Page 1 of 2
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
4,806 IQ
So a few years ago I was going to be in a metal band, like Obituary, Slayer, Entombed, What sort of budget amps are there out there, I know about the bugeras and stuff, I just sold mine, but may be joining a new band, so I want a cheap-ish/budget head for maybe around £300... if that's possible.

Any help would be great, don't need a cab, just a head at the moment
MickAlmighty
UGs ONLY Human-Raccoon
1,326 IQ
Get yourself on Gumtree pal
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
4,806 IQ
What amps would you suggest for that slayer\obituary tone?
J_W
65 IQ
Slayer used Marshalls. JCM800's I think.
The Neighbor of the Beast
930 IQ
If you want the old school Florida Death Metal sound, look for an Ampeg VH140c. I bought a Crate GX130c (same basic circuit) for $100.

I have a Blackstar HT-5 for my practice amp. I use a Blackout Effector Musket for my dirt. I can cover just about everything heavy with it. From Entombed to Slayer the the Haunted. The Musket is a fuzz, but so much more. It's has it's own preamp and it can act as a traditional boost on up to a distortion pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpOQ71m2if8
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
4,806 IQ
How well would the Peavey Vypyr Tube work for that sort of tone? just heavy
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Laney AOR $300ish used
Laney GH 50/100/100TI $500ish
Marshall JCM900 SL-X $600+
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50/100 $500+
Bugera 1990 $300 used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
KailM
5,120 IQ
^^You definitely need a Boss HM-2 to get that tone. Absolutely. It sounds like that through many amps, not just the 6505 (though, if you can afford it, I'd highly recommend a 6505 or 5150, they have a beast tone all by themselves, but different from that clip. I believe Entombed used HM-2s into solid state Peaveys for their distinctive tone. But I can get that tone with my 6505/Hm2 as well.
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
4,806 IQ
I know I'll need the HM-2 for sure man, but.... would a cheap head do? haha, I'm asking some shops to see if i can go and test this out
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
That's the sound you want?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
4,806 IQ
Well maybe it's not your thing, but it sounds so heavy live!
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash
77 IQ
Quote by Andrew/WK
Well maybe it's not your thing, but it sounds so heavy live!

It sounds heavy in person yes, but in a live situation you will get drowned out by everything else. This kind of tone is okay for studio use and practicing by yourself. Just don't plan on being heard at gigs. If there is one thing that I have learned through about tone is that mids are essential.
Quote by shredder3386
Yup, Addonexus nailed it...
My band
Addonexus
Bigbazz
122 IQ
First video you posted sounds like turd to me, harsh highs, flabby bottom end and messy ammounts of gain. Why don't you buy another Bugera like the 6505 or Triple Rectifier copies? Or you could grab a Peavey Valveking perhaps.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 28, 2013,
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
4,806 IQ
I'm gonna go try some amps out to get this tone, its not everyones cup of tea, but I love it
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash
77 IQ
The guitar's natural tone is in the mids, scooping them makes no sense. Let the bass take care of the low frequency and the cymbals take care of the highs. If a band has no mids then it is going to sound like muddy garbage. I used to think the exact same way as you do but i had to learn a hard lesson. It's all about how you sound in the mix.
Quote by shredder3386
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash
77 IQ
Quote by Andrew/WK
I'm gonna go try some amps out to get this tone, its not everyones cup of tea, but I love it

Don't get me wrong dude, i'm not trying to hate or anything. I actually like scooped mids every now and then when I am jamming alone, but in a band setting everything changes. I'm just tying to save you from some mistakes I made.
Quote by shredder3386
My band
Addonexus
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
The first band you posted is using a marshall of somekind and a Peavey VTM. VTM's are quite cheap secondhand
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
MaaZeus
409 IQ
Quote by Addonexus408
The guitar's natural tone is in the mids, scooping them makes no sense. Let the bass take care of the low frequency and the cymbals take care of the highs. If a band has no mids then it is going to sound like muddy garbage. I used to think the exact same way as you do but i had to learn a hard lesson. It's all about how you sound in the mix.

Just to let you know, the swedish death metal sound is all about midrange. Its ugly and fizzy, and yet you can hear the riffs well. Atleast i hear every single one in the black breath one despite being shitty live recording. Search Entombed Wolverine Blues, lots of mids in that one.

TS. Boss hm2 is quite expensive on ebay, but behringer has made a clone HM300. Boss is better quality but for quick fix behringer will work just fine.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
4,806 IQ
I don't have that much to spend on an amp, maybe $400?
KailM
5,120 IQ
Don't listen to the mids-nazis on this site.

The Swedish "Buzzsaw" tone is quite legitimate, and very enjoyable if you like death metal. Last time I watched live videos of At the Gates, Bloodbath, Entombed, etc., etc. -- I could hear the guitars quite clearly -- it wasn't just bass, drums and vocals as some would imply.

People that don't understand and/or respect a genre of music probably shouldn't be commenting on acceptable tones for said genres.
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
4,806 IQ
Do you think this tone is achievable with a cheap head/combo?
The Neighbor of the Beast
930 IQ
Quote by Andrew/WK
Where can I pick up a GX130c in the UK?

IDK. You'd have to search the classifieds for something like this. I'm sure they were never prevalent across the pond, but it's worth a shot.

