Page 2 of 4
I guess I gravitate towards dualism. The body is a vessel for the mind to exist in the material world. I think it's perfectly plausible for the mind to be able to exist in a different plain of consciousness when the body withers.

The limitations of our mind make it very unlikely that we can imagine what it would be like it if did exist, and I do have a preference but I know it wouldn't be like that. I don't think there's a God, I don't think there's a bearded guy waiting for me ready to judge me on rules that don't make sense to me, or a modern world.

Saying all that I'm still pretty sure that there's nothing, a void. I try to form my beliefs based on fact.

What I'm saying is; Sure, it's possible, but don't be naive enough to think you have a clue and most probably, there's nothing. Just be good to people, even if there's no spiritual afterlife people will still remember you based on your actions.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
Come on, it's not like we've never experienced a state of not-being-alive before. We were all dead for millennia before we were born. The most logical conclusion is that we will return to that state of complete non-existence and non-consciousness. Not very comforting or popular, but logical I'd say.

no, all things work on a wave and pattern and repeating process, the pattern must repeat. you only experience the conscious periods.
Quote by Mephaphil
people will still remember you based on your actions.

Until they all die...
ayy lmao
If a small baby dies, does it enter the afterlife in its baby state? Unable to comprehend its surroundings, unable to effectively communicate or recognise. Assuming that's what you can do in an afterlife. Can you imagine spending an eternity like this? Or does its conciousness just instantly mature when it crosses over to make eternity more tolerable.

And when some people report 'seeing' ghosts, they somehow are wearing clothes. If its on TV, ghosts look no different to when they were alive. Really? What spiritual link to the other side does woven cotten have. Are ghosts prudish?
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
no, all things work on a wave and pattern and repeating process, the pattern must repeat. you only experience the conscious periods.

"No"? But surely what you just said agrees with what Johnny_Ibanez just said?

If the pattern repeats as you say, and if we were all in a state of non-existence before we were born like Johnny_Ibanez said, then surely that state of non-existence will be repeated.

Existence/conciousness essentialy is experience. If you only experience the conscious periods, then the other periods are effectively 'non-existence'.

Quote by Phoenix V
If a small baby dies, does it enter the afterlife in its baby state? Unable to comprehend its surroundings, unable to effectively communicate or recognise. Assuming that's what you can do in an afterlife. Can you imagine spending an eternity like this? Or does its conciousness just instantly mature when it crosses over to make eternity more tolerable.

And when some people report 'seeing' ghosts, they somehow are wearing clothes. If its on TV, ghosts look no different to when they were alive. Really? What spiritual link to the other side does woven cotten have. Are ghosts prudish?

Also, if everything that dies becomes a ghost (and if you believe in ghosts, there's no reason to believe that they don't) then shouldn't we constantly be looking through what looks like a thick fog made up of all the ghosts of every living thing that's ever existed?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by LostLegion
I'd like reincarnation to exist, but I know it doesn't.

Actualy, in a sense, it does exist. After you die, your body is eventualy broken down one way or another, and the atoms that made up the matter of your body eventualy find their way into other items, a tiny part of you could one day become part of a tree, or part of an animal or possibly even part of another person.
Our consciousness dies when we die, but the energies that make up our bodies and the memories of us in our loved one's minds will carry on. To me, that's enough of a comfort.

In a sense, our existence is eternal. Because the energies that construct who we are have always existed. All that has changed are the forms within that energy.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Actualy, in a sense, it does exist. After you die, your body is eventualy broken down one way or another, and the atoms that made up the matter of your body eventualy find their way into other items, a tiny part of you could one day become part of a tree, or part of an animal or possibly even part of another person.

That's some trippy shit right there.
If the universe is infinite then it is a certainty that eventually a bunch of atoms, some time and somewhere, will arrange themselves into the exact arrangement that make you.

And this will happen an infinite number of times.

Which means, we are all of us immortal.

Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
If the universe is infinite then it is a certainty that eventually a bunch of atoms, some time and somewhere, will arrange themselves into the exact arrangement that make you.

Can't wait to read Nim Chimpsky's 'Romeo and Juliet'
It's not an issue that I feel my highly valuable time is worth wasting on. Lots of stupid posts to make and so little time.

Quote by SlackerBabbath

This is very good though.
Last edited by captainsnazz at Mar 27, 2013,
I remember hearing someone say "whats it like after you die?" in which the person responded "exactly how it felt the billions of years before you were born"

I think thats a fairly good way of putting it.
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09
Stay away you freak....I dont want you spreading your hideous crab population..

METALLICA AT WEMBLEY 08/07/07
To die would be an awfully big adventure.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by MrDo0m
What proof?

what proof there isn't?
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Probably not. If there is, it's independent of any actual human knowledge... because we have absolutely no way of knowing, unless we wake up in an afterlife after we die, but there's no way of telling anyone about once you're there. It's like reincarnation: if it's real, it's a coincidence, and has nothing to do with any concrete knowledge that humanity possesses.

