Page 5 of 6
Quote by anvil is god
everybody here should listen to post rock
plens

Did you mean "plebs"?

Quote by WCPhils
so ****ing stupid

Songs like that are exactly why I don't like Blink. More so because I don't like songs that are essentially "shock humor". I don't enjoy shock humor in general, and Blink has enough of those type of songs that I don't enjoy them.

I've no issue with others enjoying them though.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by WCPhils
I should do that

Actually, I started learning Dookie all the way through last week. Just memorizing one songs a day pretty much. Should finish that up first.

I'll give Dookie one two things: it's catchy as fuck and more fun to play on guitar than it really should be.

Don't really care for pop-punk at all outside of it, though. And I'm not entirely sure why. Well, other than the exaggerated (and generally fake if the band's not from Cali) California accents. Those can be grating.

EDIT: And early Weezer if that can be considered pop-punk. I think of the Blue Album as more of a power pop thing, and Pinkerton is... I hesitate to call it emo, since it's really not related to the emo that was coming out at the same time, but then it's also a pretty big influence on modern emo pop (which is unfortunately what most people think of when they think of emo).
Last edited by Holy Katana at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
This thread is why music should not be discussed often in the pit.
This sentence, right here. This thread is bearing similarities to the whole "Lead vs. Rhythm player" thread from a month back, in that everyone here just seems to be tossing around a phrase without knowing what the fuck it means.

To start, "Pop Music" is just a shortening of the term "Popular Music." And what is popular music? Music that is popular. Well no shit.

To answer the question in the OP: Mostly because many (complete idiots) have the mentality that "more popular = shit." Like the metal-elitist tards who tear down any band remotely well known and go around proclaiming how underground metal is so much "superior," when in reality it's all the same shit just with less discovery.

These are also known as pretentious hipsters who could do the world a favor by throwing themselves in front of a high velocity freight train.

On the other hand, they have a point to an extent. Generally, the mainstream prefers simple music with simple melodies, memorable hooks, and lyrics anyone can relate to with recitable choruses. Which is why generally, the record industry will try to promote bands and artists that carry these elements and try to remain simple for the average person to be able to enjoy.

Dee Snider explains the act perfectly here. Hair Metal is the subject, but you can apply almost all of it to a majority of mainstream pop:

Sometimes even artists undergo forced style-change, where they change their sound and sometimes even their genre to cater more to the mainstream crowd. Perfect examples are Def Leppard past their first 2 albums, Metallica with their Black Album, Michael Bolton after his first album (yes, Michael Bolton was once a hair metal singer).

But it goes even further: not everyone in the majority is into just the music,they after looks too. That's where the "pretty" artists come in, i.e.: the Justin Biebers, the One Directions, the Jonas Brothers-es, or in terms of females: the Taylor Swifts, the Beyonces, etc.

With these particular artists, music is the second concern. Looks and presentation are first priority. They're always dressed up in the hottest modern style with perfect hair, perfect teeth, and a perfect smile, while the lyrics are often just boys telling girls their feelings of affection, or cheesy breakup songs (whether they be ballads sung by a guy or girl, or a girl singer telling an asshole guy off).

And know this: this type of pop music is NOT just with this generation. The 00s had it, the 90s had it, the 80s had it, even the 60s and 70s had it. This is why irritating kids who always go about with the whole "music is not like it used to be" bullshit are fucking retarded.

I refer to these particular artists as "shitpop" artists, as they really have no purpose other than make a few crappy songs and look pretty, and are almost always an afterthought 2-3 years after they're prime years, with a few minor hits here and there in the years following before they go on a downward spiral and become material for celeb gossip magazines (thus providing more entertainment for mass majority).

But again: Is all popular/mainstream music utter shit that takes no talent and thought? Of course not. You've got artists such as Adelle and Mumford and Sons which, while I don't personally care for, are without a doubt not unskilled at all and very talented. These artists are popular simply because a lot of people actually enjoy them, yet they're just doing their thing with much less of the "manufactured" aspect that goes into mainstream shitpop.

Me personally, I don't care about the music's popularity level. I like it if I find it as good music. Yesterday I listened to Staind's "Break the Cycle" album, which is (or was) very mainstream rock, and had many hits. I still like several songs on it for the interesting chord usage, plus the mixing/production is spectacular.

And last but not least, as ridiculous as it sounds it really bothers me when Pop music is considered to be a genre. Let me ask: if "Pop" is short for "Popular", how does that define a style of music?

But yeah, sorry for the massive clusterfuck of a post.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Songs like that are exactly why I don't like Blink. More so because I don't like songs that are essentially "shock humor". I don't enjoy shock humor in general, and Blink has enough of those type of songs that I don't enjoy them.

I've no issue with others enjoying them though.

Well Enema of the State has no songs like that
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Well Enema of the State has no songs like that

Eh, maybe I'll check that out.

Edit:
Ah, hell! It's Ian. I'm out. Fuck this shit!

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Eh, maybe I'll check that out.

I mean, it might not be your style at all, but it is a pretty fun album

Though I think most of the love from people comes from nostalgia. Not sure how good it would be to someone who didn't listen to it when younger
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Because "Oh my gosh plebs for not listening to this shitty indie music band."
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ah, hell! It's Ian. I'm out. Fuck this shit!

I put thought into that post...
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Ian_the_fox

I put thought into that post...

If I reply to the points in your posts, I'll get annoyed. Besides, the "abandon thread" gif is great. I mean, watch until the cat gets stuck for a bit. It's great.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Ian is pretty much spot on. I disagree with his claim that 'pop' isn't a genre, though. Just because it originally stemmed from the phrase 'popular music' doesn't mean it is forever destined to mean that exact thing. It's exactly like how 'indie' has become a legitimate genre over the past decade and it no longer is just a shortened form of 'independent'.
Check out my band Disturbed
^ Agreed. And I don't even care what people think.