I'm sure you will find something there in the used market that you can work with. A used high gain Laney or Hi Watt maybe?
MaaZeus
409 IQ
Quote by Andrew/WK
Do you think this tone is achievable with a cheap head/combo?

Yes. IIRC first Entombed lp was recorded with Peavey Bandit (pre-transtube one) and At the gates used Peavey supreme. Both cost peanuts on used market.

Also, amen to that KailM.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
4,806 IQ
I'm gonna go to some guitar shops, try out some cheap heads with this pedal and see how it sounds
MaaZeus
409 IQ
Quote by 667
IDK. You'd have to search the classifieds for something like this. I'm sure they were never prevalent across the pond, but it's worth a shot.

I'm sure you will find something there in the used market that you can work with. A used high gain Laney or Hi Watt maybe?

Ampeg and crates are not very widespread here in EU but first and second gen Marshall Valvestates are easy to find. Another amp that was famous in death metal scenes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
qinfdieb
10 IQ
Nice work just kept going until she responded
Last edited by qinfdieb at Mar 28, 2013,
crzywhiteboy
Too Cool To Post
912 IQ
Quote by Andrew/WK
I don't have that much to spend on an amp, maybe $400?

ooo sorry didnt notice that hahaah.
Then i would say this.
look in to a used POD x3 live.
Plugs straight into a PA, easy to practice with. And if you set it up right (which is not hard but it does take getting use to) you can get some really good tones out of it.

The only other option i could thing of is if you find a used peavey 5150 or 6505 or a
Krank Rev Jr. Pro 50 watt head.
MaaZeus
409 IQ
Quote by crzywhiteboy
ooo sorry didnt notice that hahaah.
Then i would say this.
look in to a used POD x3 live.
Plugs straight into a PA, easy to practice with. And if you set it up right (which is not hard but it does take getting use to) you can get some really good tones out of it.

The only other option i could thing of is if you find a used peavey 5150 or 6505 or a
Krank Rev Jr. Pro 50 watt head.

Does pod take pedals? Unless there is swedish death metal simulation available ability to take in dimed boss hm2 is mandatory.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Bigbazz
122 IQ
Why don't you just buy a Line 6 spider if you want that kinda tone. It sounds like turd but from what I can gather that is what you want and it's very affordable.

When I think of Swedish Death Metal I think of bands like Carcass and Arch Enemy, their guitar tones sound nothing like this solid state fizzturd and more like Dual Rect/5150 tones.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
l3p4rd
ponx
259 IQ
You posted 2 powerviolence bands... get a marshall JCM 900 and top boost it. Some of the bands use almost bad sounding stuff. Black breath uses old cheap peaveys. Maybe look for an old used Peavey Butcher???

Quote by 667
If you want the old school Florida Death Metal sound, look for an Ampeg VH140c. I bought a Crate GX130c (same basic circuit) for $100.

these work well for the sound you want too imo. I've seen grind/PV use them live and they do a good job. Ampeg guitar tube stuff has a really cool not traditionally good in-your-face distortion sound. Bands like loma prieta have a great guitar sound with them.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Last edited by l3p4rd at Mar 28, 2013,
MaaZeus
409 IQ
Quote by Bigbazz
Why don't you just buy a Line 6 spider if you want that kinda tone. It sounds like turd but from what I can gather that is what you want and it's very affordable.

When I think of Swedish Death Metal I think of bands like Carcass and Arch Enemy, their guitar tones sound nothing like this solid state fizzturd and more like Dual Rect/5150 tones.

Except spider sounds nothing like it. There are many forms of oldschool swedish (or northern in general) but usually they are all bass and midrange heavy .The Boss hm2 one just is the most famous because of how unique it is. It is not unusable and inaudible live even if it seems like it at first due to how fuzzy and putrid it is.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 28, 2013,
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
4,806 IQ
No need to diss the tone, I didn't ask for your opinion on it, I just wanted to know on what sort of amp I'd need. I know I need the HM-2, but I just wondered what head would do that's reasonably cheap.

The line 6 spider series are a pile of shit and won't get that tone.

And Black Breath aren't a power violence band.
JackoMBA
1,425 IQ
Quote by Andrew/WK
How well would the Peavey Vypyr Tube work for that sort of tone? just heavy

I have a Vypyr Tube 60. It's amazing for the heavy tones. Effects are pretty good too. It's loud as hell, but also sounds great at bedroom levels, even if the power section is tube.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
There are lots of Crates that will do it, look for a Crate Excalibur as well, thick dirty channel, takes a boost nicely.

Randall's RH and RG series can probably get you there, you should definitely be able to find one under budget.

Getting one of the oldest Valvestates (the 8080 or whatever they were) would be alright, they have a pretty gnarly tone, failing that the VS100 with the treble turned down a bit.

You have a good number of options to get that sound, these are just the things I have direct experience with and can highly recommend.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
J_W
65 IQ
Quote by KailM
Don't listen to the mids-nazis on this site.

The Swedish "Buzzsaw" tone is quite legitimate, and very enjoyable if you like death metal. Last time I watched live videos of At the Gates, Bloodbath, Entombed, etc., etc. -- I could hear the guitars quite clearly -- it wasn't just bass, drums and vocals as some would imply.

People that don't understand and/or respect a genre of music probably shouldn't be commenting on acceptable tones for said genres.

Agreed. Heaven forbid people actually have different taste when it comes to tone.
Last edited by J_W at Mar 29, 2013,