/thread
Quote by guitarist5477
what proof there isn't?

Stupidest argument for anything, ever.

Don't make me link to Russell's Teapot.

Lrn2burdenofproof.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

that's really not as profound as it feels when you realize that all protons, neutrons, and electrons are exactly identical. to claim that atoms in your body are yours is like a giant hairy ship of theseus

however, you don't have to wait to become part of nature in that sense. we produce carbon dioxide and breath it out while trees collect it. the vast majority of a trees mass, like eighty percent of something, comes from CO2. some of that must have been from you at some point.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Yeah! That's actually what my physics teacher was telling me about a few weeks back. Really cool stuff.

Unfortunately, as far as I know our consciousness doesn't transfer post-mortem
I think a fair amount of people on this forum know I'm a Messianic Jew, so I think that answers TS's question. We'll leave it at that. Don't need any debates or disharmony up in here.
Opinions vary.

I'll find out soon enough, and I'm in no hurry to know the answer...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by MrDo0m
Just curious as to your thoughts.

Personally I wonder if all the matter that our bodies are made of eventually get sucked into some black hole and scattered into another universe

No. Have you ever seen a dead body before? They decompose.
Quote by Joshua Garcia

Shoots, if you believe ghosts exist, then you're a moron.

Fixed.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
Fixed.

i believe they exist todd

in my heart
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
i believe they exist todd

in my heart

I think you mean cholesterol, not ghosts.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Nope, our brains decompose with the rest of us, and the physical ability to think ('soul') goes with it.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez

The problem with this, is that the universe is not infinite - sure, our comprehension/definition of time may be considered infinite, but there is a point in billions of years of time, where it is believed the universe will have reached a state of complete entropy, and no life will exist and all energy will have reached a state of rest or storage. The stars will have died and no longer give off light, and black holes will have consumed everything, and the universe will be an empty, black, abyss...

Quite a depressing thought really, although admittedly we don't know this will take place for certain. And already as recently as the last week, we discovered a mysterious 'cold spot' when the Planck telescope made the most detailed map of the universe (via microwaves... not the ones that cook food ) and some believe that is evidence or an indication of a previous universe, which may suggest the universe will die and be reborn (Who knows? I certainly don't ).

Yeah, I think I need something to eat as I can't even remember how much of what I just said is common scientific theory and how much of it is me clutching at what I think I understand, but haven't really understood fully!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Todd Hart
Fixed.

Well that's pretty unnecessarily rude. Because really, it's another one of those thing you can't prove or disprove. If you don't believe it, that's fine, but that doesn't mean everyone else who does is a moron mang.

Personally, I think there are, but until I have some experience of my own, I'm not gonna know.
Quote by StewieSwan
Prove the world isn't flat

Ok I see your point. Obviously some ideas are rightfully more accepted, but with something like the afterlife, I think there's a lot of room for skepticism. It doesn't work the same way as knowing the Earth is round. So people who do believe in ghosts shouldn't be labeled as morons, is my point.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Mar 27, 2013,
I see no reason to believe there is an afterlife. It's all just wishful thinking from people who can't deal with the fact that they'll die.

Quote by Joshua Garcia
Well that's pretty unnecessarily rude. Because really, it's another one of those thing you can't prove or disprove. If you don't believe it, that's fine, but that doesn't mean everyone else who does is a moron mang.

Personally, I think there are, but until I have some experience of my own, I'm not gonna know.

Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Mar 27, 2013,
I really hope there isn't an afterlife, if there is a heaven in the traditional Abrahamic sense then I would rather avoid that. Eternity is a pretty long time. I like the idea that when we die that's it, the only thing that remains is our actions which in turn define us as individuals.
all we are is dust in the wind
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by metaldud536
No. Have you ever seen a dead body before? They decompose.

But that decomposed material is still stuff that, who knows, may become part of a tree, or another animal, but still, all of it will eventually get sucked into a black hole.
Quote by jaybsp
I really hope there isn't an afterlife, if there is a heaven in the traditional Abrahamic sense then I would rather avoid that. Eternity is a pretty long time. I like the idea that when we die that's it, the only thing that remains is our actions which in turn define us as individuals.

Yeah, but that does that even matter if you're truly dead?
Quote by captainsnazz
It's not an issue that I feel my highly valuable time is worth wasting on.

Then don't?
We'll all find out sooner or later so it seems pointless fretting about it.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by StewieSwan
I see no reason to believe there is an afterlife. It's all just wishful thinking from people who can't deal with the fact that they'll die.

Even if we accept that it is just 'wishful thinking' then if that's what those people need to believe in able to deal with the fact that they'll die it turns out there IS a reason to believe...you contradict yourself.

As for proving the world isn't flat, what proof would you accept, since that seems to be the defining factor in stupid queries like this?

http://www.smarterthanthat.com/astronomy/top-10-ways-to-know-the-earth-is-not-flat/
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin