Page 4 of 5
Quote by dlowe102
OK dt25 with hd500 j45... just touch example.
https://soundcloud.com/angie-lee-hayward-lowe/test01-track-1-mix-14
Yeah, not bad but come on, it's hardly as rich and expressive as mine is it? They are certainly coming along but they haven't got there yet. Maybe in a few years but as it stands it still sounds like they've got a ways to go.
Thanks for doing that though, it's appreciated.

All that high tech and they can't match a tin can.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 3, 2013,
Quote by tubetime86
See that's either distorting or not distorting... It sounds 'on/off' whereas the clip Cathbard posted has all the 'shades of gray' in between. I also suspect you used your volume knob, or even settings on the POD, and not picking dynamics because it sounds very jumpy...

+13
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by tubetime86
See that's either distorting or not distorting... It sounds 'on/off' whereas the clip Cathbard posted has all the 'shades of gray' in between. I also suspect you used your volume knob, or even settings on the POD, and not picking dynamics because it sounds very jumpy...

I swear no volume knob...volume knob was all the way up the whole time...I have a super distortion pickup i was using. Im obviously not as good of a player. I was either picking soft or hard I didnt think to do inbetween I was showing the distance between the 2. Ill try it again in the morning with an actual song maybe I should video it to prove Im not using trickery or better yet maybe someone who is a better player who has a dt amp might post a better clip.
Can't seem to get the clip to work Cath, any other links? Gives me a blank page, or forbidden 403

EDIT: Nvm got it
Quote by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
Last edited by rudric at Apr 3, 2013,
Quote by tubetime86
Very well said, that's exactly how it sounds to me as well. I've always wanted a 18W'er and Cath's clip doesn't help

My little Champ does that attack expression thing well, but doesn't sound anywhere like a Marshall. Different animal doing the same trick. Horse vs a mule.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
There's a reason so many people say the 18W Marshall is the best blues amp of all time.

Wait ........ what? That was a super distortion? It sounded like a single coil. That's disturbing.

Btw, I wasn't thinking about how hard I was playing on that clip, I was just playing the song and that's how it came out naturally. They are so expressive that it just happens without effort.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 3, 2013,
For Computer Plugins to replace Hardware including Modeling amps and Pedals they'd have to start making computers more road worthy...Lets say for instance I wanted to use POD Farm with my laptop on stage...first I'll need a small convenient USB interface to connect cables, a sturdy stand with my laptop strapped to it, a pedalboard to switch patches, and well...cant completely get away from amp hardware because I'm going to want a Powered Monitor to blast my tone into my head(headphones on stage are annoying!). Honestly would seem a pain in the ass to hook all that crap up when I can just wheel in a nice amp on a dolly and connect a pedalboard etc.

Oh and computers like to be Jerks when you are doing something important so my luck the thing would reboot mid gig!!!
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Apr 5, 2013,
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
For Computer Plugins to replace Hardware including Modeling amps and Pedals they'd have to start making computers more road worthy...Lets say for instance I wanted to use POD Farm with my laptop on stage...first I'll need a small convenient USB interface to connect cables, a sturdy stand with my laptop strapped to it, a pedalboard to switch patches, and well...cant completely get away from amp hardware because I'm going to want a Powered Monitor to blast my tone into my head(headphones on stage are annoying!). Honestly would seem a pain in the ass to hook all that crap up when I can just wheel in a nice amp on a dolly and connect a pedalboard etc.

Oh and computers like to be Jerks when you are doing something important so my luck the thing would reboot mid gig!!!

In ear monitors FTW!!

And as far as 'road worthy' I've got a Panasonic toughbook that will take pretty much whatever you can dish out, and there's a guy here in the forum that builds radiation hardened microcircuitry for fun and profit, so I'm thinking it's doable...

All valid concerns though, but let's be honest, the Axe-FX is a computer, and it's in use pretty much everywhere...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The thing is, some people don't need 200 amp models, even if they sounded almost like the original. They are still modeling the original and will not sound the same. Original will always sound like original (obviously). Some people only need one sound, that's it. So why not buy the original if you don't need 200 amp models and effects?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
How are you supposed to play Parisienne Walkways with nothing but in ear monitors? Huh?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
How are you supposed to play Parisienne Walkways with nothing but in ear monitors? Huh?

Poorly?

Nah, I understand that there will always be a need for a few speakers on stage, but there will come a time when they needn't be powered by overpriced glass bottles and they will still sound great...

Probably not tomorrow though.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The thing is, some people don't need 200 amp models, even if they sounded almost like the original. They are still modeling the original and will not sound the same. Original will always sound like original (obviously). Some people only need one sound, that's it. So why not buy the original if you don't need 200 amp models and effects?
That's exactly my situation. I realized that almost every tone I strive for I can get from Marshall-type of amp. The VTM has been the closest thing I've gotten to it and it's incredibly versatile by itself.

I'm not much of an effects user but I do like time and modulation effects. I had an Alesis Midiverb 4 for a good while and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I found myself only using a couple of effects and there was too much going on. Too complicated for what I was using it for. Simple and to the point is the definition of my rig.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Modelling has come a long way in the last few years. Will it replace tube amps entirely? Not for some time if ever, there will always be purists or people who don't need or appreciate what modelling has to offer. No big deal IMO, live and let live, but you'd be surprised how many modern recordings arent done with pure tube amps these days. Some people don't seem to understand though that the amp models are broken down to pure amplifier and speaker cabinet separately! So those of you trying to see if a Fender Reverb sounds like a FR have to remember that the other two main selections (not to mention the the tweeking besides that) are cabinet and microphone. What the models do are analyze and reproduce the separate elements (amp, speaker and microhone) and allow you to mix and match. Hence the power of modelling. When I select an amp I get the amp only characteristics then select a cabinet and mic to go with it. Each selection alters the sound quiet drastically as all these elements colour the sound.
I chose modelling after 30+ years of tube amps becuase no one tube amp can emulate the other amps. A Vox will never sound like a Fender, which will never sounfd like a Marshall, which won't sound like a Boogie. The other thing being over looked is modelling seeks to emulate a BIG amplifier and reproduce it's sound at lower levels. Is it 100% emulation? Probably not but with patience it's well into the 90's, the rest of the vibe is up to you.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Apr 6, 2013,
I'd like to know why I need or even want to have an amp sound like 20 other amps? Shouldn't the aim of the game be achieving your own sound. I don't want to sound like heaps of other people. I go onstage as a musician, not an impersonator.

Anyway. All this talk about how good they are - somebody else have a crack at getting as much expression out of their modeller as my tin can. Talk is cheap.
Maybe somebody with a Kemper could attempt it? Until they can achieve that sort of talkback I aint interested and all this academic chatter is useless. Prove it or bugger off I say.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by KenG
Modelling has come a long way in the last few years. Will it replace tube amps entirely? Not for some time if ever, there will always be purists or people who don't need or appreciate what modelling has to offer. No big deal IMO, live and let live, but you'd be surprised how many modern recordings arent done with pure tube amps these days. Some people don't seem to understand though that the amp models are broken down to pure amplifier and speaker cabinet separately! So those of you trying to see if a Fender Reverb sounds like a FR have to remember that the other two main selections (not to mention the the tweeking besides that) are cabinet and microphone. What the models do are analyze and reproduce the separate elements (amp, speaker and microhone) and allow you to mix and match. Hence the power of modelling. When I select an amp I get the amp only characteristics then select a cabinet and mic to go with it. Each selection alters the sound quiet drastically as all these elements colour the sound.
I chose modelling after 30+ years of tube amps becuase no one tube amp can emulate the other amps. A Vox will never sound like a Fender, which will never sounfd like a Marshall, which won't sound like a Boogie. The other thing being over looked is modelling seeks to emulate a BIG amplifier and reproduce it's sound at lower levels. Is it 100% emulation? Probably not but with patience it's well into the 90's, the rest of the vibe is up to you.

Yeah, I think modeling technology is good for recordings because you have so many things to choose from to find just the right sound and it's easier to experiment with things. But I like simplicity and I don't need 200 different sounds. I don't really even use effects. I usually find one sound that I like and use it all the time. That's what I do with my RP355 even though the sounds aren't that great. But I have found one distortion sound that I really like and one clean sound that I really like and I don't need any other sounds. They are the sounds I prefer to all the other sounds I have "found" with the pedal. So I think I would do the same with a great modeler that has 200 amp models and can come so close to a tube amp that you can't really tell the difference. I would just find one good sound and use that all the time. I would just prefer that one sound over everything else the amp could do. So why wouldn't I buy the real thing? The 199 amp models would be useless for me, I would pay extra for nothing.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Cathbard
somebody else have a crack at getting as much expression out of their modeller as my tin can. Talk is cheap.
Maybe somebody with a Kemper could attempt it?

that's what i was hoping would happen.

matrixclaw has one but i don't think he can play anything that isn't chugga chugga squeelie squeelie. actually i'm not sure he even plays guitar, i think he just plays ROS through his amp over and over.

yeah but seriously, derek could probably pull it off. PM him. he'd probably be up for it.
Quote by Cathbard
I'd like to know why I need or even want to have an amp sound like 20 other amps? Shouldn't the aim of the game be achieving your own sound. I don't want to sound like heaps of other people. I go onstage as a musician, not an impersonator.

Anyway. All this talk about how good they are - somebody else have a crack at getting as much expression out of their modeller as my tin can. Talk is cheap.
Maybe somebody with a Kemper could attempt it? Until they can achieve that sort of talkback I aint interested and all this academic chatter is useless. Prove it or bugger off I say.

1 continuous sound would get awfully tiring if you heard it in every single song you played. I like more than one genre so I need more than one sound. The "öriginal sound " you're referring to is more about your playing style than your amp! People are individuals, amps aren't, unless you think that changing the tone controls consititutes a totally different sounding amp? I don't disagree though that for some people who only want one sound, the features are wasted. This was a point I made sure to mention in my review.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
1 continuous sound would get awfully tiring if you heard it in every single song you played. I like more than one genre so I need more than one sound. The "öriginal sound " you're referring to is more about your playing style than your amp! People are individuals, amps aren't, unless you think that changing the tone controls consititutes a totally different sounding amp? I don't disagree though that for some people who only want one sound, the features are wasted. This was a point I made sure to mention in my review.

What about Eddie Van Halen's tone for example? He uses the same tone in all David Lee Roth era albums. Also you might want one sound for one album, you don't want to change the sound too much in every song.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I found his sound changed some over the 1st three albums though there was no mistaking who was playing. His style always showed through which how I would define his uniqueness.
Moving on.....
I'm very pro-amp modeling. Back then you could get away with complaining about how shit it is compared to tubes, but you know it's getting more amazing by the years.

There's already amazing plugins out there.
It all honestly depends on how you want to utilize your equipment.

It will not replace tubes, but it sure as hell is coming a very long way, and you can get awesome tones out of good plugins.

It's all about how well the tube amp or plugin was made. A tube amp can beat a plugin, and a plugin can beat a tube. It just depends on quality.
You jut in a few code lines for EQ shifts and volume clipping for distortion, then of course it will be shit, but it's come way past that now.
Quote by gregs1020
that's what i was hoping would happen.

matrixclaw has one but i don't think he can play anything that isn't chugga chugga squeelie squeelie. actually i'm not sure he even plays guitar, i think he just plays ROS through his amp over and over.

yeah but seriously, derek could probably pull it off. PM him. he'd probably be up for it.
I've asked him to do it before but he basically said that he only chugs.

But come on guys. Take my clip as a challenge. Show me a modeller performing that well at picking dynamics or stfu. I'm not saying that one day something may be able to pull it off but show me one doing it now. Come on Kemper and AxeFX fans, the challenge is there - step up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's not bad but really, not even close.
Sorry, no cigar.

PS. I have seen those clips before. Like I said, it's ok and better than earlier stuff but they still haven't captured the same level of talkback, far from it.

DT series uses tubes
Quote by Clay-man
DT series uses tubes

So does an AVT. What's your point? It aint a tube amp, it's a hybrid. Different type of animal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
So does an AVT. What's your point? It aint a tube amp, it's a hybrid. Different type of animal.

+1 The DT is a hybrid amp. It has a very similar circuit to the Spider valve. The input is actually a DSP interface and not a true tube preamp. Only the power amp is all tube.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard
I've asked him to do it before but he basically said that he only chugs.

But come on guys. Take my clip as a challenge. Show me a modeller performing that well at picking dynamics or stfu. I'm not saying that one day something may be able to pull it off but show me one doing it now. Come on Kemper and AxeFX fans, the challenge is there - step up.

Not having the time to waste reading 8+ pages of posts, I went to your profile. One of your song wouldn't play despite several tries (Black magic Abbey?) The Linux one did but there was nothing special about the tone on that if that's the clip you were referring to. Not bashing your playing at all or the nice back up tracks but honestly that tone would be easy to get on any decent modelling setup.

You just don't seem to get it., modellers ARE being used by real professionals. If you don't like them, that's just fine and certainly your right to believe they are not for you. That however is not the same as disrespecting them totally as you are doing by puttng them down saying your stuff is better. So challenging amateur musicans to disprove your predjudice isn't the answer. What you think is great tone is a personal perception not god's truth. I hae to laught when most people today are listening to audio music that's been digitized in the recording process to make CDs, then converted yet again to audio thru another digital to audio conversion process and cling to the idea they are listening to analog sound (or hearing a real tube amp, think about it)
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Not having the time to waste reading 8+ pages of posts, I went to your profile. One of your song wouldn't play despite several tries (Black magic Abbey?) The Linux one did but there was nothing special about the tone on that if that's the clip you were referring to. Not bashing your playing at all or the nice back up tracks but honestly that tone would be easy to get on any decent modelling setup.

