Page 4 of 6
I think the biggest problem that causes hatred of pop is that some people think of pop only as the music that they hear played on #1 hit radio stations, and of that, only the songs that are so "annoying" that they stick in their heads. In reality, the term "pop music" encompasses waaaaaayyyyy more music than that, including much of the taste of many of the people that bash music for being "pop."
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
bcuz im 12 n i listen to rel rokk like addd, led zplin, depp purply and gunz and rosez

quote dis if u r one ov teh 2,37 % dat kno wat rel musik is

qu0ted 4 da truf bruv!

on topic - i guess because most people think that its simple to make and doesn't take too much talent/ skill (as compared to other music genres). plus now the big pop artists dont really write most of their stuff as they have a huge team who influence them too much, making their lyrics too simple.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
Last edited by midi pure at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by sloppyjoe24
I've typically directed a lot of hate towards pop music that has been over produced, painfully generic, and has annoying, repetitive lyrics. But I know it's wrong to hate a song/artist simply because the genre usually doesn't catch my attention.

I classify myself as a mild metalhead or just a plain rocker, and I've had a history of pop music disgust. But I've actually found some popular pop artists that I feel like are less deserving of my hate than others. For example - artists that I feel shouldn't been famous: Nicki Minaj, Kesha, Justin Bieber. But artists I feel have a moderately respectable musicianship: Owl City, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake. Come at me!

You're gettin' there for sure. I used to hate "over-production" or repetition and the like. Suddenly I found myself liking stuff like Kesha and Bieber BECAUSE of the production. There are obviously masterful people at work behind the scenes making that music sound slick and pretty.

I used to hate things that were just catchy without much depth, then I realized that catchiness can hold its own against depth. Also: If I like a song, I like it. I don't have to defend myself. Sometimes I choose to, but that's usually because I just like to hear myself talk.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob
I am slightly disappointed =w=eeze took me out of his sig.

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
Also worthy of note: I call eternal bullshit on the argument that pop music doesn't take much talent/skill. Anyone who says that clearly hasn't tried to make pop music that is catchy or memorable or pleasant to listen to. I DARE you to try to write a song about drinking/partying better than Ke$ha can. Go on and try. She's better than you in that respect. A lot of people have a hard time wrapping their mind around that.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
Quote by =w=eeze
You're gettin' there for sure. I used to hate "over-production" or repetition and the like. Suddenly I found myself liking stuff like Kesha and Bieber BECAUSE of the production. There are obviously masterful people at work behind the scenes making that music sound slick and pretty.

I used to hate things that were just catchy without much depth, then I realized that catchiness can hold its own against depth. Also: If I like a song, I like it. I don't have to defend myself. Sometimes I choose to, but that's usually because I just like to hear myself talk.

I still have a problem with Bieber because I still think he's quite arrogant. And attitude is something I take into account when I choose to like an artist. Taylor Swift, on the other hand, is nothing short of incredibly nice and sweet to her fans.

Really, the people that deserve the credit for most (of what I just called) "over-produced" pop songs are the sound engineers. Regardless of how generic I think it sounds, they certainly do a great job of mixing.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by =w=eeze
I DARE you to try to write a song about drinking/partying better than Ke$ha can. Go on and try. She's better than you in that respect.

'If it sucks so bad let's see you do it' is one of the lowest forms of argumentation.
Quote by Nietsche
'If it sucks so bad let's see you do it' is one of the lowest forms of argumentation.

Yea, it's like if I said an athlete sucked and someone responded with "well lets see you do it"

Of course I can't do it, but it doesn't mean he doesn't suck amongst his peers.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Swift seems like a gigantic bitch imo

She really does. She'll seem nice for a little bit, but then she'll go do something like bitching at Tina Fey and Amy Poehler for making that joke at the Golden Globes that Swift should stay away from Michael J. Fox's son. That's just the most recent stupid thing she's done.
Quote by ManInTheBox14
She really does. She'll seem nice for a little bit, but then she'll go do something like bitching at Tina Fey and Amy Poehler for making that joke at the Golden Globes that Swift should stay away from Michael J. Fox's son. That's just the most recent stupid thing she's done.

