Does my bass drum on my drum kit need a hole in it? And if I were to do that where should i cut it and how?
-Let the led out-
It doesn't need a hole in it, no. It just changes the sound slightly.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Its for micing up a kit if im not mistaken.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
Its for micing up a kit if im not mistaken.

That is one of the reasons, yes. You can mic it up inside to get the sound of the beater hitting the head and outside to get the "boom" sound from the front head.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
So, what should i do? My bass drum at the moment sounds rather quite.... what is yours like?
-Let the led out-
I'm not sure it's going to change the volume very much... you'll just have to hit the pedal harder.
EH

Quote by Led Zep fan
So, what should i do? My bass drum at the moment sounds rather quite.... what is yours like?

The hole will help increase definition, it won't really give you much of a discernible increase in volume. You may have your beater set too close to the head, move the angle backward a bit. If that's not the cause, like the fellow above me said, just hit the pedal harder.

As for the actual operation. Put the head down on a flat surface and position a splash cymbal or some other object of desirable diameter where you want the hole and then cut around it with a box cutter. And that's that, bass head with a hole in it.
Quote by Second Rate
The hole will help increase definition, it won't really give you much of a discernible increase in volume. You may have your beater set too close to the head, move the angle backward a bit. If that's not the cause, like the fellow above me said, just hit the pedal harder.

As for the actual operation. Put the head down on a flat surface and position a splash cymbal or some other object of desirable diameter where you want the hole and then cut around it with a box cutter. And that's that, bass head with a hole in it.

You sir, are a genius (at least in my eyes). I never thought to use a splash to cut the hole!
Quote by Second Rate

Good idea, as long as it's not too much of a big one: you don't need it to be any bigger than about 6" (15 cm). Otherwise you will just end up losing all the sound of the front head.
EH

To cut the hole do this.... Only this. Get a metal can the diameter you want. Lay the head on a flat surface that won't be easily ruined by melted plastic. Heat the can up on the stove (electric stove works better). Then take said can and put it on the head where you want it, twisting back and forth. The can will cut a perfectly round hole in the head and the melted edge will keep the hole from tearing. Check Youtube, bet there's videos on it.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
If your gonna cut it. Have it no larger than 5 inches and no smaller than 3 inches. Also cut off centre, DO NOT cut into the middle of the skin and do not put more than one hole in it.
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.