requires more people on the team to make a game as well as longer development times. Because developers like EA are heavily profit-driven and want to churn out more and more money-earners, they are more concerned about getting the product out ASAP than releasing a product that is innovative or very good.

As a result, we get stuff like FIFA 13 (Career Mode is extremely frustrating because there are so many bugs that occur way too often [invisible players when subbed on; invisible ball; freezing on pause menu; crashing in cut sequences... the list goes on] and EA have done absolutely nothing about it, and barely even acknowledged it [check out the FIFA forums, particularly the bugs section, and BBC Watchdog even had them on national tv about it and the problems still aren't fixed).

Then there's Aliens: Colonial Marines... announced years and years ago, but put on the backburner. Then they decided they would actually make the game, and released some screenshots of alleged in-game footage that looked amazing, and all the magazine 'previews' suggested it was going to be great. It got delayed, and nobody knew why, and eventually it came out this Feb... no reviews came out until after the game was released and a lot of people (myself included) are very annoyed they paid for a game that is so terrible... there are graphical glitches [players falling 'into' objects, unable to see anything and then dying], the graphics themselves are terrible [seriously, they're like PS2 graphics in places] and there are visible tears in the screen as well as jagged edges everywhere, the physics engine is really jerky and the aliens move awkwardly, and there has been a lot of speculation that the developers actually paid magazines to stay quiet until after the game was released.

Put it this way, I'm not going to buy anything from any major developer now until at least a week or so after the release, because I'm not risking what happened with FIFA or A:CM.

Quote by Aralingh
I am personally feeling discontent with game reviewers, most of them gave Dead Space 3 and the latest DMC game high ratings while I believe these games didn't deserve it, even remotely.

Sometimes they're paid by developers to give better scores, often in the form of developers paying premium prices to put adverts in there or to pay for previews etc., and other times (with the bigger games) they're pandering to the developers so they get review copies on-time for future games, as the developer may choose to leave out a magazine that reviews a game badly, so it can't put out a bad review ahead of launch if other magazines are giving it decent scores.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Sometimes they're paid by developers to give better scores, often in the form of developers paying premium prices to put adverts in there or to pay for previews etc., and other times (with the bigger games) they're pandering to the developers so they get review copies on-time for future games, as the developer may choose to leave out a magazine that reviews a game badly, so it can't put out a bad review ahead of launch if other magazines are giving it decent scores.

Well, that is a problem for me. In the past I could base my decision on whether or not I get a game, based on reviews, similarly as I do with movies. However, now it seems that you just have to get it yourself and then evaluate whether or not it was worth it.

What's the point of reviewing if it's biased? Might as well abolish the review industry.
Quote by Aralingh
Well, that is a problem for me. In the past I could base my decision on whether or not I get a game, based on reviews, similarly as I do with movies. However, now it seems that you just have to get it yourself and then evaluate whether or not it was worth it.

What's the point of reviewing if it's biased? Might as well abolish the review industry.

I know, and I completely agree with you, but the 'review industry' exists to sell itself to the general public and if they can increase their sales by having the reviews of the big games, they aren't so bothered if it means they have to bend their standards a little in order to ensure they keep getting those big reviews ahead of release that will increase their sales further. Obviously there's some who refuse to do so, and some who do so but hate doing it, but the majority goes by what sells.

It's the same with magazines, and I can actually speak from first hand experience on this one, but I won't mention names for obvious reasons. Many of the top magazines will be more favourable when reviewing your music if you spend a little money with them (paying forradverts, paying for a spot in their 'news' or 'upcoming' section, etc.) unless you're a band big enough for them to benefit more from reviewing you than you benefitting from them exclusively.