I believe she said they deserve to go to hell for making fun of her. what the hell?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I agree with a lot of things said in this thread that are in favor of pop. id rather listen to pop music than any form of rock/metal music at this point.

and justin timberlakes new album is fantastic

Quote by guitarxo
I like pop. Listening to SHM's Ultra set right now. I also like music that isn't pop.

edit: I'm not sure if SHM actually is pop but I think it is

dance music and pop music seem to have a section that is interchangeable
Last edited by Unourrit01 at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by Nietsche

That's not really what I was trying to say, but I can see how you'd get that from what I wrote. I just meant if it's not really your thing, that doesn't make it objectively bad. Like, people say Kesha sucks just because she does songs about drinking and partying and nothing else. I'm saying that singing about drinking/partying isn't inherently bad, and she's really good at what she does, she found her niche. And people call it crappy on the basis of "anyone could do that." I've personally heard that. And my response to those people is "if anyone can do it, then you give it a shot." But unless they're welcoming that response, I never use that argument.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
Last edited by =w=eeze at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by =w=eeze
Like, people say Kesha sucks just because she does songs about drinking and partying and nothing else. I'm saying that singing about drinking/partying isn't inherently bad, and she's really good at what she does, she found her niche.

Fair enough, though songs about drinking/partying aren't really my thing either. I like my pop music to be happy music about sunshine and flowers and things that don't set off my probable-autism reflex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6j4TGqVl5g

Quote by WCPhils
I believe she said they deserve to go to hell for making fun of her. what the hell?

I try my very best to stay out of celebrity gossip and defend really anybody like swift, but more often than not, the media does not hesitate to take things out of context and frame things to look like bold statements. I've spent the last three years in the media department at my university studying media coverage, yada yada, and I've learned so many outlets will frame their stories to make public figures look foolish. It's a little unwarranted.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

-Sloppyjoe24
Last edited by sloppyjoe24 at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by whywefight
Who cares

It's almost worth it to watch her videos because she's so adorable :3

She looks like ferret
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by whywefight
Ferret's are adorable too :3

She's gangly. Like me. WCPhils doesn't understand because he's 4'2" and 388lbs.

Don't factcheck that.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by WCPhils
She looks like ferret

Seems to fit to me. And, btw, ferrets are vicious. Just like Swift with her exes.

Quote by whywefight
I'll admit Swift is more ****able than ferrets

Only if you enjoy having a terrible breakup song written about you!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by Nietsche
Fair enough, though songs about drinking/partying aren't really my thing either. I like my pop music to be happy music about sunshine and flowers and things that don't set off my probable-autism reflex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6j4TGqVl5

George! My favorite Beatle! And one of my all-time favorite songs!
I don't drink or party, I just love all things catchy. It's not my main musical intake or anything.
LOVE ANTHONY GREEN?
Quote by sneyob

But that's okay.

^Consolation Sig
Last edited by =w=eeze at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Seems to fit to me. And, btw, ferrets are vicious. Just like Swift with her exes.

Only if you enjoy having a terrible breakup song written about you!

To be fair, she's tries to be a good role model by avoiding drugs and alcohol, and she tries to write relatable songs to her fans. What else is she gonna write about?

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

-Sloppyjoe24
press butan

receive pop

People are just insecure about what they like. I love pop too.

now tell me, what pop studio guitarist is better than buckethead?

Paul Jackson Jr.

Although, I do like Electric Tears.
Quote by whywefight
Now this is something I can agree with

I've been listening to waaaaaaay too much blink lately

For some reason I've been on a huge pop-punk binge, lol
___

Quote by The_Blode
I should do that

Actually, I started learning Dookie all the way through last week. Just memorizing one songs a day pretty much. Should finish that up first.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Exactly

this just played

It's Christmas Eve
And I've only wrapped 2 ****ing presents
It's Christmas Eve
And I've only wrapped 2 ****ing presents

And I hate, hate, hate your guts
I hate, hate, hate your guts
And I'll never talk to you again

Unless your dad'll suck me off
I'll never talk to you again
Unless your mum will touch my ****
Ejaculate into a sock

It's Labor day and my grandpa just ate
7 ****ing hot dogs
Labor day and my grandpa just ate
7 ****ing hot dogs

And he shit, shit, shit his pants
He's always ****ing shit his pants
And I'll never talk to you again

Unless your dad'll suck me off
Unless your mum will touch my ****
Ejaculate into a sock

so ****ing stupid
___

Quote by The_Blode
I've listened to Blink 182, but I can't get over how annoying that guy's voice is. If they got a different singer, I'd probably enjoy them.

Really getting into these guys, lately. Hilarious band name aside, they have some catchy tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxG8lGdj2zU
I don't even care about the fangirlism. It's just his voice.

Take "Stay Together For The Kids", for example.

Really tuneful song, and then the chorus comes in.

SO HEEERE'S YOUR HOOOLIDAAAY
HOPE YOU ENJOY IT THIS TOIME

No.

Would it hurt to open his mouth a bit wider?
Last edited by hriday_hazarika at Mar 27, 2013,