I don't even care that I don't care.

Sorry man it's been killing me but I just had to post that gif somewhere even though it's undeserved
I used to be one of those "fuk all buut teh Metalzz!" morons but music isn't a science so if you enjoy a specific type of music then who gives a shit. I don't listen to much stuff outside the rock and metal domain to be honest but that's just down to preference really. I will say this though, when it's the norm for artists not to write the lyrics or even the music of their songs in a genre of music then the genre does deserve allot of the criticism that it gets.
My shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
^^You two are just saying that because you want to bone Carly Rae.

Also quite the catchy tune
Quote by DukeDeRox

Also quite the catchy tune

Of course it's catchy. It wouldn't have made it out of the studio otherwise. It also wouldn't have made it out of the studio if Carly Rae wasn't a good-looking woman is my point. For every Adele, there's 5-10 skinny, cute women who don't have as good of a voice.
I don't really find her all that hot like I do Katy Perry or some others. She's just really ****in cute. And I don't care, I'll jam to that shit when I'm in my car, I don't need to see her.
Fair enough. Was mostly checking to see if that were the case.

Edit:
@CaptainCanti:
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 28, 2013,
MCR wasn't pop.
Nor influenced by pop.
They were a straight rock band.
¯\_()_/¯
Because it's the case of the dumbest people buy the mostest and mostly listen to music that has catchy beats and isn't a real challenge to listen to. Like take how many TV shows are geared towards people with short attention spans,pop music is the same thing.
Quote by Axelfox
Because it's the case of the dumbest people buy the mostest and mostly listen to music that has catchy beats and isn't a real challenge to listen to. Like take how many TV shows are geared towards people with short attention spans,pop music is the same thing.

I guarantee you that pop music is better than the shit you listen to.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Holy shit, Ian had a post that wasn't full of ignorant bullshit and it made sense. Hell has frozen over.

I'm waiting for my flying pig next
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I don't understand why people think pop = dumb

Like are you automatically dumb when you listen to pop? Does listening to this and enjoying it make you a dumb person?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98WtmW-lfeE

if anything it should be the opposite, if your mind is so weak that you think listening to a certain type of music changes your entire personality or something then YOU are dumb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4cdfRohhcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyx6JDQCslE

enjoy basking in superiority or whatever
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Mar 28, 2013,
For me guys and pop music fall often under two categories.

1. They are single and don't listen to pop music.

2. They have a woman who listens to pop music. So it grows on them a bit and doesn't really bother them much.

To be honest some of it isn't bad and is pretty listenable. The thing that kills me though is the ten to fifteen track play list that are on the radio. Same songs repeating ever hour or so. If the mainstream scene scratched the surface more there would be a lot more music in the mix of the same calibre. So you wouldn't have to hear about the same stuff all the time and it probably wouldn't bother people so much. Just my opinion...
Quote by Ian_the_fox

On the other hand, they have a point to an extent. Generally, the mainstream prefers simple music with simple melodies, memorable hooks, and lyrics anyone can relate to with recitable choruses. Which is why generally, the record industry will try to promote bands and artists that carry these elements and try to remain simple for the average person to be able to enjoy.

Pretty much this.The mainstream mostly has shit for brains. Like i was reading about how when punk rock came out that Motley Crue were told they would have a recording contract if they changed their sound and became punk. The people who run the record industry are corpoate suits who are only concerned about what sells,instead of if a band has talent. They only care if a band or singer is marketable.
Quote by fudger
For me guys and pop music fall often under two categories.

1. They are single and don't listen to pop music.

2. They have a woman who listens to pop music. So it grows on them a bit and doesn't really bother them much.

To be honest some of it isn't bad and is pretty listenable. The thing that kills me though is the ten to fifteen track play list that are on the radio. Same songs repeating ever hour or so. If the mainstream scene scratched the surface more there would be a lot more music in the mix of the same calibre. So you wouldn't have to hear about the same stuff all the time and it probably wouldn't bother people so much. Just my opinion...

This is exactly what happened to me.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by Axelfox
Pretty much this.The mainstream mostly has shit for brains. Like i was reading about how when punk rock came out that Motley Crue were told they would have a recording contract if they changed their sound and became punk. The people who run the record industry are corpoate suits who are only concerned about what sells,instead of if a band has talent. They only care if a band or singer is marketable.
That was Iron Maiden.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by element4433
That was Iron Maiden.

And neither Iron Maiden nor Motley Crue are as great as their fans make them out to be...

Quote by Axelfox

I've read numerous sources that said it was Iron Maiden, but I'm glad you can find a book on Amazon.
Of course. Both are awful.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I thought Maiden started out as punk and weren't well received. Then changed to metal. I could be wrong.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by WCPhils

I've been listening to waaaaaaay too much blink lately

For some reason I've been on a huge pop-punk binge, lol

Same here actually.
Pop music is just fun to listen to .
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Quote by StewieSwan
no YOUR opinion is wrong

Hey, Stewie, you like some Metal. Why don't you visit the Metal forum more often?...

Quote by sloppyjoe24
I thought Maiden started out as punk and weren't well received. Then changed to metal. I could be wrong.

When Maiden started, record labels couldn't get their hands on enough Punk. It's sad how much I know about Maiden, when the only CD of theirs I own is Powerslave, and I don't even really like them. They're boring to me.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Hey, Stewie, you like some Metal. Why don't you visit the Metal forum more often?...

I'd rather bathe in battery acid than associate with those neckbeards.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
And neither Iron Maiden nor Motley Crue are as great as their fans make them out to be...

I've read numerous sources that said it was Iron Maiden, but I'm glad you can find a book on Amazon.

My head hurts.