So I am a total noob at everything amp building related, but I was wondering if this is at all possible. I want to make a 3 channel amp head; Clean, Drive and Distortion. But I want the clean to be based on a Fender '57 Deluxe, the drive channel to be based a Marshall JVM410H, and the Distortion channel to be based on the ENGL E530 preamp or Fireball head. Each channel would have individual EQ's and their own volume (in addition to a master, of course.) and a Noise Gate that is only active on the Drive and Distortion channels instead of a presence control. Am I punching WAY above my weight here?
Well it's doable but it'd be a hell of a lot of doing. Plus you'd be looking at an ungodly amount of tubes. I'd say that you're looking at a huge battle here if you want to do this and you've never built an amp before.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
i think what you should do is build three different amplifiers with a footswitch to route your signals. but yes, it's possible. i dont know if YOU can, because you only described yourself as a "total noob".
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Is it hard to just make a two channel amp with just a basic clean tone and a Marshall-y overdrive?
Sorry if I'm being a heathen here, but isn't this the sort of problem amp modelling multi-fx units are supposed to address?

Of course it wouldn't be quite the same as the real thing and nowhere near as impressive-looking. But they're a lot more convenient.

Otherwise, I'd say EC has the right plan.
it really depends how good you want it to sound, how much money you're gonna pour into this project, and how much time you're willing to spend. you'll need a LOT of new tools if you've never done this before.

all three amps you mention had different power sections. to completely emulate all three amps, you want all three amps in separate boxes. preferably, with their "correct" cabs.

if you're fine with using the same power section (including phase inverter) and speakers + cab, then you can talk preamp.

all three have different preamp sections, so you'd want to make separate preamp sections. how many 12AX7 (or 12AY7 for the '57 twin) does each amp have for the preamp section? '57 twin technically has 2 i think, marshalls have 2, and i'm guessing engl has three. you'd need 7 preamp tubes and space for all those.

i got tired of thinking about what to type, but i think you know what i'll say. you shouldn't put all the amps you want to have into one amp. it might be impressive, but it'll be a lot easier for you to start with an easier amp ('57 twin, with a lot of kits out there) then make more amps as you go. after one amp, you even have an option to stop.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
You might be happy with finding a rack version of each amp's pre-amp with some midi sorcery you could get it switchable between them and have a power amp that you can change out as you see fit aswell.

If you wanna find out more on racks I know cathbard knows a thing or two, he may be a fussy old Australian guy but he knows more about midi switching and rack gear than I do and I'm a tech savvy suburban white boy
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Mar 28, 2013,
Yeah I had a look for a rack mount Fender preamp and I couldn't find much. I guess Kemper or AxeFx is the next step.

I don't mind, I'm an Australian guy too haha.
Can be done, has been done, and I own an amp that does it. Check out the Blackstar HT Stage range, mine is the HT60, one mean full-valve monster. Has a dedicated clean channel, one bluesy/rocky Drive channel or as I call it the 'Orange overdrive' (you can crank it to OD) and one beefy fullmetal overdrive or the 'Red overdrive' as I call it (which you can crank to full on distortion).

I guess you could DIY, but I'd really recommend trying the Blackstar HT Stage, I absolutely swear by it. The very specific stuff you want will be hard to find I might add, and some of what you want sounds like it would require a fighter-jet dashboard of controls (EQs for each channel? Really?), but I'm sure you could find something near to what you want on the market these days.
Last edited by EqualOfHeaven at Mar 28, 2013,
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
Can be done, has been done, and I own an amp that does it. Check out the Blackstar HT Stage range, mine is the HT60, one mean full-valve monster. Has a dedicated clean channel, one bluesy/rocky Drive channel or as I call it the 'Orange overdrive' (you can crank it to OD) and one beefy fullmetal overdrive or the 'Red overdrive' as I call it (which you can crank to full on distortion).

I guess you could DIY, but I'd really recommend trying the Blackstar HT Stage, I absolutely swear by it. The very specific stuff you want will be hard to find I might add, and some of what you want sounds like it would require a fighter-jet dashboard of controls (EQs for each channel? Really?), but I'm sure you could find something near to what you want on the market these days.

That's not the same, it's just a well built three channel amp with good cleans and dirts. Honestly though TS, It's probably not in your skill range to do this. Get a decent modelling amp or axefx or something and you'll be satisfied and probable save a finger or two (chassis's are sharp )

I basically do what you want with a fender cyber-twin SE for my live stuff (twin tone for clean, tweed deluxe for dirt) Sure, it's not exactly like playing those amps with an a/b switcher, but it sounds good and that's what matters. Although from hearing the real amps it's pretty close, but it sounds good even if it's not a perfect emulation. It also has good marshall, hiwatt, and voxy tones.
I have the HT40, I'm pretty sure it's just a two channel.

Yeah might save my money for Kemper! Cheers guys!
Hi MitchRB,

why just not get an E530 and mod it to your likes. An E530 has the distortion u want, and the clean channel, besides a few very tiny differences is basically a Fender setup. The Tone controls for the lead channel is almost Marshall-like. So u r pretty much there. I think to change the drive sound it would only take a change of the gridvoltage in the overdrive stage(s). If you'd make this switchable, I think you'd be done.
Maybe not easy for a noob, but at ampbooks.com you'll find everything u need to learn about tube-sound.
Maybe I should try this mod myself....

Who suggested modelling ?
Last edited by Tubetinkerer at Apr 1, 2013,