i want to devise a list or a chart showing the minimum wage every so many years and the cost of various things like milk eggs gasoline average monthly rent, mcdonalds, movie tickets, hookers, cars, important things. anyone wana help throw down info?

once people post some info il make a list in this here OP.

1960 - $1.00 an hour
$0.31 gallon of gas - $0.57 dozen eggs - $0.49 gallon of milk - 5.5% unemployment

1965 - $1.25 an hour
$0.31 gallon of gas - $0.53 dozen eggs - $0.95 gallon of milk - 5.2% unemployment

1970 - $1.60 an hour
$0.36 gallon of gas - $0.62 dozen eggs - $1.15 gallon of milk - 3.5% unemployment

1975 - $2.10 an hour
$0.57 gallon of gas - $0.77 dozen eggs - $1.57 gallon of milk - 5.6% unemployment

1980 - $3.10 an hour
$1.25 gallon of gas - $0.91 dozen eggs - $2.16 gallon of milk - 5.8% unemployment

1985 - $3.35 an hour
$1.20 gallon of gas - $0.80 dozen eggs - $2.26 gallon of milk - 7.5% unemployment

1990 - $3.80 an hour
1.16 gallon of gas - $1.00 dozen eggs - $2.78 gallon of milk - 5.3% unemployment

1995 - $4.25 an hour
$1.15 gallon of gas - $1.16 dozen eggs - $2.96 gallon of milk - 6.1% unemployment

2000 - $5.15 an hour
$1.70 gallon of gas - $0.96 dozen eggs - $2.79 gallon of milk - 4.0% unemployment

2013 - $7.25
$3.90 gallon of gas - $1.50 dozen eggs - $3.54 gallon of milk - 8.5% unemployment

looking at this chart, today i can buy 1 gallon of gas, 1 dozen eggs, and 1 gallon of milk for $8.94, and i make $7.25 an hour. in 1960 i could buy all those for $1.37 and i made $1 an hour. in 1960 you could buy 3 of all of those for just over $4, requiring 4 hours of work. now if i bought 3 of each it would cost me just under $27 requiring 4 hours of work. so i guess everything is even and i shouldnt complain.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Mar 27, 2013,
I liked your 'hookers' joke -_-
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
holy shit, i like that chart. i work at mcdonalds, and im outraged at the amount of work i put in and the amount of pay i receive. i work hard at mcdonalds, its not hard work, but you have to work hard and quickly, and i make anywhere from $120 - $320 a 2 week pay period. i know many people making more on unemployment! i cant live on my own, cant afford to go to college, cant doanything.
I make minimum wage at a golf course, repair computers, and tutor, just so I can go to community college. You can always do something.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
You aint even gotta work to go to college really, my brother just sits on loans and grants. Granted, you gonna be paying back loans for a while, but you're still gonna be better off than making 7.25 at McDonalds.

And how are you asking us to contribute? Just throw down my pay and expenses or what?
Last edited by pugachev at Mar 27, 2013,
Quote by pugachev
You aint even gotta work to go to college really, my brother just sits on loans and grants. Granted, you gonna be paying back loans for a while, but you're still gonna be better off then making 7.25 at McDonalds.

+1
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
holy shit, i like that chart. i work at mcdonalds, and im outraged at the amount of work i put in and the amount of pay i receive. i work hard at mcdonalds, its not hard work, but you have to work hard and quickly, and i make anywhere from $120 - $320 a 2 week pay period. i know many people making more on unemployment! i cant live on my own, cant afford to go to college, cant doanything.

Look for another job.
I'm a firm believer that an actual four year college is still the way to go... not technical school, college. Otherwise, all you can get are jobs that don't pay more than $3-5 above minimum wage at best. Unless you're happy working on an assembly line or installing cable the rest of your life, because those are the only kinds of jobs you can actually live off of without a college degree. And personally I have higher aspirations than working somewhere wearing a shirt with my name embroidered on it. Even though I pretty much got a free ride through technical school through grants and financial aid, I'm going to college to get at least an associate's degree. I don't care how many loans I have to take out, and I still don't know exactly what I want to do (although I have a few ideas), anything is better than working crappy blue collar jobs with a bunch of slack-jawed hee-hawing yokels.

...Sorry, it's a touchy subject for me.
Quote by Dirge Humani
*hours needed to afford apartment*

Meh, I think that's kind of misleading.

This is assuming that you're on absolute minimum wage renting an entire apartment by yourself, which I'm assuming is gathered from average rate of the entire state. Too many factors to consider here. Many absolute minimum wage earners are sharing apartments, so we can cut those work hours by half or more. And they tend to live in poorer areas that can have much cheaper rent than affluent areas.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
My state shares the lowest amount of hours needed to afford an apartment. That explains a lot.
Quote by CaptDin
I'm a firm believer that an actual four year college is still the way to go... not technical school, college. Otherwise, all you can get are jobs that don't pay more than $3-5 above minimum wage at best. Unless you're happy working on an assembly line or installing cable the rest of your life, because those are the only kinds of jobs you can actually live off of without a college degree. And personally I have higher aspirations than working somewhere wearing a shirt with my name embroidered on it. Even though I pretty much got a free ride through technical school through grants and financial aid, I'm going to college to get at least an associate's degree. I don't care how many loans I have to take out, and I still don't know exactly what I want to do (although I have a few ideas), anything is better than working crappy blue collar jobs with a bunch of slack-jawed hee-hawing yokels.

...Sorry, it's a touchy subject for me.

Going to a trade school isn't such a bad idea. Welders, pipe fitters, electricians, and plumbers are in fairly high demand.

Don't get me wrong I'm in college to but those people still have lots of career opportunities.
Quote by pugachev
You aint even gotta work to go to college really, my brother just sits on loans and grants. Granted, you gonna be paying back loans for a while, but you're still gonna be better off than making 7.25 at McDonalds.

And how are you asking us to contribute? Just throw down my pay and expenses or what?

+1
Student loans yo

Just make sure you are serious about school and are going to come out with a degree you can use to pay them off.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M