I'm kinda having a bit of trouble deciding between the two. I like the higher gain on the 2000 better, but maybe a 800 with a OD would sound better, and I'm unsure about the cleans.
Well I'm assuming you mean the 2205 or something because a JCM 800 2203 or 2204 would be super, super different.

There are multichannel models. I actually like both amps but it depends on what you want. I think I'd honestly prefer the DSL to the multi channel JCM 800 models.

There really just isn't enough information to tell you much of anything useful.

What are you looking to play? Do you need a lot of versatility? And are you referring to a multichannel JCM 800 or a single channel?
The single channel JCM800, and I need some versatility. I play 80's rock and metal (Scorpions, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Metallica, etc.) and power metal, so I don't need too much gain, but need some.
I prefer the DSL for versitility, and it is a great PM amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
In non technical terms, most gearheads will tell you they like the 800 better. However, tone is subjective and if the 2000 makes your ears happier, then buy it. 2000s are great amplifiers as well.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
In non technical terms, most gearheads will tell you they like the 800 better. However, tone is subjective and if the 2000 makes your ears happier, then buy it. 2000s are great amplifiers as well.

The 800 is great but the 2000 is so much more flexible its not even funny.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
And the TSL is even more flexible, yet nobody touches it.

OP, Bon Jovi and Iron Maiden switched to DSLs and have stuck with them ever since. Of ocurse, back in the day everybody was using the 800s, but that was prettty much the only option back then. I think the fact that each of those bands mentioned has jumped either to the 2000s or to a different brand entirely should help you make your decision.

800s are great amps, but for metal and older hard rock they need to be pushed, tightened and turned up real loud. This isn't always practical and it's limiting. The 2000s can get more or less the same tone without additional devices and with the option of changing to something else if you fancy.

The only problem with the DSLs specifically is that playing that sort of music you'll probably want to use both of the OD modes, which can't be changed by footswitch. You can only change from the clean/plexi-style channel to the 800/900 style channel. The two OD modes can only be changed by walking over to the amp and pushing the button.
Not an issue if you find out you really only need one of the two modes. Huge problem if you end up using both.

The TSL splits the channels up. It's got a clean channel and an OD channel with 'crunch' and 'lead' modes, which can be changed by footswitch. It also splits up the EQ section so the clean and OD channels have their own EQ controls. The clean channel is the same as found on the DSL. The 'crunch' OD channel has more gain than the DSL's 'pushed' clean channel but less than the DSL's OD1. The 'lead' OD channel has as much gain as the DSL's OD2 but without the extra mid boost and generally it has a darker and more compressed sound.
People who grew up dreaming about Marshalls usually find the TSL sounds "too modern" and they write it off, but if 80s metal is your thing then it may be the answer.

There's also the JCM900 range. The idea behind these was that people were modding or boosting their JCM800s, so why not make an amp that inherently sounds that way by itself? It sort of worked, sort of failed. It's got more gain than an 800 and a tighter sound, but this can also come across as "harsh" or "thin", plus it still has the issue of being a single-channel amp. It would be worth checking out, though.

If you are sure you're only ever going to want this one tone then grab an 800 and an OD pedal, set the volume to deafening and enjoy. If you want a little more flexibility for things outside of metal, go for the DSL. If you want more flexibility within the metal and hard rock spectrum, try the TSL. If you like the idea of the 800 but don't want to have to rely on additional pedals, give the JCM900 a shot. There's no clear winner, here.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Flibble: Nobody touches the TSL because the DSL sounds so much better. Also, the SL/X and the Mk3 were single channel but the one they sold the most of (the Dual Reverb) was dual channel. The SL/X is the good one. In fact the SL/X is the only one that is ok without modding the crap out of it.

The two channel JCM800 is a pile of crap unless you mod it.
The DSL's are a fine amp. They were good enough for Gary Moore to use live and that's good enough for this little black duck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
"Better" is subjective. Let's not try to impose our opinions as facts, people.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
"Better" is subjective. Let's not try to impose our opinions as facts, people.

Quote by MrFlibble
I think the fact that each of those bands mentioned has jumped either to the 2000s or to a different brand entirely should help you make your decision.

Decries subjectivity, uses subjective appeal to authority...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'll take a DSL over a 800 almost every single time. With good tubes and a good ear for dialing in, you can make a DSL sound like an 800. On top of that you have like 3 other modes to play with, including cleans that can be quite good with that good ear.

In any case, it sounds like you definitely want the range of a 2000 with what you listed. You're not going to get from cleans to power metal on an 800 without a lot of knob swiveling and OD tap dancing. If you're okay with that, power to you, but I am a strong opponent of the tap dance.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard
Flibble: Nobody touches the TSL because the DSL sounds so much better. Also, the SL/X and the Mk3 were single channel but the one they sold the most of (the Dual Reverb) was dual channel. The SL/X is the good one. In fact the SL/X is the only one that is ok without modding the crap out of it.

Wait what, then what does the footswitch hole in my Mk3 do?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
It's funny how everyone seems to dislike the 2 channel 800s, and the 2210 I had for a bit was probably my favorite Marshall ever
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Viban
Wait what, then what does the footswitch hole in my Mk3 do?

It switches between two master volumes (like the SL/X). It's one channel with two master volumes.

Yeah, ok, Flibble. Let me rephrase - it doesn't sound like a Marshall.

Derek, the two channel ones are ok if you mod them. That clipper is an abomination.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 28, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
It switches between two master volumes (like the SL/X). It's one channel with two master volumes.

Yeah, ok, Flibble. Let me rephrase - it doesn't sound like a Marshall.

Derek, the two channel ones are ok if you mod them. That clipper is an abomination.

I don't really understand the point of it but I guess it has some form of use.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
It's simply there as a volume boost. Unless you are driving the power tubes into distortion it will sound the same except for a change in volume. It's there to raise the volume for lead breaks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As a proud owner of a DSL, I say get one. Its what the 800 dreamed of being.
It's what the 900 should have been.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's what the 900 should have been.

If R45VT can polish up a BV to not be a total piece of shit, I'm sure a 900 could be workable. I wanna watch whoever does it though so I can get some ideas.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.