Page 3 of 6
If you guys are talking about pop-punk you can go kill yourselves

Pop-punk is great
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by WCPhils
If you guys are talking about pop-punk you can go kill yourselves :mad

Pop-punk is great

Words of wisdom.

Quote by Todd Hart
So 'crunk and 'gandhi are already pussy-whipped, impressive.

Quote by Burgery
you just think they're being mean to you because you have fragile girl feelings
I'm listening to blink

I dare you to find a catchier band

It can't be done

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
PHILS, GREEN DAAAYY SUCKS AND YOU SHOULD STOP LISTENING TO IT!

You can't even spell Green Day. y should i listen 2 u?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 27, 2013,
Blink 182, Sum 41, etc I'll listen to that old pop punk all day.

Between Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue and Good Charlotte's Anthem there's enough to sustain my teenage nostalgia for decades to come.

I'll also listen to Carly Rae Jepsen. Bitch is catchy
Most people who seem to hate on pop are br00tz metalheads that are too insecure to admit that it's their music that sucks.

Yes, I say this and I listen to Warrant. That tells you something.

trolololololololol
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: This jazz piano music playing over the PA like wow for once it's good stuff they're playing

What if blue cheese is just regular cheese but it's accelerating towards you really fast?
80s pop was fine, like The Safety Dance and Take On Me.

And pop punk makes me repeat "ew ew ew ew".
Quote by Kopp2
Just be like me. You will get cool by instant

Dayman

Master of karate and friendship for everyone
Motown was my favourite era/genre of pop music, love that type of stuff, the Phil Spector type of vibe. The old girl bands are the epitome of pop music for me, the rest is just noise.
This thread is why music should not be discussed often in the pit.

The first thing I would like to clarify is the Metal forum's opinion: They are not "living in the glory days" they simply know a lot about Metal music and will tell you what they think of a band without sugar coating it, and that upsets a lot of people since they see it as a personal attack. Stop being candy asses.

Now, when it comes to what is and isn't Metal for them, it gets complicated and not all of them agree with each other, but usually they can tell what is definitely not Metal and what is. The reason there is confusion and arguments about it is because there are people who really want their favorite band to be Metal, god knows why.

The second thing I would like to clarify is high-guy's silly argument: Don't you think that session musicians, people who have spent their lives trying to play many different types of music with proficiency, would have more skill than a lowly Metal band? There are some damn fine Metal musicians out there, but quite a number of them didn't set out to become well-rounded, skill-full musicians, which one does not have to be to be in a Metal band.

The third and final thing I would like to clarify is bouncy music: Everyone listen to School Food Punishment, Yellowcard, The Gaslight Anthem, Goo Goo Dolls, Dave Hause, Genesis(**** specific niggas), Fallout Boy, and Cursive. Du eet.

Quote by Cavalcade
I agree, but just saying: this specific line is going to cause a shitstorm.

A shitstorm of stupid people, yeah, otherwise, nah.
@ morph

I would just like to clarify that I have nothing against metal music, and I generally respect your opinion, like I said earlier. I just don't like how they troll the shit out of threads they don't like that get posted in. It gets annoying. It's more than "just giving an honest opinion."

They've already told us their opinion. No need to come back into the thread everytime it's bumped to the top of the forum.
___

Quote by The_Blode

Need I really say more. Every now and then there is a good one but most of it is just plain bad.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Quote by WCPhils
@ morph

I would just like to clarify that I have nothing against metal music, and I generally respect your opinion, like I said earlier. I just don't like how they troll the shit out of threads they don't like that get posted in. It gets annoying. It's more than "just giving an honest opinion."

They've already told us their opinion. No need to come back into the thread everytime it's bumped to the top of the forum.

It's usually Steve who does that. The rest don't seem to care. It's sort of like the Trivium thread when it was in the Hardcore forum. We learned to ignore it and move on, so maybe you guys should try that.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
On the pop side, you've got the likes of Steve Lukather (Toto guitarist) who's done fantastic pop records as a session guitarist.

Speaking of toto, dave hungate, jeff porcaro and lee sklar are all fine examples of brilliant 'pop' musicians.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by Morphogenesis26
This thread is why music should not be discussed often in the pit.

The first thing I would like to clarify is the Metal forum's opinion: They are not "living in the glory days" they simply know a lot about Metal music and will tell you what they think of a band without sugar coating it, and that upsets a lot of people since they see it as a personal attack. Stop being candy asses.

No, but they are often very resistive to new forms of Metal, which was my point about the "glory days". I love old Metal just as much as the next guy, but this resistance to any new forms of metal is, frankly, a Metalhead stereotype that the UG Metal forum has fulfilled to a slight degree.

Now, when it comes to what is and isn't Metal for them, it gets complicated and not all of them agree with each other, but usually they can tell what is definitely not Metal and what is. The reason there is confusion and arguments about it is because there are people who really want their favorite band to be Metal, god knows why.

Agreed.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No, but they are often very resistive to new forms of Metal, which was my point about the "glory days". I love old Metal just as much as the next guy, but this resistance to any new forms of metal is, frankly, a Metalhead stereotype that the UG Metal forum has fulfilled to a slight degree.

