Hey guys and gals,

I've recently decided to fill in for a mates covers band and think I would benefit from purchasing a P bass of some kind to have a warmer more traditional sound compared to the other basses I have....I also just want a new bass

I have about 500 GBPs to spend...maybe a little more. I'll consider second hand, and maybe getting a cheaper bass model and upgrading the PUs etc

So far I have tried (and am not keen on) -

A MIM Fender P
Mark Hoppus sig

I'm considering -

Sandberg Electra VS4
Vintage Modified Squire P
Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass
Squier Matt Freeman
Fender Precision Lyte (from Bass direct, second hand)
ESP LTD Vintage-204 BK

Does anyone have any other suggestions, recommendations or general advice?

Cheers
You gonna bark all day little doggie?
Go on basschat.co.uk and wait for a second-hand Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub or Duck Dunn bass.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
Go on basschat.co.uk and wait for a second-hand Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub or Duck Dunn bass.

+1. There's always some grumpy, middle-aged person on there looking to sell off an expensive bass for cheap
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
+1. There's always some grumpy, middle-aged person on there looking to sell off an expensive bass for cheap

There's a lot of shit in the discussion boards (as well as the occasional genuinely interesting read) but the classifieds are great.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
There's a lot of shit in the discussion boards (as well as the occasional genuinely interesting read) but the classifieds are great.

Agreed.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I haven't gotten to try the Sandberg Electras yet, but I'll bet they're killer.

That or go with the Lakland Skyline suggestion. Those should be miles ahead of the Squiers and Fenders (though the P Lyte is good, its not as "traditional" as the others).
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Yeah I've brought a few basses from there, it's a great website.

Quote by Ziphoblat

Just had a glance on youtube and the Skyline sounds great. It would be at the top of my budget though I'll keep an eye out.

Does anyone have any other models I should look at?
You gonna bark all day little doggie?
I got a Mike Dirnt signature P-Bass for $200 and then put some seymour duncans in it. I mostly liked it because it reminded me of a tele when I saw it. It works great
If the Fender MIM P-bass did not appeal to you, you might want to take a look at Schecter's Diamond P series:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
the Aiken Squire P-Bass is a great instrument. I modded and relic'd mine to look vintage and it is my 1# live player, night after night. I'd play it over my USA Satin P any day.
Attachments:
pbass alone.jpg
Last edited by chrisdaniels at Oct 6, 2015,
Quote by chrisdaniels at #33625794
the Aiken Squire P-Bass is a great instrument. I modded and relic'd mine to look vintage and it is my 1# live player, night after night. I'd play it over my USA Satin P any day.

+1 it's a great bass. Just need a new scratchplate for mine and it will be all golden!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If you come across a reasonably priced P Elite II, GET IT! Mine's a freaking tone monster!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Quote by Ziphoblat at #31240038

I've bought a lot of things from Bass chat and I'm on there quite a lot (Same user name) pretty good place I think, some of the discussion is nonsense however.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100