Hey guys,
this isn't necessarily just a what pickup should I use (although feel free to give your 2cents!), rather me and the guitarist in my band are looking to replace our stock bridge pups which are really no good and the main concern I have is if we get the same pickups is our tone going to be stupidly similar to record with, we want to be able to differentiate tones I guess but both tones need to suit our genre.
I know that Amp and EQ will effect tone and maybe fix the above issue but figure I might as well double check and see what other people do.

My band plays in Drop A we're kind of djent/hardcore similar sound to Northlane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbbrLANGYkI

Was thinking of going with a BKP in the bridge, maybe Painkiller or Aftermath or Nailbomb.

Would you guys suggest not both getting the same pup in the bridge and maybe try and find a good combination of two different pups or is there really no issue with that.

Btw we're playing 6 strings he's using a Blackstar half stack (4x12) 100W, full tube (No idea which one!)

I'm using a H&K Matrix 100 (Solid State 100W amp) with 4x12

Sorry hope this isn't one of those stupid threads, I did try and do research but didn't find anything that was really specific enough to my needs.

InB4 "hardcore sux" and "you don't need to tune to drop A to sound good"
I believe the current stock comedy answer to people enquiring about tone is, "You need a new amp."

However, have a listen to that video you linked. Listen really hard and, forgetting anything you might actually know about the band's gear, ask yourself if you can tell what pickups each guitarist is using.

In fact, just from listening, can you (or anyone) tell what gear is being used? Maybe you could get in a ballpark but there are so many ways of creating a sound, with so many different bits of kit, I imagine it would be impossible to nail it bang on.

I think you've probably answered the question for yourself. There's more to separating tone than what pickups you're using. Composition plays an important part in making sure the guitars aren't treading the same ground all the time and when it comes to recording there's plenty of other things you can do. You'll notice on that track that the guitars are very cleary separated to left and right.
Ok thanks for your reply, I guess I can't really pick what gear they're using just from listening so I guess that helps your point about there being tonnes of different ways to create a sound and pups are just one piece of the puzzle, I guess the answer I was more looking for is what other guitarists do in this situation, do you personally make sure the other guitarist has different pups or should it really be of no concern.
Also it was silly to of me to just concentrate on the recording perspective, this has every bit to do with playing live as well where you don't have someone EQing you or panning you left and right.
Yup, fair points also. I was exaggerating a little for effect, as you noticed.

I've not played in a massive number of different bands but I have to say that the question of what pickups were in use never came up. I dunno, maybe we just didn't care enough. Although to be fair we did spend some time trying to make sure the final sounds complemented each other.

A live situation might be slightly different to recording, depending on your setup, but if you're just using the back line, then you have tone controls on your amps and they'll naturally be physically separated. If you're miked and going through a desk then you may also have the possbility of a little EQ and panning - depends on your kit I suppose.
Dem Mikes

anyways, yeah true I think it's probably fair at the end of the day to rely on our amps and EQing etc. to separate our sound, think we'll just go get a pair of painkillers

Thanks for your help mate.
EQing is probably your best bet, your tones can sound dramatically different even with the same pups. Djent on brother!
Ibanez TSA30 < Boss OS-2 < Custom Frankenstein Strat w/ scalloped board and Epi LP pickup