I mean, for small bands it can mean a lot to get a decent review in a big name magazine - the magazines know this, and there's an abundance of bands striving to make it big, so they have the opportunity to make some money from this and they often do. It's probably been like it for decades, I mean radio stations have been paid to play singles many times a day by the major labels for a very long time so there's a higher chance somebody will hear the song a few times and get it stuck in their head. Ask any radio presenter you can contact and they'll tell you that on the 'drivetime' slots they don't get any choice on the playlist, or maybe one track per hour - the rest is pre-picked by the station based on who wants their music to get heard the most.

There's also that recent article on the front page of UG about bands being uncovered paying for companies to use fake accounts and proxies to give their FB pages thousands of likes, or to give thousands of views to YouTube videos, so they appear more popular to venues, promoters, labels and even just so potential fans see that a band is getting big (even if that's actually not true) and are tempted to jump on the bandwagon (a lot of the music industry sells based on what is 'cool' to like, particularly amongst kids who mostly all want to be the cool ones at school/amongst friends).

Unfortunately, knowing about it is not enough to change the rest of the world buying into it, and that's one of the downsides of large societies - the majority of people are too ignorant or cowardly to make their own decisions on a lot of things, and are content with following the crowd to keep up with their neighbours/friends etc.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
It's at an all time low with greed at an all time high.

Day 1 DLC.
Always Online.
Xbox Live.

It's bad enough that I shell out $60 for a video game, but I also need to pay for Xbox Live to utilize part of a game I already own?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Games like Call Of Duty and Fifa have all been cash-ins in recent years. EA and Activision release a yearly, half-assed rehashed game because they know idiots will keep buying them.

Ubisoft, are at the moment, one of only 2 big name companies producing some good games among the sea of shit, second being Square Enix. Far Cry 3 was sick and the upcoming Splinter Cell: Blacklist looks like its going back to roots. Not to mention how f***ing awesome Watch Dogs looks. Square Enix made the highly enjoyable Sleeping Dogs and the new Tomb Raider which was very well made (and zomg hair physics on PC).

Some of the best releases are by the smaller companies. The newly released BioShock: Infinite is easily the best game this year so far (and I previously felt that about Tomb Raider)
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
I buy games that are fun. Same as I watch movies that are good or listen to music that is good. I don't like call of duty, it is boring.
That is my opinion.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I know, and I completely agree with you, but the 'review industry' exists to sell itself to the general public and if they can increase their sales by having the reviews of the big games, they aren't so bothered if it means they have to bend their standards a little in order to ensure they keep getting those big reviews ahead of release that will increase their sales further. Obviously there's some who refuse to do so, and some who do so but hate doing it, but the majority goes by what sells.

It's the same with magazines, and I can actually speak from first hand experience on this one, but I won't mention names for obvious reasons. Many of the top magazines will be more favourable when reviewing your music if you spend a little money with them (paying forradverts, paying for a spot in their 'news' or 'upcoming' section, etc.) unless you're a band big enough for them to benefit more from reviewing you than you benefitting from them exclusively.

I mean, for small bands it can mean a lot to get a decent review in a big name magazine - the magazines know this, and there's an abundance of bands striving to make it big, so they have the opportunity to make some money from this and they often do. It's probably been like it for decades, I mean radio stations have been paid to play singles many times a day by the major labels for a very long time so there's a higher chance somebody will hear the song a few times and get it stuck in their head. Ask any radio presenter you can contact and they'll tell you that on the 'drivetime' slots they don't get any choice on the playlist, or maybe one track per hour - the rest is pre-picked by the station based on who wants their music to get heard the most.

There's also that recent article on the front page of UG about bands being uncovered paying for companies to use fake accounts and proxies to give their FB pages thousands of likes, or to give thousands of views to YouTube videos, so they appear more popular to venues, promoters, labels and even just so potential fans see that a band is getting big (even if that's actually not true) and are tempted to jump on the bandwagon (a lot of the music industry sells based on what is 'cool' to like, particularly amongst kids who mostly all want to be the cool ones at school/amongst friends).

Unfortunately, knowing about it is not enough to change the rest of the world buying into it, and that's one of the downsides of large societies - the majority of people are too ignorant or cowardly to make their own decisions on a lot of things, and are content with following the crowd to keep up with their neighbours/friends etc.

Everything you say is valid and I agree with. However, it seems to me that the movie industry doesn't much conform to the review bias so present within music and video game industry. Obviously a bad movie can be so well marketed that it will easily bring profit, however, reviewers aren't at all intimidated to go easy on them and thus retain their credibility.

May be it is due to the difference in market.
I'm still pissed that microsoft refuses to ban hackers even though I've shown them plenty of proof that I get harassed and have hackers with no life stalk me and play every game online I do, only to freeze my console. So basically I spent $60 on something I literally can not use. And if I do I risk my console breaking. And microsoft isn't doing shit.

I also hate how because of casual gamers who will buy any shit and praise it to death good games are few and far between. And all my favourite game series turn to utter shit (**** you maxis).

And this whole dlc thing. Back when there were expansion packs i didn't care because there were usually tons of changes, if not the game seeming like a completely new one. Now companies charge you for things that should have been included in the first place. What's even worse is most dlc isn't even downloadable content, it's already on the damn disk in the first place.
Last edited by Demiurge919 at Mar 26, 2013,
DLC is a big annoyance really. Expansions developed for the game afterwards are all well and good, but it's especially annoying when DLC has clearly been developed at the same time as the actual game, or even released immediately after.

If you had that material for the game, just release it with the game. Don't make people pay full price for a game, but cut off some of what you developed you can release it after and make them pay even more.
I'm starting to lose interest in the videogame industry, honestly. Pretty much all modern gaming, excluding indie gaming and classic gaming companies such as Nintendo, looks uninteresting to me.

Then again, like 80% of modern gaming is FPS's. Please, gaming companies, no more FPS's. For the love of God.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

#wolfie2017 #freegyros #gifsftw G7#9
DLC is a pain in the arse, DRM can **** right off, milked to death franchises are irritating. The most annoying thing for me though is games that are released and the first thing you need to do is patch the crap out of it. STOP RELEASING BROKEN CRAP AND FIXING IT LATER.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I'm starting to lose interest in the videogame industry, honestly. Pretty much all modern gaming, excluding indie gaming and classic gaming companies such as Nintendo, looks uninteresting to me.

Then again, like 80% of modern gaming is FPS's. Please, gaming companies, no more FPS's. For the love of God.

I have nothing against FPS's. It's "Modern Military" FPS's that need to go away.
'Call of Battlefield: Shoot the Mans 3' is old and tired. Like WWII FPS's became.

Other things I hate:

"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
                    - Dara O'Briain
                    Last edited by Sampy at Mar 26, 2013,
                    Quote by Demiurge919
                    And all my favourite game series turn to utter shit (**** you maxis).

A lot of your post I agree with but not this part. It's not like companies make a promise to satisfy your personal needs/wants in the future because you have bought their products in the past. Don't like it? Don't buy it anymore, but don't cry that they took something from you, either.
                    Last edited by Jyrgen at Mar 26, 2013,
                    There's been quite a few awesome games come out in the past couple years and there are some supposedly awesome games coming out in the next few years.

DMC(Wah wah, Dante is a bigger douche than ever, wah wah) Tomb Raider, Bastion, Transistor, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Starcraft 2, Resonance Of Fate, Fire Emblem, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Ni No Kuni, God Of War: Ascension, Remember Me, Heavy Rain, FTL, Borderlands 2, Awesomenauts, Don't Starve, League Of Legends, DOTA 2, Dead Space 3, Trine 2, Journey, Tokyo Jungle, Planetside 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Castle Crashers, and so on and so forth.