You just don't seem to get it., modellers ARE being used by real professionals. If you don't like them, that's just fine and certainly your right to believe they are not for you. That however is not the same as disrespecting them totally as you are doing by puttng them down saying your stuff is better. So challenging amateur musicans to disprove your predjudice isn't the answer. What you think is great tone is a personal perception not god's truth. I hae to laught when most people today are listening to audio music that's been digitized in the recording process to make CDs, then converted yet again to audio thru another digital to audio conversion process and cling to the idea they are listening to analog sound (or hearing a real tube amp, think about it)

You're really missing the point...
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Here's the clip I was talking about, to save you looking back a page.

http://cathbard.com/files/sibly.mp3

I don't give a shit who uses what. Show me something that has that level of talkback. I'm not even saying nothing can. I'm just throwing it out there as a challenge. I don't care about any of that ^ shit. How it's mastered is irrelevant, I am talking about how it reacts to your picking. Show me or gtfo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 6, 2013,
If you want I suggest someone who can do it to record a DI signal and reamp it through a real amp and a kemper. A/B test.
I understand that amp modelers are popular, and they are even being used by pros, but nothing beats plugging into a really great amp, and if you own the thing thats even better. In my case when I bought my twin reverb it changed my life, I'm sure every other person here can say the same thing about whatever amazing amp they have and love. It's all preference anyway, and I think that's what makes it better, it prevents us from all turning into robots and sounding the same.

I forget who mentioned it but someone mentioned something about 200 amp models and then there was an opposed opinion on that (Cath?) I too don't see what's so great about having so many options. I'd much rather have a solid single sound and color it with other things like a pedal or different actual amps. It's almost like everyone seems to think it's this big mystery on all the different tones guitarists have got over the years, is it possible that even the people who created it might not be able to get the same sound again? I just don't think any of it truely matters, build your rig how you like it, and just play, if you get something good out of it that you like, mission accomplished, maybe someone else will talk about your sound on some forum site somewhere.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
For me, when using a modeler the biggest dealbreaker is having to play through monitors or headphones. They sound a bit sterile to me. I think the cab element is what is usually missing. But if you use the modeler with a power amp and a cab I think it can be great.
Quote by Sethis
For me, when using a modeler the biggest dealbreaker is having to play through monitors or headphones. They sound a bit sterile to me. I think the cab element is what is usually missing. But if you use the modeler with a power amp and a cab I think it can be great.

This approach is supported on some modellers (mine for instance) you select amp mode and some of the simulation is disabled to make up for the colour provided by a guita amp & cabinet. Ideally with a good modeller you use FRFR amps and speakers so they don't mess (colour) with the amp simulations which are tweeked to mimic the amp & cabs effect on the sound. Some people overlook this and are surpised when the model doesn't sound correct.
Moving on.....
I've owned my 11 Rack since Xmas and it still amazes me... and I have tube amps & SS amps sitting here. I wouldn't think twice about giggin' with a Rack setup if I was still a young man. I'd buy a bunch of 4/12 cabs and a bigassed Crown Poweramp for my Rack and it would "make em dance"... I assure you.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Apr 7, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
Here's the clip I was talking about, to save you looking back a page.

http://cathbard.com/files/sibly.mp3

I don't give a shit who uses what. Show me something that has that level of talkback. I'm not even saying nothing can. I'm just throwing it out there as a challenge. I don't care about any of that ^ shit. How it's mastered is irrelevant, I am talking about how it reacts to your picking. Show me or gtfo.

I literally can't because my noise floor of my interface wouldn't allow me to be that dynamic without noise drowning out the quiet picking.

You're right, a modeler isn't very good at handling dynamics like a tube. They probably compress very differently than one another.
It depends on how it's coded. I've seen some modelers be nice in dynamics, but probably not as much as a tube.

I was using a hi watt style amp for a lot of stuff on my computer, and you can control the gain, but it's still a bit hard to clean up, but like I said, I already throw noise gates in front of them because of the noise floor of my interface being shit, so that's why I can't get super clean.
Last edited by Clay-man at Apr 7, 2013,
That AxeFX clip above isn't bad though, certainly streets ahead of the Line 6 DT. It may not be as dynamic as an 18W'er but then again, what is?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thats his point, you really can't get those kind of dynamics out of a modeler yet. Maybe you can someday, but not yet. Until then some spart parts in a jack daniels tin is gonna win out for dynamics.

Now, these kinds of amps are hard to try out in person, but if you ever have a chance to try a dr Z mazerati do it. Its extremely responsive like Cathbard's little jack daniels amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Apr 7, 2013,
I still want to hear a Kemper played on the edge of distortion. Come on guys, one of you out there must be able to knock something up. I keep hearing how good they are but I'm yet to hear anybody post a clip that demonstrates any real dynamics; they've all been dead clean or chugga chugga. Surely some bluesman out there has one. Let's hear it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification