Hello everyone, like always i hope all of you are having a awesome day!

Let me tell you a little about myself.

I first started learning guitar ( after i learned the chords, scales ) playing to the isley brothers. I would pick any song and find the key right off the bat. But i also played to Marvin Gaye tracks, putting add ins on certain parts and when i felt like it, soloed to certain extended instrumental part of the songs. Since i have started i have listened and loved Vinnie Moore, Frank Gambale, Steve Vai and other guitarist music. But i always come back to what i started with.

a couple questions i would like to ask you guys ( please with all seriousness )

- Is there still a want for funk, soul guitarist during this time and age.

- How can i take someone like Marvin Gayes voice and practice it on the guitar with his phrasing and unique style?

- Will i always be the odd guy out ( seems like most people around my age ( im 23 ) like metal or alternative )

- I have been contemplating ( through not finding any musician around my area that likes any of the musicians sounds i have listed ( even steve vai or vinnie moore) ) going my own way and being a solo artist. Do any of you have any advice on this route?

Thanks again guys. No Google search can help me. I really appreciate your help guys.

- jon
"- Is there still a want for funk, soul guitarist during this time and age. "
i don't know if there is a "want" for it but my band jams out funk all the time during practice... never did it at a gig though... but funk is always fun to play

"- How can i take someone like Marvin Gayes voice and practice it on the guitar with his phrasing and unique style?"
just try to figure out the notes he's singing and play them on the guitar. it really is that simple... the slightly more dificult part is figuring out the melody, but that becomes much easier once you figure out the notes... I find things like this are abit easier if you listen to the song with a nice set of headphones, that you can also feed your guitar into.

basically play through your computer, no you wont have a perfect tone from your guitar if you dont have some nice recording gear, but it is a bit easier to isolate the notes when other noise cant interfere.

"- Will i always be the odd guy out ( seems like most people around my age ( im 23 ) like metal or alternative )"
in a way, arent we all the "odd man out"? seriously just jam with everyone ou can, eventually you will find someone else who likes to jam with you, that you also like to jam with.

"- I have been contemplating ( through not finding any musician around my area that likes any of the musicians sounds i have listed ( even steve vai or vinnie moore) ) going my own way and being a solo artist. Do any of you have any advice on this route? "
if you really want to take it solo, go for it. I'm totally down with people becomeing solo artists. Just remember to have fun. I'd suggest writing a bunch of songs and hitting as many 'open mic nights' as you can.

personally I would not totally close out the idea of finding other musicians because you may find quite a few who like your style if you just get out there and play

anyway good luck and have fun!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.