I was never good with this kind of stuff so I need some help.

My guitar is currently set up for Drop B. If I want to go back to standard tuning I can't just tune it back up right? This causes problems so it needs to be re adjusted?

Well what exactly do I need to do? Also my current strings are 13-56. I prefer heaver strings so will they work well in standard?
Get a new guitar to play in standard
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well I don't have any intention of playing in Drop B anymore with this guitar.
13s are pretty heavy for drop B (that's a C# on the 1st string, right?) I use 12s for C std (Drop A#), and that's pretty tight, IMO (on a 24.75" scale. What scale is your guitar?).

11s would probably suit your tastes in Standard, or maybe 10s with a heavy bottom (11-49 or 10-52).

Just try that first.

Tension is all about balance. Heavy strings balance out low tunings. If you raise your tuning, and lower your string tension an equal amount, you won't have to touch your truss rod at all. Very simple physics concept that a lot of people don't realize or grasp, so they assume that changing tuning = adjusting truss rod. Often you don't have to, as long as you're complimenting your tuning changes with appropriate string tension changes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
13s are pretty heavy for drop B (that's a C# on the 1st string, right?) I use 12s for C std (Drop A#), and that's pretty tight, IMO (on a 24.75" scale. What scale is your guitar?).

11s would probably suit your tastes in Standard, or maybe 10s with a heavy bottom (11-49 or 10-52).

Just try that first.

Tension is all about balance. Heavy strings balance out low tunings. If you raise your tuning, and lower your string tension an equal amount, you won't have to touch your truss rod at all. Very simple physics concept that a lot of people don't realize or grasp, so they assume that changing tuning = adjusting truss rod. Often you don't have to, as long as you're complimenting your tuning changes with appropriate string tension changes.

+1
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Haven't we seen this thread before?

"So I change tunings EVERY OTHER DAY and I was wondering how should I set my guitar up to compensate for the change?"

"Adjust the truss rod!"
"No, you flid! Adjust the bridge!"
"You're ALL wrong!! Adjust the truss rod AND the bridge!"

Just buy yourself a different guitar for special tunings.

I already recognize W4rpig from this discussion
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Mar 27, 2013,
You'll probably need new, lighter strings.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Offworld92

Just try that first.

MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
you'd have to re-setup the guitar.
also, new lighter strings. id go with 11-54. I play them in standard, and it's no problem at all.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I'm sorry but this thread should never exist, it seriously annoys me that this thread exists and that you people are being so nice
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by ProgFripp74
it seriously annoys me that this thread exists and that you people are being so nice

Oh no, I annoyed some random douche on the internet....
Quote by ProgFripp74
I'm sorry but this thread should never exist, it seriously annoys me that this thread exists and that you people are being so nice

I apologize for not being an expert with my guitar from a hardware perspective. Get over yourself.
Last edited by DudE132 at Mar 28, 2013,
Quote by jthm_guitarist
You'll probably need new, lighter strings.

What would make you say that? I play a .10-.60 set in E standard with a 25.5 scale guitar. I rather like all of the tension.

Quote by DudE132
I apologize for not being an expert with my guitar from a hardware perspective. Get over yourself.

Don't be mad at him, some folks just get mad at seeing some of the same old threads, don't feed into them and you'll do fine. Some of these guys are full willing to take a suspension just to laugh at a flame war they lure you into.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Mar 28, 2013,
Quote by Viban
What would make you say that? I play a .10-.60 set in E standard with a 25.5 scale guitar. I rather like all of the tension.

That's cool, even Stevie Ray Vaughn used .013s on his strat. But the OP seems to me like "if you have to ask..."

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.