Page 1 of 2
Anyone else noticed a trend in vocalists being ridiculously short lived in bands nowadays?

I just read about Monuments losing their vocalist so that's 3 they've gone through now.
TesseracT are another band which have gone through 3 vocalists and Periphery have also gone through 3 vocalists, and this is only in one small genre of metal.

Now I know that it's a natural cycle for a lot of bands to lose members but lately it seems more and more common for vocalists to leave or get fired for no obvious reason.

Any thoughts on this rather depressing trend?
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
no they aren't
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
further seems forever is the only one that comes to mind and i think they just got their original lead singer back.
I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given.
And for some reason Dream Theater still have theirs #bandwagon

I love the guy. LOVE!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Singers think the own the place so we have to take them down a notch somehow.
Quote by ProgFripp74
Anyone else noticed a trend in vocalists being ridiculously short lived in bands nowadays?

I just read about Monuments losing their vocalist so that's 3 they've gone through now.
TesseracT are another band which have gone through 3 vocalists and Periphery have also gone through 3 vocalists, and this is only in one small genre of metal.

Now I know that it's a natural cycle for a lot of bands to lose members but lately it seems more and more common for vocalists to leave or get fired for no obvious reason.

Any thoughts on this rather depressing trend?

Or perhaps that small selection of bands are all pricks to the singers?
Quote by JackalUK
Or perhaps that small selection of bands are all pricks to the singers?
Or perhaps their singing range is not fit for the music the band is trying to make?
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
OR! Singing is overrated.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
the classic vocalist in a band might die out. Luckily.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Addonexus408
Thats cause those vocalists got sick of djent.

Oooohh low blow... but maybe
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Crofty89

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by Neo Evil11
OR! Singing is overrated.

THIS!

can't believe nobody actually said that.

wait there was someone else saying that singers think they own the place.

That's why I murdered the vocalists from the past bands and now am doing instrumental music for 3 years already.

for that matter I dont have any other band members either and I'm working completely alone unless it's a big gig and I rent session musicians who just do whatever they have to do and relate to their job professionally.

Vendetta V

Quote by Vendetta V
THIS!

That's why I murdered the vocalists from the past bands and now am doing instrumental music for 3 years already.

for that matter I dont have any other band members either and I'm working completely alone unless it's a big gig and I rent session musicians who just do whatever they have to do and relate to their job professionally.

Vendetta V

The whole ending with your username and the flaming emoticon is so cool.

Neo Evil11

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Vendetta V
THIS!

Vendetta V

instrumental music without choirs and backing vocals tends to get boring after less than 3 years.

only people who can't sing/do it terrible would stay away from singing completely.
Quote by Neo Evil11
The whole ending with your username and the flaming emoticon is so cool.

Neo Evil11

Trowzaa

Not necessarily related to the bands mentioned (not a fan of them so couldn't really say) but I agree that vocalists' careers are often shorter these days in some styles of music but that could be for many reasons.

For a start, there's lots more people in bands these days but vocal lessons/training still seem to be something snubbed at by many in the rock and metal world, so you might have a band getting big but their singer knows nothing about looking after their voice and end up struggling when their first big tour comes along and they're expected to sing and perform at a high level for two or three consecutive nights, have a day or two to rest and then repeat the cycle for a month or more.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by ProgFripp74
Oooohh low blow... but maybe

Why do you think Animals As leaders has no singer then again, AAL is on a completely different level
So, two fairly young bands are having stability issues and thats apparently a trend? All it shows is that these sort of perfectionist bands aren't in it for the long haul.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
if you're a perfectionist and keen on writing your own music you should go solo and then bring in people to lay down drums, bass, piano, vocals etc when needed.

that's what I do atm.

writing all my own stuff for my solo album, some together with my friend who's gonna produce and play some lead parts on it, and then I might bring in other friends for specific stuff that we cant do ourselves. but hopefulyl I can lay down the bass, most vocal parts and possibly piano/keyboard/harmonica either by myself or that my friend can.

playing in a serious band is a pain in the ass. at least for me as I want the music to be me 100 % which I can't reach in a band and I doubt anyone else feel it either.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Mar 28, 2013,
Quote by Jako215
The Contortionist is looking for their third vocalist now.

I heard the others got kicked for being out of shape.

I'm here all week!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Obviously, the reason for that happening to the bands the TS mentioned is because of the constant search for the answer to this ultimate question: "Can we find an even girlier singer?"
Quote by CoreysMonster
Obviously, the reason for that happening to the bands the TS mentioned is because of the constant search for the answer to this ultimate question: "Can we find an even girlier singer?"

The thing is, all the girly singers in music are still around
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Crofty89

Last edited by ProgFripp74 at Mar 28, 2013,
I think you just happen to like a selection of bands that have changed singers...

In most every band I know the singer is the last band member that would change. I see things like guitarists and drummers etc changing, but comparatively almost no singers. When you compare the number of musicians that change in and out to vocalists, you'll realise there is no great "trend" of vocalists dying out.
In a quality, established band a good singer/frontman is for the most part irreplaceable.
Doesnt matter about periphery, spence has been with them since the first album.

Tesseract...yeah I dunno what the ****s up with that but im hoping they dont go down hill.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by ProgFripp74
Nah, it's the djent.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

#wolfie2017 #freegyros #gifsftw G7#9
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Incidentally, James is DT's third vocalist

Third? Did they have someone before Charlie Dominici? Oh, probably back when they first started and they were called Majesty or whatever.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I've always thought bands with a dedicated singer were kinda lame anyways, IMO. Pick up an instrument or gtfo and leave the music to the musicians.

Except Ray Davies, he's the man and can do anything he wants.
Quote by lucky1978
I've always thought bands with a dedicated singer were kinda lame anyways, IMO. Pick up an instrument or gtfo and leave the music to the musicians.

Except Ray Davies, he's the man and can do anything he wants.

You're simple.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by DonGlover
You're simple.

Thank you for noticing, I've been trying.
Wait, wait, wait...because a few bands TS likes have had trouble keeping a vocalist, it means vocalists are "a dying breed"? That's the worst logic ever!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Wait, wait, wait...because a few bands TS likes have had trouble keeping a vocalist, it means vocalists are "a dying breed"? That's the worst logic ever!

I'm only using these bands as an example because they have all gone through a lot of vocalists recently, they don't define music as a whole I'm simply saying that I'm noticing this more and more.
Also, I didn't mean vocalists were a dying breed it just seems that they are more disposable nowadays.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Crofty89

Quote by ProgFripp74
I'm only using these bands as an example because they have all gone through a lot of vocalists recently, they don't define music as a whole I'm simply saying that I'm noticing this more and more.
Also, I didn't mean vocalists were a dying breed it just seems that they are more disposable nowadays.

And I'm saying that they're not. You're looking at a very, very narrow scope of the the big picture of music with vocals and coming to a conclusion that just isn't true. Fact is, most bands need vocalists. Whether that means one of the instrumentalists sings or they hire a dedicated singer, it doesn't change the fact bands aren't just firing vocalists left and right for arbitrary reasons.
Quote by Demon Wolf
I heard the others got kicked for being out of shape.

I'm here all week!

Badum Tssssss

Vocalists are not dying out. They are just all the same so the band members trade them around like Pokemon cards.
Page 1 of 2