I'm looking to record random songs and riffs on my laptop so I can have them later in the event they escape my memory. My laptop basically only has USB jacks. So, does UG have any suggestions when it comes to what product I should look for? (Obviously looking for something fairly cheap-mid range price)
No suggestions, other than to have a look at the Pod stuff. Also, make sure that your recording interface doesn't require USB 2.0 - some laptops may only support USB 1.0.
I recommend you go a different route and get something along the lines of a tascam DR-05. It'll be good for recording riffs like you said but you'd be able to do more than if you just had a USB mic, which suck ass anyway.
If you want to shine like the sun first you must burn like it.
Moved to the correct forum.

Please check our sticky at the top of the forum
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by KG6_Steven
No suggestions, other than to have a look at the Pod stuff. Also, make sure that your recording interface doesn't require USB 2.0 - some laptops may only support USB 1.0.

NO NO NO NO! Pods are bad.

What TS wants is a Scarlet2i4. Here's one on eBay for $159. It costs $200 new. It's the best budget device for recording. And, yes, it has a USB hookup. In fact, it doesn't even turn on unless it's plugged into a computer USB jack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i4-RB-2-in-4-USB-Audio-Interface-for-Musicians-and-Digital-/181110783855?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Interfaces&hash=item2a2b0b3f6f
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by jthm_guitarist
How about a USB mixer? That way you have a mixer too, in case you ever need one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251250883055

No, USB Mixer != Interface.
USB mixers tend to be pretty average mixers, and pretty poor interfaces (because even if they take a whole bunch of inputs they only put out either two mono tracks or one stereo track). A real interface is what TS needs, and the Focusrite Saffire 6 or Scarlett 2i4 is about the best bang for buck option there.
Quote by chatterbox272
No, USB Mixer != Interface.
USB mixers tend to be pretty average mixers, and pretty poor interfaces (because even if they take a whole bunch of inputs they only put out either two mono tracks or one stereo track).

The USB mixers I use take separate output from each channel (Alesis multimix 8/16 USB 2.0)

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
The USB mixers I use take separate output from each channel (Alesis multimix 8/16 USB 2.0)

But by the time you get into the price range of the Multimix 16, there are ones that are miles better.

Also, is your avatar the same as Alex's or am I just high?
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Thanks to everyone that replied! (and thank you for moving to the correct thread I was kinda just rush posting last night!) But, I'll be sure to explore everything posted
Quote by lockwolf
Also, is your avatar the same as Alex's or am I just high?

He was one of those who stole my avatar for "comedic" purposes, so default Mandy Moore.

OT:
Yeah, honestly, your best bet is definitely to get an actual interface, TS. Don't get a mixer. Don't buy a USB mic. You can get the Saffire6 or the Scarlett2i4 for like $100 on eBay, if you look enough. And usually, that means you just click the "buy now" option and receive it in a week.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
NO NO NO NO! Pods are bad.

What TS wants is a Scarlet2i4. Here's one on eBay for $159. It costs $200 new. It's the best budget device for recording. And, yes, it has a USB hookup. In fact, it doesn't even turn on unless it's plugged into a computer USB jack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i4-RB-2-in-4-USB-Audio-Interface-for-Musicians-and-Digital-/181110783855?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Interfaces&hash=item2a2b0b3f6f

Perhaps in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. A good friend of mine has one and I've always been amazed at the quality he gets. Heck, a Neve console, in the hands of someone who's untrained, would sound bad. Just gotta know how to use what you have.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Perhaps in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. A good friend of mine has one and I've always been amazed at the quality he gets. Heck, a Neve console, in the hands of someone who's untrained, would sound bad. Just gotta know how to use what you have.

And yet...you still would get more out of the Focusrite Saffire or Scarlett line than you would out of a pod...
Quote by KG6_Steven

Great Engineer + Crap Gear = Good recording
Crap Engineer + Good Gear = Crap recording
Great Engineer + Good Gear = Amazing recording

Just because with some work you can get crap to sound good doesn't mean you should intentionally choose it over something better.
Quote by chatterbox272
Great Engineer + Crap Gear = Good recording
Crap Engineer + Good Gear = Crap recording
Great Engineer + Good Gear = Amazing recording

Just because with some work you can get crap to sound good doesn't mean you should intentionally choose it over something better.

Gents... I think you're missing the point here. Not that I'm ragging on TS, but I'm sure he's not a great engineer. He's someone starting out, looking for something cheap to make some bedroom recordings. Honestly, do you really think the average person is going to hear a difference between the Pod recording and a recording made on the Saffire? I'm hearing the Saffire stuff being bragged on like it was the next Rupert Neve, Toft or Soundcraft console. In that price range, quality will be similar - We're talking sub $200 range here. Heck, in that price range, even a Behringer interface is going to sound similar in quality. There is no giant leap in performance, quality or features when we're talking about a $100 or $159 interface.

Ultimately, TS needs to decide what fits his budget and will work best for him. I only suggested the Pod, because a friend of mine, who's been playing for 30 years has gotten some really decent results using one. To be honest, I was extremely surprised that his recordings had been done on a Pod. And FTR, I don't own a Pod or a Saffire - I own a Presonus 16.4.2, so I really don't care what he buys, but again, was merely suggesting a possible choice.

TS - I recommend you go to your local guitar store and check out the local offerings. You can also check out online demos on Youtube, as well as online reviews. Make your own informed decision. Don't listen to us - use your own ears.
It's mainly that the Pod just isn't worth the money, not that it's satan-jizz awful it's that there's better for the price.

To use the oft used Wine Analogy.

It'd be like asking £100 for a bottle of weirdly pissy tasting, but not entirely unpleasant, Rose with a bundled rusty corkscrew, when you could spend around the same on a good quality Shiraz.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Mar 28, 2013,
Not that I want to keep beating a dead horse, but we're talking about $50 or so. Better? Really?

I have decent ears and I know good tone/sound when I hear it. The Pod, surprisingly, wasn't that bad - it was decent. If spending $50 more on something else gets you an audible improvement in sound quality, then go for it.

I've made my point and I've got a fork in me. I'm done.
I'm not that great at mixing and I instantly heard the difference between the two *shrug*
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by KG6_Steven
Gents... I think you're missing the point here. Not that I'm ragging on TS, but I'm sure he's not a great engineer. He's someone starting out, looking for something cheap to make some bedroom recordings. Honestly, do you really think the average person is going to hear a difference between the Pod recording and a recording made on the Saffire? I'm hearing the Saffire stuff being bragged on like it was the next Rupert Neve, Toft or Soundcraft console. In that price range, quality will be similar - We're talking sub $200 range here. Heck, in that price range, even a Behringer interface is going to sound similar in quality. There is no giant leap in performance, quality or features when we're talking about a $100 or $159 interface.

Ultimately, TS needs to decide what fits his budget and will work best for him. I only suggested the Pod, because a friend of mine, who's been playing for 30 years has gotten some really decent results using one. To be honest, I was extremely surprised that his recordings had been done on a Pod. And FTR, I don't own a Pod or a Saffire - I own a Presonus 16.4.2, so I really don't care what he buys, but again, was merely suggesting a possible choice.

TS - I recommend you go to your local guitar store and check out the local offerings. You can also check out online demos on Youtube, as well as online reviews. Make your own informed decision. Don't listen to us - use your own ears.

Of course the TS isn't a great engineer (no offence, neither am I nor are most people on UG), but that's beside the point. When he starts he probably won't know the difference, but as he gets better at recording and hearing all the little differences he will start to notice. It's like how when you first start guitar a Line 6 Spider sounds pretty awesome, but then you play for a while and realise how crap it sounds compared to the Vypyr you could have had at the same price, and how crap they both seem compared to the closest priced tube amp.
I wouldn't recommend youtube because it screws with the audio so much you will never get a good comparison.

In the end if the TS wants a Pod then the TS will get a Pod regardless of what we say, and I will admit there is a lot of unnessecary hate on the Pod/Pod farm here and a lot of focusrite fanboyism here too. I do think the Focusrite is better and will be noticeable if the TS wants to continue recording further, but the Pod will do the trick and plenty of people do perfectly fine with them.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Not that I want to keep beating a dead horse, but we're talking about $50 or so. Better? Really?

I have decent ears and I know good tone/sound when I hear it. The Pod, surprisingly, wasn't that bad - it was decent. If spending $50 more on something else gets you an audible improvement in sound quality, then go for it.

I've made my point and I've got a fork in me. I'm done.

Why do you keep insisting that Pods are up to the standards of an actual audio interface like Focusrite's stuff? Everyone keeps telling you it's not. You're like the kid who gets told that his dad isn't the strongest man in the world and keeps going, "HE IS TOO!".
I feel the interface is the most important part of the chain for digital recordings... choosing the cheapest one is stupid... splurge or save up to get a good one. It'll be well worth it in your sound...

I now use an avid 11 Rack but before that I used 4 different interfaces on my Mac & my Windows 7 machine. 3 were USB and 1 was firewire. The last one I purchased before my 11R was a Focusrite Sapphire 6 USB - it was $199.99 (got it on sale for $149.00). It had beautiful sound & features. I can recommend it highly!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by chatterbox272

I wouldn't recommend youtube because it screws with the audio so much you will never get a good comparison.

In the end if the TS wants a Pod then the TS will get a Pod regardless of what we say, and I will admit there is a lot of unnessecary hate on the Pod/Pod farm here and a lot of focusrite fanboyism here too. I do think the Focusrite is better and will be noticeable if the TS wants to continue recording further, but the Pod will do the trick and plenty of people do perfectly fine with them.

For clarification sake... The recordings I referenced were sent direct to me - they were not from YouTube. I agree that using YouTube to critique anything is an extremely poor choice. I would never use a compressed YT video as a reference for anything.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Why do you keep insisting that Pods are up to the standards of an actual audio interface like Focusrite's stuff? Everyone keeps telling you it's not. You're like the kid who gets told that his dad isn't the strongest man in the world and keeps going, "HE IS TOO!".

This is going to be my last comment on the topic and then I'm done. My reply was not intended to turn this into a urination distance event. My statements and recommendations were based on my opinion - much as yours. I've listened to several recordings made on a Pod and I felt, for the price, the results were decent. Did I say that a multi-million dollar studio should dump its high-end gear and replace it with a Pod? No. I merely recommended that, TS, who is a beginner, consider a Pod. Would it be something that he'd still be using in 40 years? Probably not. However, as I stated, a good friend of mine in the local area, has been using one and he was able to get good results from it. Again, if you must insist that there's a huge difference between a $100 Pod and a $159 Saffire, then have at it. In that price range, the recording quality you achieve will be comparable.

And just because a hundred people insist that something is right doesn't make it so. Is the world still flat? You should know better than to pull that argument on me.

And for the record, I'm probably old enough to be your dad. Also for the record, this is my last response on this thread. I'm done. TS is welcome to purchase whatever he desires.

Best of luck in your recording endeavors, TS.
When people who have experience with the matter tell you that you're wrong, you should listen, even if what they say is something you disagree with. You think your friend's work with a Pod is great. The rest of us think that if your friend used something like a Scarlett 2i4, he would sound even better. But many of the regulars here (of which I don't include myself, because I've not been in this forum very long) know more about this than most. Pods are well known to be overpriced for the quality of recording they provide. You could spend $100 on a used Focusrite and download a few free amp/cab sims and get a better sound than a Pod for less money (because in order to get a decent quality Pod, you're spending more than $100); it's that simple.

Edit:
And your age doesn't automatically make you correct, so I fail to see how that was applicable. (Unless you somehow think the kid comment was meant to comment on your age; it wasn't. It was meant to comment on your inability to admit you are wrong).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 29, 2013,