Hey,

I'm currently working on a Strat project (squier don't worry!)
Was thinking, would it be possible to have just a tone control and no volume?
I will have 2 pickups, a selector switch and a tone knob.

Thoughts? Is it possible? Will the guitar be at full volume without a volume knob?

How do I wire it?

Any advice is really appreciated!
Yes, its certainly possible. It doesnt complicate it, if anything it simplifies it.
If you wanted no volume, you just wire the pickup to the switch, the switch output to the output jack on the guitar. You can add a tone control in there without any other changes.

If you wanted, you could use one pickup, and just wire it straight to the jack, with no controls.
The problem with not having a volume control is being unable to clean up the distortion by reducing the signal from you guitar. OK for heavy metal, not much use for classic rock if you play direct into a an amplifier - nothing to stop you having a volume pedal though.
Quote by PSimonR
The problem with not having a volume control is being unable to clean up the distortion by reducing the signal from you guitar. OK for heavy metal, not much use for classic rock if you play direct into a an amplifier - nothing to stop you having a volume pedal though.

Well thats not really a problem per say, he's just removing a feature. If it were me I would rather have volume than tone, but strictly speaking, neither is required on a passive pickup setup. You could have no controls and one humbucker if you want. All you are doing it eliminating some of the varieties of tones you could get from that axe (on the guitar at least).

For me, I like lots of knobs and gadgets to fidget with, but mostly play with volume and tone on 10 out of the bridge pup....
Plenty of people never touch the volume or tone controls, regardless of what they play.

What happens when you remove a control is the pickups get even louder than they would be with a volume control on '10' and they also get brighter. This doesn't just apply to volume controls; the same goes if you remove the tone control. If you remove both the volume and tone controls then you get maximum output and maximum brightness.

I've got a couple of guitars that have neither control, just pickups to a selector and the jack. Works perfectly fine, but I've got 36 channels to work with and other guitars for other sounds.

As for wiring it, it's no different than any other control configuration. Since you have multiple pickups with shared controls, wire the pickups to the switch, the switch to the tone control and the tone control to the jack.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.