These are just off the top of my head. Shit like always online and ridiculous amounts of DLC are stupid, yes, but don't act like the gaming industry doesn't produce any good games. It's the equivalent of the dumbass rock and metalheads who don't think anything past 1994 is of any quality, yet I can name a plethora of amazing rock and metal bands from the past 10 years. Games got popular, just like music and movies, so now it's time to deal with the uninspired popular shit that comes with that.
                    The reason I greatly prefer classic[-oriented] gaming is because it's just more charming. Older games didn't necessarily have premade engines or shortcuts and developpers essentially had to figure out on their own how to make an element of their game work. Today, it's much easier to figure out how to program something and languages are much more liberal in what they can support. Naturally, this was bound to happen eventually.

However, seeing as I cannot judge a game merely on that, I prefer classic-oriented gaming altogether. While still charming in its own right, it seems like it gets old less fast. I got bored of playing Halo relatively fast (though it's a guilty pleasure from time to time). On the other hand, I can still play a Super Mario or Worms game and have a grand ol' time (and both are original concepts or have popularized their style of game), and every time I rediscover a classic game and/or series, I don't easily get bored of it.

Again, most modern games seem to be centered around "kill the opposing guys" (AC, CoD, GoW), which get old really fast. CoD has been boring as shit from the get-go. Metroid Prime is still awesome today. Why? Every new game brought something substantially new, and the gameplay from the get-go was atypical for an FPS (constantly getting upgrades, the morph ball, different types of enemies, puzzles, backtracking, etc). It's also worth noting that there were 3 parts to the Prime series. When it finally started growing stale, Nintendo went to a new venue.

In other words, some types of games age more gracefully than others. CoD was old from the start. There are other games however that remain similar to a past iteration yet so vastly different that it's almost like a new game.

Legend of Zelda is probably the best example for this. Not a single LoZ game is too similar to the previous one. Of course the stories in LoZ never fail to be breathtaking, the art style changes, the puzzles (the best part imo) are always original, and even the gameplay changes through the series (can anyone say Phantom Hourglass?). The thing Nintendo is great at isn't change or remaining static; rather it's a happy, uncanny middle. This is why it baffles me that people talk so much shit about Nintendo.

Puzzle games are the ones that age the slowest. You want an ageless game? Incorporate tons of puzzle elements to it. Puzzles lack in modern gaming (though I do recognize that they exist, just much less than they should).

Another thing is that originally, videogames seemed mostly oriented towards children. Growing up, I was raised on Super Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Pokemon (ironically, it's one of my favorite series), Kirby, Megaman, Castlevania, and generally "classic" series, all of which had their own charm.

Today, we have more adult-oriented gaming, which on its own isn't necessarily a bad thing, but games like CoD, Assassin's Creed, God of War take over the market, making it look like the industry changed so substantially that I don't feel like I belong to it anymore. Of course, this is only a personal peeve.

Most importantly, I think realism kinda ruins the fun for me. I play videogames as a form of escapism and actually appreciate the whole of a good game as a piece of art (let's not get into the art debate), and I just naturally prefer cutesy-ass games to photorealistic ones because I prefer my belief to be unsuspended. Modern gaming is too real and doesn't feel nostalgic. Rather, realistic games resemble interactive movies more than anything and don't have that "game" charm.

That being said, I don't want to generalize, but there are no modern games I can think of that sound enticing to me, personally.
                    Quote by Sampy
                    I have nothing against FPS's. It's "Modern Military" FPS's that need to go away.
                    'Call of Battlefield: Shoot the Mans 3' is old and tired. Like WWII FPS's became.
                    Generally speaking, I have no problem with FPS's either, but I'm tired of them. There are not enough RPGs, platformers, or puzzle games (or completely original games altogether).

I also have little to zero interest in Playstation in general, and always have.

For example, the only Playstation games I want/have yet to try are FF6, FF7 and Little Big Planet. The only memorable one I've played is Shadow of the Colossus, which decidedly is an awesome game. There are literally no other PS games I'm interested in. Same can be said about modern PC gaming, but I grew up playing a lot of computer games.
                    You are now using UG Black.
                    You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

#wolfie2017 #freegyros #gifsftw G7#9
                    Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Mar 26, 2013,
                    The real problem is that the publishers have too much power over the editors. They are the ones ruining games. CoD, Need for speed, guitar hero and now battlefield, etc... of course when people like something,,its ok to give them what they want, but don't make them pay for the same stuff all the time, improve it. All that DLC stufff is also a huge problem.

Actually no, the real problem is people are stupid...

Go ubisoft bethesda and all!
                    Quote by DarkLiquor
                    I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
                    Wake up people!
                    Quote by Wolfinator-x
                    The reason I greatly prefer classic[-oriented] gaming is because it's just more charming. Older games didn't necessarily have premade engines or shortcuts and developpers essentially had to figure out on their own how to make an element of their game work. Today, it's much easier to figure out how to program something and languages are much more liberal in what they can support. Naturally, this was bound to happen eventually.

However, seeing as I cannot judge a game merely on that, I prefer classic-oriented gaming altogether. While still charming in its own right, it seems like it gets old less fast. I got bored of playing Halo relatively fast (though it's a guilty pleasure from time to time). On the other hand, I can still play a Super Mario or Worms game and have a grand ol' time (and both are original concepts or have popularized their style of game), and every time I rediscover a classic game and/or series, I don't easily get bored of it.

Again, most modern games seem to be centered around "kill the opposing guys" (AC, CoD, GoW), which get old really fast. CoD has been boring as shit from the get-go. Metroid Prime is still awesome today. Why? Every new game brought something substantially new, and the gameplay from the get-go was atypical for an FPS (constantly getting upgrades, the morph ball, different types of enemies, puzzles, backtracking, etc). It's also worth noting that there were 3 parts to the Prime series. When it finally started growing stale, Nintendo went to a new venue.

In other words, some types of games age more gracefully than others. CoD was old from the start. There are other games however that remain similar to a past iteration yet so vastly different that it's almost like a new game.

Legend of Zelda is probably the best example for this. Not a single LoZ game is too similar to the previous one. Of course the stories in LoZ never fail to be breathtaking, the art style changes, the puzzles (the best part imo) are always original, and even the gameplay changes through the series (can anyone say Phantom Hourglass?). The thing Nintendo is great at isn't change or remaining static; rather it's a happy, uncanny middle. This is why it baffles me that people talk so much shit about Nintendo.

Puzzle games are the ones that age the slowest. You want an ageless game? Incorporate tons of puzzle elements to it. Puzzles lack in modern gaming (though I do recognize that they exist, just much less than they should).

Another thing is that originally, videogames seemed mostly oriented towards children. Growing up, I was raised on Super Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Pokemon (ironically, it's one of my favorite series), Kirby, Megaman, Castlevania, and generally "classic" series, all of which had their own charm.

Today, we have more adult-oriented gaming, which on its own isn't necessarily a bad thing, but games like CoD, Assassin's Creed, God of War take over the market, making it look like the industry changed so substantially that I don't feel like I belong to it anymore. Of course, this is only a personal peeve.

Most importantly, I think realism kinda ruins the fun for me. I play videogames as a form of escapism and actually appreciate the whole of a good game as a piece of art (let's not get into the art debate), and I just naturally prefer cutesy-ass games to photorealistic ones because I prefer my belief to be unsuspended. Modern gaming is too real and doesn't feel nostalgic. Rather, realistic games resemble interactive movies more than anything and don't have that "game" charm.

That being said, I don't want to generalize, but there are no modern games I can think of that sound enticing to me, personally.Generally speaking, I have no problem with FPS's either, but I'm tired of them. There are not enough RPGs, platformers, or puzzle games (or completely original games altogether).

I also have little to zero interest in Playstation in general, and always have.

For example, the only Playstation games I want/have yet to try are FF6, FF7 and Little Big Planet. The only memorable one I've played is Shadow of the Colossus, which decidedly is an awesome game. There are literally no other PS games I'm interested in. Same can be said about modern PC gaming, but I grew up playing a lot of computer games.

Damn, you're DEAD on with that.