They're pretty accepting to new Metal as long as it doesn't stray to far from the genre.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
They're pretty accepting to new Metal as long as it doesn't stray to far from the genre.

I will grant you that the UG Metal forum is better at it than most. There's a few users who bash anything new, however.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Who do that?

I've seen Steve do it a few times. Although, he seems to be the only one, now that I think about it...

So, I apologize.

Edit:
I guess, other than Steve, the UG Metal guys are generally pretty alright. They're not as elitist as some other forums I've been on.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 27, 2013,
I feel that the UG metal forum is pretty decent. The attitude of the regulars probably isn't very endearing to people who only want to discuss a select few bands that lie within the forums depths which aren't very popular with the regulars. But the recommendations are generally of a certain level which usually goes beyond surface level material. If your interested in exploring metal, it's a pretty decent resource. The only other site I can think of offhand with a similar quality level in terms of recommendations is metal archives.

Quote by crazysame23_atax
They're not as elitist as some other forums I've been on.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what people are talking about when they say the metal forum regs are elitist, I mean, we've discussed non metal music a fair bit, people were posting about synth pop in the off topic thread a couple of days ago. Not liking a few very high profile bands whose status within the world of metal is questionable doesn't equate to being a 'metal elitist'.
Last edited by Nietsche at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by Joshua Garcia

this is metal core? i dont know my genres, i listen to music and bands i think sound the same or are going for a similar sound i group.

what makes it core? i thought core was thrown in there if the band does breakdowns. youve got death metal, then if they do breakdowns theyre death metal core. you have hard music, and since they breakdown its hardcore? idk...

i just dislike a lot of music. if you take all of the pop music thats been made within the last 13 years, i probably like less than 1% of it, but that doesnt mean i automatically dislike a song because its from a certain genre. thats crazy. i just happen to hate most all of it. i dont like 99% of blues either. i think a lot of it is extremely boring and repetitive. music can be repetitive and good at the same time, but when i have to listen to something iv already heard before, i get bored. i also dont like maybe 75% of "rock" music. i think all of that is boring too.

i think the foo fighters are boring, but i dont think theyre a bad band. theres a difference. i can tell if a band is good at what they do even if i dont like the music theyre making. i think lady gaga is a good pop artist, but i think her music sucks, but shes a little original compared to everyone else right now, her music is catchy, and she makes more hits that are bareable than a lot of the other artists now that only have 1 good hit. she also knows how to make the music, which is a huge plus. i think she writes all her lyrics too. so i can respect her even if i hate her music.

i think maybe 75% of metal sucks. i think 75% of classic rock sucks. i think maybe 1% of jazz sucks, i rarely hear bad jazz. as long as it has swing im good. and i rarely hear bad classical. but a lot of classical music is just... not appealing to me, but its at least listenable. i still like most all classical music i hear.

overall my tl;dr point is, there is a lot of bad music out there, but when we start generalizing things its hard to keep track of what people actually think and what gets said. theres just as much bad pop as there is bad metal. i personally like good metal more than i like good pop more often than not.
*comes back to his own thread*
*sees the terrible beast he has created*
*regrets nothing, dives back in*
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey guys!
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob
I am slightly disappointed =w=eeze took me out of his sig.

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
Quote by Nietsche
To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what people are talking about when they say the metal forum regs are elitist, I mean, we've discussed non metal music a fair bit, people were posting about synth pop in the off topic thread a couple of days ago. Not liking a few very high profile bands whose status within the world of metal is questionable doesn't equate to being a 'metal elitist'.

No, no, you misunderstand. I'm saying (with the exception of Steve really) that the Metal Forum Regs are NOT elitist at all.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No, no, you misunderstand. I'm saying (with the exception of Steve really) that the Metal Forum Regs are NOT elitist at all.

Oh, sorry, your wording was kind of vague though. 'Not as elitist' usually implies that they're still elitist but not as much as other places.
Quote by Nietsche
Oh, sorry, your wording was kind of vague though. 'Not as elitist' usually implies that they're still elitist but not as much as other places.

Yeah, I know. I apologize.
@jrcsgtpeppers: Well, that last song may not show it the best, but they are a metalcore band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOkHzgFFFc
This one is probably a better example of what you expect.
But yeah. I think I hear what you're saying.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
It's usually Steve who does that. The rest don't seem to care. It's sort of like the Trivium thread when it was in the Hardcore forum. We learned to ignore it and move on, so maybe you guys should try that.

Fair enough. Like, I said, I only post in one or two threads. I guess it wasn't really fair to generalize everyone in the forum when I rarely see them post.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
@JGarcia:
Hey, Unearth are actually pretty cool. Don't knock them.

I'm not knocking them, I love them. I'm just posting a general example of metalcore.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I've typically directed a lot of hate towards pop music that has been over produced, painfully generic, and has annoying, repetitive lyrics. But I know it's wrong to hate a song/artist simply because the genre usually doesn't catch my attention.

I classify myself as a mild metalhead or just a plain rocker, and I've had a history of pop music disgust. But I've actually found some popular pop artists that I feel like are less deserving of my hate than others. For example - artists that I feel shouldn't been famous: Nicki Minaj, Kesha, Justin Bieber. But artists I feel have a moderately respectable musicianship: Owl City, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake. Come at me!

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24